20 Years Old And Only Have Yr10 Work Exp. Watch

.:Gamble:.
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
RANT.

EVERY MORNING. EVERY SUMMER. EVERY JUNE & JULY.

JOB HUNT.

FAIL.

WHY.

\

Im obviously not going to give up or i'll starve lol. but im so pissed off.

got a volunteering interview tomorrow (first time). I always chase the money so i'll give this a try and see what happens.

LIFE. FML. :woo:
EmersonDrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can understand why you are pissed off but also why you can't get a paid job. Hope the volunteering gets you started.
edit: i ask myself everyday

the volunteering is at a startup company i think. admin work

is it worth it? travel costs etc..
$tar£reaker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Where are you applying for work though?? Cos surely some shop would have given you hours at some stage in the past few years.
The Socialite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Work in a bar...you don't need experience to work in a bar.
Or just lie and say you've worked in one before, that's what I did.
Preferably find one that takes in loads of gappies from Australia, usually they have high staff turnover and will take you on for a few months.
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Keep trying dude!
Its taken me 2 years and i'm currently 18! To get the job I wanted and I was like that when I was 16 zavvi took me as a weekend replen assistant.

Persistence.
Check your CV and see if its that.
Watch how your answering competancy questions on applications forms.

Get back to me via email/on here if you need any help.

I know its frustrating, i've been there but keep at it and maybe broaden your search aswell. What i've realised is that if you really want a job, travelling seems to be involved.
W.H.T
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
have you ever done voluntary work or unpaid work for a period of time (at least a month)?
Z-6H820
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
not doubting your trying, but there must be something wrong with your approach if you've tried every summer and not got anything. are you going to unpopular jobs, like cleaning/fast food? or are you trying to get something decent, which to be fair you probably couldn't get with no experience at 20? has someone from the jobcentre/careers place had a look over your CV? have you tried getting volunteering experience before, because maybe one or two voluntary places are selective but in my experience if you're polite and nice, charity shops are happy to have you.

good luck with the jobhunt, hope you get something to kick start it all
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Review your applications, something isn't holding up and it can't just be a lack of experience!
no i haven't done volunteering before and tbh i do apply to a lot of well known stores or popular places.

I've had a career adviser look over my cv at uni

can someone give examples of reasonable unpopular jobs pls
Katie542
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good luck with the volunteer work.

It's definitely worth it, as it'll allow you to speak about it as experience for job interviews, and you can say skills you've learned from it/gained from it, such as good communication skills, commitment to the work, good time-keeping etc.
Z-6H820
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by .:Gamble:.)
can someone give examples of reasonable unpopular jobs pls
kiosk staff in a football stadium - apparently champions league is starting so lots of agencies are recruiting. find out what agency does the catering for your local stadium?
mcdonalds is actually better than you think, reasonable money and you're kept nice and busy.
a waiter for a catering company is an easier job to get than a restaurant waiter and gives you good experience to work in a bar/restaurant later.
Oasis Jnr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i guessed you shud have been more preparted for the future. it's quite easy to volunteer at places when you're young.. but hopefully this shud get you off the starting block
(Original post by Nayberay)
Keep trying dude!
Its taken me 2 years and i'm currently! To get the job I wanted and I was like that when I was 16 zavvi took me as a weekend replen assistant.

Persistence.
Check your CV and see if its that.
Watch how your answering competancy questions on applications forms.

Get back to me via email/on here if you need any help.

I know its frustrating, i've been there but keep at it and maybe broaden your search aswell. What i've realised is that if you really want a job, travelling seems to be involved.
hey do mind giving me your cv to look at.

i read your job guide. very helpful
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Threads like this make me glad as **** that I've actually put effort in keeping my skills, experience and CV updated.

OP, your only choice really is to spend your time constructively volunteering while you keep applying. Ask for travel expenses if it's a problem.
CSI_HIRO
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Say you worked in the stockroom at woolworths

its closed now. they won't/can't check
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is my work history:

- Bhs Cafe (16yrs old). It was TERRIBLE. I spent half the time serving horrible food, and being treat like I was an idiot (I told the manager I was out of £1 coins, and he said "are you giving out coins instead of notes"?!).
- Post Office Stamp/Envelope Counter. I was given the job by my mum (the manager) while the regular staff were on strike
- McDonalds. I NEEDED money. I mean NEEDED it. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to pay rent
- Wetherspoons Bar Staff. Also, terrible. I was working too many hours, and given 2 days notice that I was working NYE. I also got mixed up with dates, and told them I couldn't work the day after boxing day, when I meant boxing day - gave them a weeks notice about how I couldn't do it, and they still got annoyed with me! - I quit
- Sainsburys Petrol Station. By far, the easiest job ever.

Anyway, my point with this is that you've got to try and apply for new/different things. I've been to the bottom of the barrell (McDonalds), but when you really need money, you'd do anything. Most of those jobs aren't the norm, and not where you would think of applying, but just try EVERYWHERE!
CharlieBee_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by .:Gamble:.)
RANT.

EVERY MORNING. EVERY SUMMER. EVERY JUNE & JULY.

JOB HUNT.

FAIL.

WHY.

\

Im obviously not going to give up or i'll starve lol. but im so pissed off.

got a volunteering interview tomorrow (first time). I always chase the money so i'll give this a try and see what happens.

LIFE. FML. :woo:
Are you me? :eek:
Jennie1987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Socialite)
Work in a bar...you don't need experience to work in a bar.
Or just lie and say you've worked in one before, that's what I did.
Preferably find one that takes in loads of gappies from Australia, usually they have high staff turnover and will take you on for a few months.
You dont need experience neither do you for checkout/admin/retail work in general as they train but they prefer people with experience and ppl like OP get beaten out of the race by other applicants who have it. Especially in this economy there are lots of good applicants out there applying for all jobs and so its much harder for ppl with no experience.

OP yes volunteering will be GREAT for your cv especially admin where you get experience thats much harder to get paid and you have a much better chance at landing something paid. It depends about costs for you - if you can afford it DO IT! An employer wants you to have relevant experience but also to have more than a week or two somewhere so that they can see you have a good attendance record/dependability/time management/reference/organisational skills etc. Why wouldnt it be good to have this when youre 20 with only a week/2 weeks on your entire cv?
Jennie1987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Threads like this make me glad as **** that I've actually put effort in keeping my skills, experience and CV updated.

OP, your only choice really is to spend your time constructively volunteering while you keep applying. Ask for travel expenses if it's a problem.
:hi: Im not going to agree with you, its getting boring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1335)
79.65%
Leave (341)
20.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed