Poor folks, bursaries and finance Watch

Eric Arthur
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Firstly, I don't mean that poor folk part of the title to sound derogatory, I am one of them.

Is there anyone on here who received all or most of the Oxford bursary and all or most of the grants from student finance who could give me an idea of how their finance panned out in first year? It seems like you get quite a generous amount but I'm still a little worried that I won't have enough to properly enjoy myself or will be surrounded by folk with vastly more disposable income than myself and will end up being left out.

Did you have any savings before going? After necessities are bought out of any money I have now I'll have a little left over.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ksaw92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A very close friend of mine came from a very poor background and was absolutely fine, he described the situation as having 'money thrown at him'.

I would save up money beforehand though, my family is reasonably poor at the moment so I have worked had to save about £1000 for uni - and hope that the OOB gives me a decent amount of money.

Is silly to think that your social life will suffer due to lack of money - friends aren't worth having if they exclude you for being poor!
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hopefully i would get a decent amount of it, i have similar concerns.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by kylesawhney)
Is silly to think that your social life will suffer due to lack of money - friends aren't worth having if they exclude you for being poor!
I agree completely but I didn't really mean they'd intentionally exclude me. More that whatever they get up to would be expensive and therefore out of my price range and I'd be unwittingly excluded.
The_0001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A very close friend of mine came from a very poor background and was absolutely fine, he described the situation as having 'money thrown at him'.

I would save up money beforehand though, my family is reasonably poor at the moment so I have worked had to save about £1000 for uni - and hope that the OOB gives me a decent amount of money.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but is your offer for E&M?
Ilyusha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eric Arthur)
I agree completely but I didn't really mean they'd intentionally exclude me. More that whatever they get up to would be expensive and therefore out of my price range and I'd be unwittingly excluded.
I'm not "poor" - my parents will give me enough money so that I have enough to cover Oxford's estimate of average living costs - but I share similar worries. Won't there be lots of super rich people there? Perhaps even more than average at Balliol? I'm tempted to go for the low accommodation band to reduce the likelihood. Perhaps I'm being silly though, and most students will be keen on 2 for 1 pizza express deals etc.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
Balliol? Let's be thrifty together. \o/
Ksaw92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
mmm, I'm sure you'll be fine most of the best things in life are free (or at least as cheap as a bottle of voddy :p:)

which college are ya goin to?
Ksaw92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The_0001)
This has nothing to do with the thread, but is your offer for E&M?
mhmmm, (see sig :p:) why?
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
mmm, I'm sure you'll be fine most of the best things in life are free (or at least as cheap as a bottle of voddy :p:)

which college are ya goin to?
Balliol.

I should be alright, I guess, yeah.
Ksaw92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Balliol.

I should be alright, I guess, yeah.
sweet, well if you're down in the dumps come visit me at LMH :p:
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
sweet, well if you're down in the dumps come visit me at LMH :p:
Sure. We can go bin-diving if we're skint.
Ksaw92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hahah go for it
Andy the Anarchist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You laugh but some people at my college actually did that.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
I wasn't laughing! I would actually like to try it. The amount of stuff thrown out by supermarkets is awful.
Ilyusha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
I can see why! My brother did it a couple of times, finding things like a whole packaged Indian takeaway meal (costing ~£10).
charlybrown
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I second what the OP is asking. I'm getting some maintenance funds and I'm also a bit worried as to how to manage it properly.

I had read that I was going to get 3 equal payments over the couse of the year, but after talking with the department it seems like it will be a monthly payment, which I'm fine with, but my college is sending all these types of emails saying that you will be charged for the entire year of livings costs the second week of the first term, obviously I won't have nearly enough by then. I'm als in Oxford by the way.
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
would the OOB amounts be similar to the grant that the government gives for means assesed people? or is that an apples and oranges comparison?
pf1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Undergraduate Finance Guide available to download here.
Eric Arthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athena)
My friends who were getting the almost-full Oxford Opportunity Bursary and government grant had a lot, lot more spare cash than most of the other students - most middle class parents won't throw that much spending money at their kids. Obviously, there ARE people at Oxford who occasionally flash obscene amounts of cash, but that tends to come out at the odd birthday party (at one, in a giant house in Surrey, someone told the birthday girl "Wow, I love your view!", and she replied "Yes, Daddy bought it with his inheritance". And the daughter of the Tesco CEO had a birthday party on the Gherkin. But they're very much the exceptions!)
That's reassuring, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads