The Student Room Group

meeting people off the internet

Seems like im posting too many threads, anyway theres a guy who I talk to on msn and cause we live quite near he wants to meet up and become friends or maybe more. Ive only spoke to him 7 times and seen him on cam and he's not really my type at all plus he's 27 and still a virgin :redface: (i don't think hes just saying it I believe him) I kinda feel sorry for him though cause hes not had many girlfriends but I think its a bit over the top that he said he wanted to become real friends and maybe more on the second conversation.

He's nice to chat with but he keeps saying he wants to meet up do you think I should since we only live 10 mins away. Id only want to be friends though, Ive never met anyone off my PC before lol anyone any experience of it?

Scroll to see replies

I've met people yeah, and been safe every time, but it was never old men desperate for sex.

I'd be careful, and probably not meet this guy, he's only after one thing clearly.

Meeting people is ok if you choose the right time, place and person though.
Reply 2
wt /..r u a muppet or wat...dont meet him!
Reply 3
Well, do you like him? Theres no point in meeting up with him for the sake of the fact he's only ten minutes away.

Personally I wouldnt - theres too many warning signs there.
by the sounds of things, you don't really sound that enthusiastic, compared to how he sounds, about meeting him, more feeling sorry for him IMO. :smile: however, i don't think there's much harm in meeting up for a coffee, just make sure you go somewhere public and be clear straight away about what you want :smile:
Reply 5
tis_me_lord
I've met people yeah, and been safe every time, but it was never old men desperate for sex.

I'd be careful, and probably not meet this guy, he's only after one thing clearly.

Meeting people is ok if you choose the right time, place and person though.

I think he just wants a girlfriend or to get to know a girl since im the only one he talks he says lol.
I'l think about it :smile:
alio~
I think he just wants a girlfriend or to get to know a girl since im the only one he talks he says lol.
I'l think about it :smile:

If you do meet him do it it public, and stay in public, no going back to his place etc on first meetups, he might date rape you or something.
Reply 7
Vixen
Well, do you like him? Theres no point in meeting up with him for the sake of the fact he's only ten minutes away.

Personally I wouldnt - theres too many warning signs there.

Yeah exactly, I'm sure there are hundreds of people who are 10 minutes away, that doesn't give you enough in common to become friends. :confused: :rolleyes:
Reply 8
ok DO NOT MEET HIM....he told u he wants somthing more...as u said and he told u he's a virgin...ok
tell him...no! seriously!
Reply 9
Well the fact that you know he's a virgin and he told you that openly suggests to me that he wants something.
alio~
Seems like im posting too many threads, anyway theres a guy who I talk to on msn and cause we live quite near he wants to meet up and become friends or maybe more. Ive only spoke to him 7 times and seen him on cam and he's not really my type at all plus he's 27 and still a virgin :redface: (i don't think hes just saying it I believe him) I kinda feel sorry for him though cause hes not had many girlfriends but I think its a bit over the top that he said he wanted to become real friends and maybe more on the second conversation.

He's nice to chat with but he keeps saying he wants to meet up do you think I should since we only live 10 mins away. Id only want to be friends though, Ive never met anyone off my PC before lol anyone any experience of it?

Despite having met quite a few people in real life who I have met online (including my fiance), I would not reccommend meeting him, at least not yet. Talk to him some more, get to know him a lot better before you meet up with him.
Reply 11
Meeting people over the internet...seems to be some sort of favourite for people on this site.
imasillynarb
Meeting people over the internet...seems to be some sort of favourite for people on this site.

There is nothing wrong with meeting people from the internet, as long as you do it properly and get to know the person well enough first.
juueru_chou
Despite having met quite a few people in real life who I have met online (including my fiance), I would not reccommend meeting him, at least not yet. Talk to him some more, get to know him a lot better before you meet up with him.

*fiancée! :p: (You might want to make this feminine unless you want to give a rather different view of yourself and Juno! :p: (And are things still going strong with you two?)
Feefifofum
*fiancée! :p: (You might want to make this feminine unless you want to give a rather different view of yourself and Juno! :p: (And are things still going strong with you two?)

everything is still going very strong thank you and I never have regard for the french grammar.
Reply 15
ive met four people off the net very close friends now ended up sleeping with one alwayz been safe wheni met them tho
Reply 16
It sounds like you're having doubts, in which case I'd say don't meet with him.
Reply 17
To be honest hun, it sounds like you're meeting him for all the wrong reasons, such as you feel sorry for him, he's a 27 y/o virgin, he doesnt speak to other girls. I don't think it would be fair on him, not that you're going to string him along, but he might think he has a chance if you agree to meet him, when it sounds to me like he doesn't.

However if you DO decide to meet him, take someone with you, I mean he could be anyone...or at the very least tell people where you're going, or meet in a public place.
Yeah, that'd be my advice. I've only ever met people off the internet being a sort of safety net for my friends, they've always turned out nice enough though, But if you're in this much doubt, I probably wouldn't, at least for the time being
I'm just going to echo what the others have said and say if you decide to meet him take someone with you and go to a busy, populated area.

I have met many people off the net through a fanbase and they all turned out to be genuine and really nice people. I got talking to a woman online on a yahoo group a few years ago and it turned out she lived in the same small town as me and she knew some people I knew. I decided to meet up with her and her husband and I now consider her to be a very good friend.

It's unfair to say everyone on the internet it a weirdo but it does help to be wary and safe :smile: