The Student Room Group

1 or 2 marks off the next grade up?

Grr!! Is anyone else in a similar situation?

I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs in my GCSEs this summer, which I was pleased with. However, teachers seem intent on telling me how near I was to the next grade up!

- MATHS........2 marks off A*
- BIOLOGY......1 mark off A* (which really sucks coz there was one question I specifically remember which required a one word answer and I just couldn't remember the word, except that it began with a 'h'! As soon as i left the exam i remembered it.........Hyphae! If only I'd remembered that stupid little word!!)

- ENGLISH LITERATURE.......2 marks off A (getting remarked though!)

and kinda Business Studies...I've heard rumours the teachers are gonna get remarks but they are just rumours atm. I was predicted A* and got an A (which isn't that bad compared to some people who were predicted As and got Cs!).

So if I'd have got just a few more marks that would have been 6A*s, 4As and 1B - which is 3 more A*s and 1 more A!!

I know this post might sound silly and yes, I agree there's gotta be a line somewhere but just needed somewhere to rant!! LOL

Grr!! Anyone similar to me?

MissSurfer

Scroll to see replies

3 off an A in as maths

Anyhow dont wory. Theyre good results (very good indeed) and A levels count for more . TBH Though you seem easily clever enough for a good uni so then your GCSEs wont matter
Reply 2
Thankfully I have no idea what marks I got :biggrin: Apart from Maths and for that I was just like, 'How did I get a B with that crappy score?!' There's no grade boundaries or marks on my other results sheets. Which I think is good...you shouldn't know how close you were to another grade! It's tight!

They really ought to have just pushed you up with those grades...ok, not ethical or whatever but come on! I'm sure they could have squeezed a mark out somewhere...but your results are still immense. Commiserations about the annoyingness of it all though"
Reply 3
It just bugs me becuase how do I know I wasnt 1 mark off the next grade for all my subjects? I know it's the same for everyone but it's still annoying!!

Haha thanks for saying my grades were good! So many people at my school (and it's not a private one!) got like 6/7/8 A*s and it makes my grades sound a bit averagey.

Anyway, I'm doing 5 A Levels so I'll need all the encouragement I can get!

MissSurfer
Reply 4
Your results were brilliant, think how pissed off people must be who got 1/2 marks off C's - Gah that would be the worst. I got my coursework somehow marked as a B when my teachers sent it off as an A* and the exam board recieved that mark, so somewhere along the line there was a cock up and i dont think they can change it now but they can send an 'offical apolgy', but i should have got 2 extra A*'s!

Oh well theres nothing that can be changed now, you should forget about it, you know your that grades standerd so dont let it bother you.

P.S im doing 5 AS too, good luck!
Reply 5
Yeah, I was 2 marks off an A in Maths - I got 6 A*s, 2 As and 2 Bs. I don't know how far off the As and Bs were to be honest but I do know some of the marks for the A* grades.

I might be getting my Maths remarked but the deadline is 20th September, so I need to hurry up.
Wow that must be so annoying!!!!!!! But listen how did you find out your actual mark? I'm trying to get my school to tell me, but they seem like they REALLY don't want to tell me, I've been waiting ages and its starting too late to get a re-mark!!
~the_one~
Your results were brilliant, think how pissed off people must be who got 1/2 marks off C's - Gah that would be the worst. I got my coursework somehow marked as a B when my teachers sent it off as an A* and the exam board recieved that mark, so somewhere along the line there was a cock up and i dont think they can change it now but they can send an 'offical apolgy', but i should have got 2 extra A*'s!

Oh well theres nothing that can be changed now, you should forget about it, you know your that grades standerd so dont let it bother you.

P.S im doing 5 AS too, good luck!

uhh uhh im doing 2 ASs and 4 A2s this year.

ouch
Reply 8
uhh uhh im doing 2 ASs and 4 A2s this year.

ouch

Ouch indeed, how the hell - Gah i'm not even going to ask...
Reply 9
I was 1 UMS mark off the next grade up in Spanish. That's getting remarked. :smile:
Reply 10
Mirageperhaps
Wow that must be so annoying!!!!!!! But listen how did you find out your actual mark? I'm trying to get my school to tell me, but they seem like they REALLY don't want to tell me, I've been waiting ages and its starting too late to get a re-mark!!

My teachers just tell me!

It would be nice to know if i'd got high As etc in my other subjects but then i'd be even more annoyed if I found out I was a couple of marks off an A* for even more subjects! I think they should do something like A1, 2 or 3 whereby 1 stands for a high grade (top 3rd of the grade) etc etc. That way you'd know a bit more about how you did (and so would unis etc) but wouldn't be as annoyed as if you'd known the exact no. of marks needed for a better grade! If ya get me!
Awww, that sucks :frown: I was 3 marks off an A in AS English lit and 4 marks off A*s in both English subjects at GCSE, as well as being 3 marks off a C in the AVCE ICT I took last year.
I know I was pretty close in Maths to the A* boundary, but it can't have been significantly close 'cause they would have told me and I would have got it remarked!! I so desperately wanted that A* in Maths.. :frown:
I know I was 3 marks off an A* in maths it is kinda annoying but i did end up with 2A* and 9As so im not complaining one little bit. I kind of figured that in some subjects where i was unluckly ie. Maths were balanced with some that i was lucky in.
Reply 14
not as close 3marks of A* in maths and 5 marks off A* in boths Englishes, but if i remarked them all and got the A*, i would have no A's lol 5A*, 6B's ,2C's would be too weird lol
Reply 15
i was 2 or 3 marks off history, physics and chemistry off A*'s *boohoo*
and then 2 marks off english but that went up from B --> A
got 3 A*'s 6 A's..
shouldve got the other way around :frown:
MissSurfer
It just bugs me becuase how do I know I wasnt 1 mark off the next grade for all my subjects? I know it's the same for everyone but it's still annoying!!

Haha thanks for saying my grades were good! So many people at my school (and it's not a private one!) got like 6/7/8 A*s and it makes my grades sound a bit averagey.

Anyway, I'm doing 5 A Levels so I'll need all the encouragement I can get!

MissSurfer

I was the same, most of my friends got 6/7/8 A*s. Try not to let the x marks off thing bug you too much as there's nothing you can do - I know it's annoying though (I was 1 mark off an A in AS French) :frown: They shouldn't tell you at GCSE, it's really unfair - I made sure I didn't find out my marks.

Your GCSEs are still excellent and enable you to stand a chance applying to top universities, so that's the important thing :smile:
Reply 17
I was hoping for an A* in english lit, A in english lang, A in business and A* in RS, and was kinda hoping i was like 2 or 3 marks off so that i would qualify for an automatic remark. But this didnt happen :frown:
1 mark off straight A*s. Grrr. Not complaining though. My ICT coursework got seriously moderated down by like 15 marks, so no point in getting it remarked since I presume it already has if it's been moderated.
Reply 19
I got my Maths remarked to an A.