What to wear in Italy? Watch

DizzyWeasel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm going on holiday to Italy in mid august. I've read that it's going to be really hot in Rome (most Romans apparently leave the city in August because it's so warm) but also that I won't be allowed into a lot of the churches and attractions if I am "inappropriately dressed". I'm figuring this means having shoulders and knees covered?

No idea what I'm going to wear without overheating!
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went to Rome at the end of August and it was so hot!

You are meant to have your knees and shoulders covered, but not everyone did... Best to be safe tho. It just means taking a shawl or wearing a cardigan - something you can take off when you don't need it! As for knees - a skirt long enough to cover them, linen trousers or 3/4 lengths would be fine
Samz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i was in rome in august last year and it was absolutely boilinggg. not really unbearable though, cos there's literally taps all around the place for you to fill up water bottles from so it's not like you're ever without water.
most churches won't let you in without shoulders and knees covered although some supply these like plastic raincoat type things? kinda like the things you get at festivals. the vatican doesnt though, and they are very very strict. i had to buy a scarf to wrap around my waist, haha. i'd go for like light linen trousers.. a few girls wore skirts and then just put leggings underneath them? and just take a light cardigan, then you don't have to be covered for the entire day.
Dollaleigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i was in rome in mid june and it was boiling so im guessing its gonna be really hot when youre there. youre right about the churches. they always want shoulders covered, they didnt seem quite so bothered about knees in some but id advise covering them anyway.
you'll be better off wearing light cotton clothing but make sure you take something you can cover up with incase you burn. also an elasticated waistband may be in order if you eat as much ice cream as me and my mates!! its like 2euros for 3 flavours. the best ice cream shops are called blue ice or something like that
DizzyWeasel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
OK so skirts with leggings would be seen as acceptable? Then I can just slip them on before I go in. A scarf or shawl sounds like a good idea I didn't think of that.

Sorted. Thanks!
Dollaleigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yea sounds good to me.

quick bit of advice: watch out for pickpockets, they're everywhere!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1583)
79.31%
Leave (413)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise