The Student Room Group

Scott Cornwall Colour B4 Hair Colour Removal - Anyone used it?

http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4.-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert._1000976/

I've been dying my hair for a while and at the moment I've got the Schwarzkopf Live XXL 'Red Passion' on it.
I want to go back to my natural hair colour now cos my hair's getting too damaged from the amount I'm dying it.

Saw this product and the reviews seem really good for it but I just wanted some more opinions before I go spending my money on it? :smile:

Any help's appreicated :yup:

Please quote me :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I have used it and was fairly pleased with it - not amazing results, but the Extra Strength one did manage to get some of the brunette dye out of my hair and lighten it up, although not completely like it claims. I'm not sure it'll work as well for you because of the type of dye you've been using, however:

Scott Cornwall
"The issue I have with XXL is it contains a huge amount of sillicone which isn't a problem, unless you use straightening irons over 200 degrees in heat. Then the sillicone hits it's boiling point and melts inside the hair. Then nothing can ever get the stuff out - not even bleach.

I get so many really rude e-mails from people saying Coloiur B4 has been a waste of money and it always turns out they've used XXL and then been battering their hair with boiling hot irons. They are always amazed when I make them do a bleach strand test to discover even that won't lighten it away.."
Reply 3
Hey,
was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.
I've been dying my hair for years and atm it's very dark brown. I want to lighten it enough to be able to have it a red/ginger kind of colour. I've looked into the bleaches they sell at boots and superdrug but they are all 40vol peroxides and i'm only looking for about 20vol. I don't want blonde hair I just need my hair to be light enough to take a red/ginger dye. Can anyone help? I've heard about the B4 colour remover thing but because my hair has been so many colours I don't know what colour it would go if I used that.
Reply 4
MsVixen
Hey,
was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.
I've been dying my hair for years and atm it's very dark brown. I want to lighten it enough to be able to have it a red/ginger kind of colour. I've looked into the bleaches they sell at boots and superdrug but they are all 40vol peroxides and i'm only looking for about 20vol. I don't want blonde hair I just need my hair to be light enough to take a red/ginger dye. Can anyone help? I've heard about the B4 colour remover thing but because my hair has been so many colours I don't know what colour it would go if I used that.

I dyed my hair loads too, and my hairs gone a gingery colour after using colour b4 :smile:
But you can dye your hair straight after so if it didnt go the colour you wanted you can change it straight away :smile:
Reply 5
Just seen that this got bumped at tbh I would say that nearly anyone is much better off going to a proper hairdresser and letting them sort it out. I tried the Colour B4,following the instructions exactly, and it took the dye off the upper half of my hair well but not the bottom half, and while it wasn't quite a Cruella Deville effect it didn't look great!
Reply 6
yes, turned my hair ******* ginger. scott cornwall you are a **** sir
Reply 7
Rhii
I dyed my hair loads too, and my hairs gone a gingery colour after using colour b4 :smile:
But you can dye your hair straight after so if it didnt go the colour you wanted you can change it straight away :smile:

Thats wrong, i asked Scott Cornwall on his facebook as he replies to any questions you post on his wall and he said that many people dye their hair straight afterwards which makes the hair darker than the original dye you are trying to rid of. He said to dye your hair a week later to give your hair time to recover from the process. Also this product is to be used to get brown to blonde hair and not multi colours to blonde. I have cyber purple hair and i want a more beach summer blonde but going to have to reconsider my opinions.
I do try to answer everyones questions on my Facebook page. Its getting harder and harder for me to answer questions on here because I get so many and lose them, the same applies with e-mail questions.

You ultimately have to understand people that Colour B4 only removes artificial colour pigment it can't reverse any damage which has been done by previous hair colouring products. These are what turn your hair ginger or make the colour patchy and please don't call me abusive names Joshhh I might have a product that people buy but I spend a huge amount of time giving free advice to people on there hair. I don't see many experts from L'Oreal, P&G or Schwarzkopf doing that!
Reply 9
MissyP
Thats wrong, i asked Scott Cornwall on his facebook as he replies to any questions you post on his wall and he said that many people dye their hair straight afterwards which makes the hair darker than the original dye you are trying to rid of. He said to dye your hair a week later to give your hair time to recover from the process. Also this product is to be used to get brown to blonde hair and not multi colours to blonde. I have cyber purple hair and i want a more beach summer blonde but going to have to reconsider my opinions.

Hmm... :/
Both me and my fried both dyed our hair a day or two afterwards and it went the colour we wanted... After a little bit of deep conditioning my hair's in pretty good condition too... :dontknow:
Reply 10
Rhii
Hmm... :/
Both me and my fried both dyed our hair a day or two afterwards and it went the colour we wanted... After a little bit of deep conditioning my hair's in pretty good condition too... :dontknow:

Its just what Scott Cornwall said, Everyone's hair is different and therefore reacts differently. Just remember its chemicals you are putting on at the end of the day and a bad mess can result in serious damage.

I dye my hair purple so i'm not against hair dying if it comes across that way.
I can't believe people complain that this product 'doesn't work' when they probably have no idea what the ingredients in the hair dye they have used over the months/years are doing to their hair! Surely the warning to strand test your hair before you colour in the first place is the most sensible option? Personally I think Colour B4 a very innovative idea and a very practical product and it's frankly amazing to see the man behind the product researching forums and taking an interest in the people who buy the product. I've just bought some Colour B4 myself as I've been dying my hair dark brown to match my micro ring extensions and now I'm removing the extensions and I'd like some lighter hair that is a bit closer to my natural colour. I don't have any expectations of a miracle but I certainly won't be blaming anyone but myself if it doesn't completely work.
Reply 12
thanks for your sharing i like this,,,,,,
Reply 13
Hi Scott
RE COLOUR B4
I wondered if you could advise me. I am a natural redhead but have dyed my hair for the last 3 years brown and now black.My hair is shoulder length. I have used mostly nice n easy but a couple of times i have used live colour for the black. I used the colour B4 extra strength . i used it three times as it didnt do much the first time but ended up with ginger (natural) roots then auburn for a couple of inches then a dark purpley black to the ends . i then put live xxl dark spice on hoping it would go an auburn red colour but it has gone almost back to black again!!! argh!!!
Can you advise if I could use colour b4 again . i think from reading above i am never going to get the black out of the end section .
many thanks
Colour B4 does not make your hair ginger. That is the actual colour of most people's hair after they have dyed it and it is caused by hairdye.
So yes, if you use Colour B4, your hair will likely be ginger. But your hair is already ginger right now, all colour B4 does is let you see the ginger that's already there.

Anyway, this product works really really well.
I had Schwartzkopf Live XXL Midnight Blue (which was blackish) and Colour B4 (the strongest type) got my hair back to a lovely copper colour in one application. It got all the black out, I was actually amazed by how effective it was.

It will fail to work however if you've used a lot of heat on your hair, straighteners in particular. This is because Live XXL contains silicone. Heat melts the silicone and then when it re-solidifies it effectively encases your hair in an impenetrable silicone force-field. Even bleach couldn't do much about it, so don't go blaming the Colour B4 if this is the case.

Some people say Colour B4 doesn't work but they're almost invariably people who either failed to use it properly or to do adequate research into whether it would work on their hair.
Reply 15
Hi Scott I was wondering if you could give me some advice, I have had my hair done by my friend training to be a hairdresser, she put a colour remover on my hair and then dyed it red, the colour remover took to the majority of my hair, however i have like a band of black/brown where i dont think it took, i was wondering if I could put your colour remover on the band and then put a red on it. I have kept on with the red trying to get rid of the band but has not worked, which is why I am resorting to your colour remover?
Reply 16
Original post by Rhii
http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4.-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert._1000976/

I've been dying my hair for a while and at the moment I've got the Schwarzkopf Live XXL 'Red Passion' on it.
I want to go back to my natural hair colour now cos my hair's getting too damaged from the amount I'm dying it.

Saw this product and the reviews seem really good for it but I just wanted some more opinions before I go spending my money on it? :smile:

Any help's appreicated :yup:

Please quote me :biggrin:

I'VE USED IT TWICE. once on a 24 wash product dark brown nice & easy which was too dark. it was quick, easy, no smell and i used a peramnt dye straight after. the other time i used it on a permant dye which was too dark or too red and after a week it hadnt faded so i used colour b4. again, it was awesome. it didnt fuly remove it all, but removed about 65%, and the colour i was left with was really nice anyway so i did not re-dye.

both times i used the 'extra' one, and noticed no change in hair condition no damage, no bad smell or staining. would recommend :smile:
Reply 17
Hi, i used colour before when i was a dark brown nearly black. I was looking around the boots website and came across colour before extra strength. This was over a year ago now. I decided to buy it and used it as soon as i got home to see what the result would be. I was very very happy with the result as it took me to a light brown darl blonde colour and i had a few lighter bits in where iv bleached my hair before. The only thing i regret is dying my hair straight away as i put a dark blonde on and it took me back to the colour i was before i stripped it! So if you decide to use colour before i would recomend you to wait a few days to a week before you dye it. I now have dark brown hair again with a tint of red in and i am deffinatly going to but colour b4 in a few weeks to strip my hair for my birthday because i want to be a burgundy red colour or something like cheryl coles as i love it! But i know this time to leave it a couple of days or a week. Some people i know have just used colour b4 and dyed they hair straight after and it has gone darker than the colour they picked out. But i highley recomend this product. I think its just under £13 at larger boots stores but a local chemist sells them next to my house for £7.50! If you would like to know anything else or have any questions about when i used the product please ask! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Meesh12
I now have dark brown hair again with a tint of red in and i am deffinatly going to but colour b4 in a few weeks to strip my hair for my birthday because i want to be a burgundy red colour or something like cheryl coles.

Jw, but why would you need to strip your hair if its a brown-red already? Your hair should go to the right colour without stripping because of the red hint? That's what I did to get it bright red so I'm sure it would work to get it to burgundy! :smile:

Just thought I'd say so you don't have to damage your hair as much :smile:
I used this product after having a disaster at the salon, but it didn't really work for me. It stripped off some colour, mainly from the roots, but it wasn't even and I definitely couldn't have dyed a light shade onto the top of it. However, I've been dying my hair black for about 7 years, so that can't have helped!
Also, it ruined the quality of my hair - going to have to have a massive trim next week :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest