This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi im doing a2 coursework on
' whether one gender is stereotyped as being more intelligent than the other'
however this is quite hard to do because its hard to experiment on i think. i want to do an experiment though instead of a questionaire as its easier to get marks. has any1 any ideas on making this coursework easy, even if it means changing the title a bit.
im that stuck ive not even done the intro yet lol and have changed the title a dozen times

thanx in advance
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
say does one gender tend to overevalute their abilites more than the other (porrbably boys), then get them to sit an exam and oerform reaction time tests and spacial awareness.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
say does one gender tend to overevalute their abilites more than the other (porrbably boys), then get them to sit an exam and oerform reaction time tests and spacial awareness.
yea sounds a good 1 but where do the reaction tests and spacial come in to it lol
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
yea sounds a good 1 but where do the reaction tests and spacial come in to it lol
ask them to describe whetehr they would say they are active - passive, animaga-animagus. Then ask how they think they will

blokes will in general overevaluate their abilities - ie are blokes more confident due to being active or not. You will also find that those who are passive will probably undervaluate. do reaction times as well, spacial would favour boys so probably best not to do it. Also do a guess beans in the jar.
Perry
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
however this is quite hard to do because its hard to experiment on i think. i want to do an experiment though instead of a questionaire as its easier to get marks. has any1 any ideas on making this coursework easy, even if it means changing the title a bit.
im that stuck ive not even done the intro yet lol and have changed the title a dozen times

thanx in advance
Why is it hard to experiement, just look at past GCSE or a levels results and and say that girls are actually doing better. Or just make up some results of your own, and say you tested them. Who is going to check or know whether you did it or not. Not a person.

x
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

thanx in advance

There is a problem with the term "intelligence". Many academics argue that it is infact pointless to attempt to verbalise a definition, indeed there are different 'forms' of intelligence that have been 'discovered'. Perhaps acknowledge probable deficiencies in analysing this, but base the investigation on the estimations of the genders.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
There is a problem with the term "intelligence". Many academics argue that it is infact pointless to attempt to verbalise a definition, indeed there are different 'forms' of intelligence that have been 'discovered'. Perhaps acknowledge probable deficiencies in analysing this, but base the investigation on the estimations of the genders.
yea thanx. i suppose i cud get hand out sheets with names on both male and female names and give descriptions of careers at the side of each name ( each career requiring the same level of intelligence though.)
then getting the subjects to rate each names intelligence. then see which gender gets the highest average rating.

or is this stupid
thing is how wud i make sure the careers are at same intelligence level? many ppl believe different carrers are more intelligent than others
00leam2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

thanx in advance
no
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads