Downshifting before a corner Watch

samunited
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hiya can somebody tell me the correct method of going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear because the current method i use i get a clunk when i release of the clutch.
can somebody tell me the right method of downshifting before i bend because to prevent this i coast into a corner.
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's just practice. You probably need to raise revs a bit on the gas to smooth the transition between 3 and 2. Hard to describe, but something like clutch down, change down, touch of accelerator, ease off the clutch.

Acksherley... thinking about it, if it's only making a clunk from 3 to 2 I reckon you've got worn synchros on 2nd gear. Double declutching would probably help. What kind of car is it / mileage / how old?

The clutch pedal is pressed, the throttle is released, and the gearbox is shifted into neutral.

The clutch pedal is then released. As the engine idles with no load, the RPM will decrease until they are at a level suitable for shifting into the next gear.

The driver then depresses the clutch again and shifts into the next gear. The whole manoeuvre can, with practice, take no more than a fraction of a second, and the result is a very smooth gear change.
Bobifier
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It could just be that you aren't braking hard enough before shifting down so when you get into second your going too fast for it.
Mr_Muffin_Man
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Slow down before the corner by braking then change from 3rd to 2nd gear and whilst your bringing your clutch up slightly touch the accelerator

works for me
skins345669
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bobifier)
It could just be that you aren't braking hard enough before shifting down so when you get into second your going too fast for it.
This. Don't be afraid to hold onto that gear a little longer. I've heard street racers actually downshift after the corner, which makes sense coz you're going at the right speed by that point.
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's because you're not slowing down enough..

I often go around corners in 3rd gear anyway. Unless it's a really tight corner.
samunited
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
my instructor used to tell you can hold the brake downshift release the clutch whilst this holding the brake it works but if someone brakes infront of u you risk the fact of stalling.
kingxlr8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by samunited)
Hiya can somebody tell me the correct method of going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear because the current method i use i get a clunk when i release of the clutch.
can somebody tell me the right method of downshifting before i bend because to prevent this i coast into a corner.
You are not supposed to sift before the corner, Just slow down and use the existing speed to pass the corner / bend/ speed humps etc and then shift to the desired gear. :yep:
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're going in second gear round a bend? Hit the apex properly and downshift on the exit to get the best power distribution.
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kingxlr8)
You are not supposed to sift before the corner, Just slow down and use the existing speed to pass the corner / bend/ speed humps etc and then shift to the desired gear. :yep:
:facepalm:

OK, just this once, for all the playstation streetracers. Brake on the straight, change down to a gear that will allow you to drive the car through the bend, accelerating to maintain speed that is offset by cornering forces, using the limit point (or vanishing point) to set the optimal speed for the bend.
R. Murray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me, but the best way to deal with a corner is to slow down to the correct speed for the bend (whatever that may be - I personally use the vanishing point method), pick the gear for the speed, maintain the speed around the corner then accelerating out as the road opens up. I always thought that was the best way to deal with a corner and keep the car stable.

my instructor used to tell you can hold the brake downshift release the clutch whilst this holding the brake it works but if someone brakes infront of u you risk the fact of stalling.
I don't get how you're going to stall? If you have to stop or slow down you can still drop the clutch and pick the gear for the speed. Am I being thick here?

The whole idea of downshifting through or at the end of the corner just doesn't sit well with me. When you do that through the corner you're disengaging the drive that's helping you hold the corner (however briefly). Changing down after a corner (or even hazards) just screams poor planning to me.
Spexzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For a corner? depending on how narrow you may need to down shift, if you mean turning into a road i.e from a main road to a minor road then brake to you reach 10 - 20mph (depends on you car), your probaly not slowing down fast enough so when you shift gears you get a clunk / jerk, you need to find the right speed to downshift at, it often takes practice, 2nd gear is usaully 15mph - 25mph of course it varies from car to car, you have to be within the gear range i.e 15mph whilst stil braking downshift and brake whilst going round the corner depending on speed.

I learnt in a old (93 reg) car which didnt have a tachometer ( the dial that showed your cars rev's ) so i learnt by the speed and sound of the engine. When you practice you'l find the range where you can downshift without getting any jerk / clunkage.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You are probably going too fast when you change.

Its very common for learner drivers to change gear THEN slow down. You need to slow down THEN change gear.
crazyjoyce
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jez RR)
:facepalm:

OK, just this once, for all the playstation streetracers. Brake on the straight, change down to a gear that will allow you to drive the car through the bend, accelerating to maintain speed that is offset by cornering forces, using the limit point (or vanishing point) to set the optimal speed for the bend.
this, roadcraft aswell as trackcraft
HumorousGent.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
heel and toe, yo.
J_Alom
Report 8 years ago
if racing, change down to 2nd @~20mph.
miike1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As said before, heel and toe it! Really easy to learn and is so much kinder to your car
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Brake late and hard.
Sonik125
Report 8 years ago
Yes heel and toe, look it up. The vast majority on here don't have a bloody clue what they're talking about, ignore them. Get your self on a proper car forum if you want actual advice that you can trust, somewhere like Pistonheads.

Please do not change gear mid corner or just after, this will upset the balance of the car, and posibly cause it to fish tail. As the car will start engine braking (I presume you're driving a FWD), and the back will literaly try and overtake the front. You should be on the throttle and accelerating as you are entering the corner and the maintain this through the apex and onto the straight, this will keep the car nice and balanced and less likely to do something unpredictable, but don't over do it. If you enter a car to fast into a corner, you will crash, you can only reduce the severity of the crash by the actions that you then take.
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The only pedal you should be touching in the middle of the corner is the accelerator - if you need to touch the brake or clutch, you've done something wrong. I'm also not sure where some posters are getting the idea that you should change gear in the middle/exit of the corner, as it's complete twaddle - the correct gear should be selected before you even enter the corner. Just check out some F1 on-board. Brake, down the gears to the correct gear for corner entry, enter corner, accelerate through, change up on the exit straight. There's no down shift in the middle of the corner, or at the exit of the corner.

To try and solve your jerky change - approach the corner, brake to the correct corner entry speed, clutch down, select lower gear, blip throttle, clutch up, enter corner, accelerate through. This should ensure a smooth shift and will keep the car balanced. I suspect your clunky gear change is due to not rev-matching correctly - experiment with blipping the throttle as mentioned and see if this improves matters.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads