Parental Learning Allowance and Adult Dependents Grant Watch

sonnymuncher
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am a bit confused!! I have had my Student Finance application approved and I am entitled to the maximum loan and grant but they say I am not entitled to any Parental Learning Allowance or Adult Dependants Grant because our household income is too high. I have a part-time job and earn in the region of 7.5K a year, my husband has just lost his job so he is getting JSA and we get tax credits of about 8K a year based on my P/T earnings. The letter I had back gives no indication of how they arrived at this decision. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have expected to receive something based on our income. Our allowable outgoings come to about £700 a month, so I'm wondering whether this has any bearing on it. Does anyone have any experience of this? Student Finance were particularly unhelpful when I rang them and told me to fill in Section 9 (PN1) or send another CO1 form (I have already done this once!) showing a change in income. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tashalls
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most students dont have more then 7.5K a year from student finance.
sonnymuncher
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
From what I've been reading on the internet, it's not necessarily based on your income, some who have got PLA have spouses earning 18K+, but more on the amount of residual income left after allowable expenses are taken off. They've probably got it right, but I'm one of those people who won't believe anything I'm told until I've seen something in black and white to back it up. Student Finance have not done this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.56%
Leave (375)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed