Could I take my hamsters to uni with me? Watch

This discussion is closed.
effyeffyeffy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm planning on getting two dwarf hamsters soon, and they generally live to about 2.5 years old. But in 2.5 years time I'll (hopefullyotherwisemylifewillbeov er) be at university ... do universities generally allow small pets like this? Because if they don't I might have to reconsider .. I wouldn't trust my mum or little brother to look after them when I'm gone

EDIT: Someone just asked this about snails, how did I miss that..?
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by effyeffyeffy)
I'm planning on getting two dwarf hamsters soon, and they generally live to about 2.5 years old. But in 2.5 years time I'll be at university ... do universities generally allow small pets like this? Because if they don't I might have to reconsider .. I wouldn't trust my mum or little brother to look after them when I'm gone

EDIT: Someone just asked this about snails, how did I miss that..?
No you will not be allowed. And :lol: at your 'academic stuff'
Hala.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most universities do not allow pets in the halls of residence. If you lived separately in private accomodation you could probably have the hamster. But if you're worried that you/your family won't be able to care for the hamster in a couple of years time, don't get the hamster...
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissSasha)
she just excited! i was at that age aswell! i knew what i wanted to do and what uni i wanted to go to

but the fact your considering whether you should by a hamster from 2 years before is a bit much. You could always give it to a friend or relative when you go away
Ha, finally someone understands me

Yeah, actually, I could just give it to a friend
MissSasha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ha, finally someone understands me

Yeah, actually, I could just give it to a friend
yep just give it to a friend it will be ok if they only live for 2.5 years then your friend will only have the pet for 6 months at most.. not 2 much of a commitment
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been worrying about uni since I started secondary school, can't stop now
Wow, another I am so academic
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissSasha)
yep just give it to a friend it will be ok if they only live for 2.5 years then your friend will only have the pet for 6 months at most.. not 2 much of a commitment
I actually have the perfect friend in mind. She loves hamsters and she's planning on doing a Kew Gardens Horticulture diploma rather than a degree so she'll probably have spare time on her hands
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wish i knew what i wanted to do at uni already :P
x_Lexie_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just so you know, if you get two they shouldnt be housed together. If opposite sex they will just mate constantly and probs eat their babies, if same sex they will fight. They are extremely territorial.
Also mine was a dwarf and he lived more then 3 years.
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_Lexie_x)
Just so you know, if you get two they shouldnt be housed together. If opposite sex they will just mate constantly and probs eat their babies, if same sex they will fight. They are extremely territorial.
Also mine was a dwarf and he lived more then 3 years.
I'm talking about Russian (Winter Whites & Campbells) dwarves, a breed known for not being territorial or agressive towards cage mates. My cousin used to keep them when I was younger, and she never had a pair or group who fought. And I'd be gettng 2 males, so I wouldn't have to worry about breeding. I've done my (extensive) research

Some do live longer than 2.5, of course, but that's the average
x_Lexie_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm talking about Russian (Winter Whites & Campbells) dwarves, a breed known for not being territorial or agressive towards cage mates. My cousin used to keep them when I was younger, and she never had a pair or group who fought. And I'd be gettng 2 males, so I wouldn't have to worry about breeding. I've done my (extensive) research

Some do live longer than 2.5, of course, but that's the average
Mine was a Winter White Russian. He lived on his own, was fine as a baby but as he got older he even started growling at me. Some can live together, more likely if they are litter mates but there is always the risk of fighting and if that happens, that means two of everything. Your choice, just thought I would give you my opinion having owned a WWR
Also they can be boring, if your gonna get rodents, you should get rats. They are much friendlier and more entertaining. I have 4 myslef. I wont ever have a hamster now over a rat now. No way near as good.
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
Mine was a Winter White Russian. He lived on his own, was fine as a baby but as he got older he even started growling at me. Some can live together, more likely if they are litter mates but there is always the risk of fighting and if that happens, that means two of everything. Your choice, just thought I would give you my opinion having owned a WWR
Also they can be boring, if your gonna get rodents, you should get rats. They are much friendlier and more entertaining. I have 4 myslef. I wont ever have a hamster now over a rat now. No way near as good.
Everyone's hamsters are different; it just seems that the majority of them have a pleasant temperament.

I don't think they're boring I haven't had a hamster for a while, but I loved my syrian when I had him. Rats freak me out a bit, so that's a no for me.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
Hamsters are cool for the first six weeks or so. After that they're still cute but the amount with which you get sick of cleaning out their cage every few days, feeding them and changing their bedding regularly will soon drain you of most enthusiasm you originally had. All that will keep you going with it is the thought that it would be cruel not to.

As such, I think getting a hamster at this stage probably isn't a good idea. Get one for yourself as a graduation present if you still want one in 5 years' time (but you probably won't :p:).
x_Lexie_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone's hamsters are different; it just seems that the majority of them have a pleasant temperament.

I don't think they're boring I haven't had a hamster for a while, but I loved my syrian when I had him. Rats freak me out a bit, so that's a no for me.

Okies, just though I would tell you my experience incase it helped.
Also you shouldnt be freaked out by rats. They have such a bad rep but make amazing pets.
I personally dont get why some people can like hamsters but not like rats. They look just like them but with a tail. Its like saying you like rabbits but hares scare you. I just dont understand it lol.

I second what others have said, you cant take them to uni. It sucks, I wish I could take my rats and ferret but I cant
Good luck with your hamsters though
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
Okies, just though I would tell you my experience incase it helped.
Also you shouldnt be freaked out by rats. They have such a bad rep but make amazing pets.
I personally dont get why some people can like hamsters but not like rats. They look just like them but with a tail. Its like saying you like rabbits but hares scare you. I just dont understand it lol.

I second what others have said, you cant take them to uni. It sucks, I wish I could take my rats and ferret but I cant
Good luck with your hamsters though
All experiences are always helpful, so thanks I think it's the tails that freak me out a bit! I don't mind looking at them and stroking them, but I can't hold them. The tails make me squirm..

You have a ferret? That's so cool! My cousins who live in the countryside have one and it's really loving
effyeffyeffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuodai)
Hamsters are cool for the first six weeks or so. After that they're still cute but the amount with which you get sick of cleaning out their cage every few days, feeding them and changing their bedding regularly will soon drain you of most enthusiasm you originally had. All that will keep you going with it is the thought that it would be cruel not to.

As such, I think getting a hamster at this stage probably isn't a good idea. Get one for yourself as a graduation present if you still want one in 5 years' time (but you probably won't :p:).
I've had a hamster before, I never got sick of it. I actually like routine

A random (very late) congrats on Cambridge .. just thought I'd throw that in there because Cambridge is amazing
x_Lexie_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All experiences are always helpful, so thanks I think it's the tails that freak me out a bit! I don't mind looking at them and stroking them, but I can't hold them. The tails make me squirm..

You have a ferret? That's so cool! My cousins who live in the countryside have one and it's really loving
:lol: Yeah its the tails that freak most people out. Its surprising how different they feel from how they look. Its like a snake, they look slimey and wierd but feel so smooth and amazing.
My ferret is my baby! I have to put him in a foster home for a year though while im at uni Then once im in my own house I can get him back.
Here is a picture of him, hes soooo lovely. Very tired after his walkies
Phillipsherman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just stop feeding them before you go to uni, then have their funeral just before you leave. Problem solved.
Phillipsherman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:lol: Yeah its the tails that freak most people out. Its surprising how different they feel from how they look. Its like a snake, they look slimey and wierd but feel so smooth and amazing.
My ferret is my baby! I have to put him in a foster home for a year though while im at uni Then once im in my own house I can get him back.
Here is a picture of him, hes soooo lovely. Very tired after his walkies
Is it electronic?
sir-lewis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You wont be aloud to, however someone in my halls hatched chickens in her wardrobe having turned it into an incubator :s
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (21)
25%
No - I got the required grades (52)
61.9%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
13.1%

Watched Threads