Turn on thread page Beta

Would You Ever Rule Out a Job... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever rule out pursuing a career in something you were interested in because you think you can do better?

For example, one of my friends at University was looking into a certain career path, but its entrance requirements are lower than what she's got (a degree as opposed to A-Levels asked), so has decided against it, and to pursue something else.

Would you ever completely rule something out like that? She really wanted to do that job, but then completely changed her mind, and looked for something more in-line with her degree-level education. She's actually got no idea what she wants to do now, and is taking "time out" after her degree to do... well... work in Wetherspoons.

Any opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    if you gave us concrete examples of what she wanted to do before and what she has decided to do we could answer this thread...

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to work in 'spoons than have no work at all. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    if you gave us concrete examples of what she wanted to do before and what she has decided to do we could answer this thread...
    I was trying to make it non-specific... anyway, she wanted to be an Occupational Health Therapist, and now she doesn't want to do that. She's thinking of going into Clinical Sciences (more sciency-based rather than therapy based)

ReputationRep:
    :yep: I kind of did that. It got me nowhere. I say it's better to be interested in something than do something for the sake of thinking you can do better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I was trying to make it non-specific... anyway, she wanted to be an Occupational Health Therapist, and now she doesn't want to do that. She's thinking of going into Clinical Sciences (more sciency-based rather than therapy based)
    I understand now the dilemma - what i'd say if the question is about additional/future studies to go into clinical sciences, which would provide a basis and then once she has had some experience she would always shift into occupational health therapist, if given the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    It's far better to do a job you genuinely enjoy and are interested in than to go into something just because you feel you should.

ReputationRep:
    Well if she doesn't like clinical sciences, there's nothing to stop her going back into OT. At least if she completes the degree she will have the choice of which she wants to go into (or she could pick something else; ideas and ambiitons can change over time).

ReputationRep:
    No way. If I wanted to do it, I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    Well if she doesn't like clinical sciences, there's nothing to stop her going back into OT. At least if she completes the degree she will have the choice of which she wants to go into (or she could pick something else; ideas and ambiitons can change over time).
    The thing is, we already have a degree in Physiological Sciences, and she was all set to apply to be an OT, then looked into actually applying, and found the requirements were much lower than her (first class) degree. I think she's crazy picking a job based on the fact that she "can do better" because she really wanted to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I'd prefer to work in 'spoons than have no work at all. *shrugs*
    As I work at Spoons, I disagree

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, we already have a degree in Physiological Sciences, and she was all set to apply to be an OT, then looked into actually applying, and found the requirements were much lower than her (first class) degree. I think she's crazy picking a job based on the fact that she "can do better" because she really wanted to do it!
    She may want to note how bloody hard it is actually to become an OT... It may have low entry requirements but it's fiercely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    I would because you said:

Would you ever rule out pursuing a career in something you were interested in because you think you can do better?
    If I wanted/ was intrested in something then (unless i was able to make double or tipple amount the money) I wouldn’t give it up to pursue something else just because I felt I could do better. I would want to do what would make me happy first and everything else second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    As I work at Spoons, I disagree
    Hmm, touché. I personally wouldn't be able to do it because although I love my alcohol, I hate people. Catch 22's aren't fun. :sad:

Even so, some money is better than none, amirite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    She may want to note how bloody hard it is actually to become an OT... It may have low entry requirements but it's fiercely competitive.
    I'll tell her this! She didn't even get down to applying, which I think is stupid. I told her that the entrance requirements were probably low so that people would be accepted with "experience" rather than grades (if that makes sense)

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell her this! She didn't even get down to applying, which I think is stupid. I told her that the entrance requirements were probably low so that people would be accepted with "experience" rather than grades (if that makes sense)
    Yep, it's heavily based on life experience, rather than 'book smarts'. It's a calling, not a career, if that makes sense? (My Mum works in OT :p:)

ReputationRep:
    No, that's silly. Clearly her heart wasn't completely set on it then! I hear it's difficult to actually get a job as an OT even if the degree is a little easier to get into. She probably shouldn't be doing it and let someone else have her place if she thinks it's beneath her.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* typical "push everyone through university" even if they clearly dont need to go :rolleyes:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.