pursuing masters in unrelated courses Watch

This discussion is closed.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
is it possible to do a masters in eco or management after a MEng in something not related such as chemical engineering.....if yes.....how long would it take to get a masters......would work experience be required before doing them?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Please Respond....i Am A Nice Boy....bump Bump
mb85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
is it possible to do a masters in eco or management after a MEng in something not related such as chemical engineering.....if yes.....how long would it take to get a masters......would work experience be required before doing them?
I heard u need international award to do masters
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Why not do an MEng that incorporates some management modules:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/prospectus/ugc/HN22.html (Soton doesn't offer Chem Eng though)

Alternatively all MBA courses have entry requirements that don't specify the subject of your degree. And for less vocational more academic courses you can get conversion courses (http://www.prospects.ac.uk lists almost all the masters courses available in the uk).
yeah.....the engineering. courses i applied for are civil eng and chem eng at imperial.....if i were to do business related mba courses such as eco or management is it better to do civil??
matouwah
Rep:
?
nono all the engineering disciplines are excellent degrees - choose the course you think you will enjoy and excell in the most.

MBA = Masters in Business Administration (so it's specifically a management masters course and usually quite a vocational one - ie it gives you very practical skills to become a good manager). If you're interested in becoming someone in big business it's probably the best route to take (although it's not compulsory I don't know anyone who's done one who's regretted it or thought it a waste of time - and I know about 15 people who've recently taken MBAs) theres more information about the type and stuff covered in typical MBAs here: http://www.management.soton.ac.uk/St...ies/pg/MBA.htm (sorry for all the soton links but it's a website I know my way around). Most MBAs include a significant element of economics/finance (in relation to business) as well as managerial skills etc etc.
thanks for your help......any idea on the amount of time required for an MBA after a MEng?
matouwah
Rep:
?
1 yr full time
2 years part time

If you can get sponsership from your employer to study part time it works out a lot cheaper (for example at my workplace (soton uni in case you hadn't guessed ) our department pays one 3rd of the fees the human resources department pay another 3rd which just leaves 1/3 left for the person studying to pay - and you get a day or so off *work* each week to attent lectures/study)
so u can get 3 masters in 6 years??? i could end up with a MEng in chem engineering and mbas in eco n management.......then i should be alrite finding a job...........how much do mbas cost for international students?
matouwah
Rep:
?
(another Soton link again sorry but we're pretty standard and scored really well (top 30 EU business schools) in a recent review of MBAs)
whats the difference between executive mba and mba???? is executive mba something u do after work experience?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Yep - it's a slightly different course for people who've already been in management posts for 10 yrs, the normal MBAs usually assume 2 or 3 yrs of management experience and graduate MBAs assume no experience
so if i were to pursue an mba after a MEng without working inbetween....i would only be capable of doing a graduate MBA....i assume that this is less valuable than an executive or normal MBA?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads