Old motherboard spec, help! Watch

fourdigit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys,
well...i found another old motherboard in my storage and brings back the old memories of old games. Yeah, minesweepers

Anyhow the motherboard states:

Graphic - - Integrated Mirage Graphics
- Shared Memory Max. 64MB

Does not mean the old motherboard can handle only 64MB?

Thanks

Heres the link, for more spec of my old motherboard
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S41GX
ms607
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fourdigit)
Hi guys,
well...i found another old motherboard in my storage and brings back the old memories of old games. Yeah, minesweepers

Anyhow the motherboard states:

Graphic - - Integrated Mirage Graphics
- Shared Memory Max. 64MB

Does not mean the old motherboard can handle only 64MB?

Thanks

Heres the link, for more spec of my old motherboard
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S41GX
No, down the page it states the max RAM you can have is 2GB.
- 2 x DDR DIMM
- DDR333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB

The 64mb refers to the graphics memory.. I think.
Atrozius Faatz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am fairly sure that the 64mb is the graphics memory (as in, the video RAM available to the integrated graphics card). If you look a bit further down the page, you'll see this:

Max. capacity of system memory: 2G

So, it can hold a maximum of 2GB of *looks at specs* - DR333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory.

Also, there's an AGP slot for a better (non integrated) graphics card on there, so depending on your needs, you might invest in one.

Either way, don't expect it to handle any game released in the last 5+ years very well. But as that doesn't seem to be what you're after, you can still get plenty of life from this old motherboard if you pair it with suitable parts. :yep:

Good luck with everything.
fourdigit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Atrozius Faatz)
I am fairly sure that the 64mb is the graphics memory (as in, the video RAM available to the integrated graphics card). If you look a bit further down the page, you'll see this:

Max. capacity of system memory: 2G

So, it can hold 2GB of (the correct type of) RAM

Also, there's an AGP slot for a better (non integrated) graphics card on there, so depending on your needs, you might invest in one.

Either way, don't expect it to handle any game released in the last 5+ years very well. But as that doesn't seem to be what you're after, you can still get plenty of life from this old motherboard if you pair it with suitable parts. :yep:

Good luck with everything.
(Original post by ms607)
No, down the page it states the max RAM you can have is 2GB.
- 2 x DDR DIMM
- DDR333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB

The 64mb refers to the graphics memory.. I think.
So..does that mean 128MB or 254mb, 512mb agp graphic card will be meaningless if its max supported would be 64MB?

I plan to bid this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So..does that mean 128MB or 254mb, 512mb agp graphic card will be meaningless if its max supported would be 64MB?

I plan to bid this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
No, it's just that particular GPU that only allows a max 64MB shared memory.
fourdigit
Rep:
?
(Original post by spikeymike)
No, it's just that particular GPU that only allows a max 64MB shared memory.
Thanks, makes sense now rep will be given in orderly fashion
fourdigit
Rep:
?
Some more help on this:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...ad.asp?Idx=151

I plan to buy this CPU cooler + heatsink, it does not have my ASROCK ata 133 listed onto their compatability motherboards, my guess is its...not up to date.

The motherboard:

Has 4 holes around the CPU required to mount bracket the heatsink and the heatsink supports Socket 462, so i come to a conclusion, the heatsink should be compatible with the motherboard, right?
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP, what CPU do you have? Thats what you need to know.
fourdigit
Rep:
?
OP, what CPU do you have? Thats what you need to know.
on this old motherboard, its an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.0GHz, socket 462. Ok thanks again
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
on this old motherboard, its an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.0GHz, socket 462. Ok thanks again
It looks hellish to fit tbh by the looks of the box contents.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...man_heat_sink/

The HSF will fit, it just needs to match the socket type. Motherboard is irrelevent in my experience.
TShadow383
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is so retro, I like it
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=8&subcat=65
This would maybe be suitable ram, but you might have more luck hunting old DDR bits second hand. I'd look on TPU and bit-tech:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=122296
"Loads of 512 MB sticks of DDR1, 4 sticks for £10 inc. P&P"
Ideally you need 1GB sticks, but I'm sure someone will be selling the right stuff.
fourdigit
Rep:
?
It looks hellish to fit tbh by the looks of the box contents.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...man_heat_sink/

The HSF will fit, it just needs to match the socket type. Motherboard is irrelevent in my experience.
Thanks I've decided to look into watercooling for this old rig now, the old rig with current fan is running like somewhat 85-90db equivalent to a hair dryer, pretty loud. I guess hobby like these without spending too much don't hurt :p:

(Original post by TShadow383)
This is so retro, I like it
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=8&subcat=65
This would maybe be suitable ram, but you might have more luck hunting old DDR bits second hand. I'd look on TPU and bit-tech:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=122296
"Loads of 512 MB sticks of DDR1, 4 sticks for £10 inc. P&P"
Ideally you need 1GB sticks, but I'm sure someone will be selling the right stuff.
thanks, needed extra ram currently the old pc has 2 x 512mb ram lol

I'm amazed nowadays, the components are still at high cost. Would have thought it'll be like a pound or two :p:
TShadow383
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Watercooling's likely to cost more than the rest of the rig put together... but if you must do it at least it's still easy enough to get the parts and they're easy to transplant into a new system somewhere down the line...
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.ph...ocket-462.html
fourdigit
Rep:
?
After hooking up all the power supply, RAM, graphic card, etc. The system seems to shut down 5 minutes approx, there is no sign of overheating. I've used a Dust blower cannister to remove all that dust but still the decibals from the old system is like a blowing hair dryer.

The hard drive is formatted clean, i can't think what else is causing the system to shut down, all i can think of is, faulty components, such as the graphic card and CPU heatsink only.

I believe the motherboard + processor + power supply all in good working conditions. Trying to figure out the problem before i go spending expensive parts on watercooling. Sighs,

anyone have some ideas why an old system is acting this?

Watercooling's likely to cost more than the rest of the rig put together... but if you must do it at least it's still easy enough to get the parts and they're easy to transplant into a new system somewhere down the line...
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.ph...ocket-462.html
Thanks, the watercooling indeed are expensive.
TShadow383
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Proper application of TIM/heatsink?
fourdigit
Rep:
?
Proper application of TIM/heatsink?
Yep, i'm thinking it's graphic card which is faulty now. I removed the graphic card and seems perfectly fine for the CPU to run for longer duration than with the graphic card however CPU alone causes it to produce even somewhat noisy fan and when it cpu overheats, it automatically shuts down. Other than that, i think thats pretty normal when running just cpu alone....now i just need to find a new graphic card.

Later in future, probably near christmas, i may purchase silverstone raven pc case which is pretty awesome in terms of the flexibility in it's form factor and enables me to use my old asrock motherboard in

other than that, can't wait until my watercooling products arrives and see how the system will run for now.

[EDiTED] some down side to silverstone raven case in my opinion but i'd imagine old rig won't produce much heat so going to be running in my head for couple months
Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why are you buying a £200 case for a socket A mATX build? - this seems to go against common sense...and it's not worth buying watercooling for a socket A rig, they're hardly hot running, you'd get away nicely with the zalman HSF you listed above with it's fan controller
fourdigit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chaz_Hack_Rabbit)
Why are you buying a £200 case for a socket A mATX build? - this seems to go against common sense...and it's not worth buying watercooling for a socket A rig, they're hardly hot running, you'd get away nicely with the zalman HSF you listed above with it's fan controller
yeah true, the case was purely caught my attention that in future (e.g. 5-10 years later) when i may upgrade my motherboard from Micro ATX to probably ATX, just allow some flexibility but for now the case isn't important, just merely wandering in my mind.

It's really hard to constrain myself building or upgrading my old rig or any rig, i get too excited :excited: :excited:

yeah, i looked at the overall sum on watercooling and the annual maintenaince and replacement costs, i think its little bit over my budget on spending.

So i've decided to look into some passive cooling agp graphic card and awaiting the zalman cpu cooler so hopefully the system will be lot less quieter than it is now because its sounds like a hair dryer.

The objective was to manage simple basic applications, e.g. Office, internet browsing, work, etc and to reduce the 'whole system' sound emitting..so it sounds very very quiet.

The system is old so its not really a loss cause if components are damaged, whereas if i did watercooling on the Core i5 system, £400 graphic card, 4GB ram, etc etc, thats a different scenario.

I'm totally a novice to watercooling by the way and always wanted to experiement it which explain me going over the top.
TShadow383
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yeah true, the case was purely caught my attention that in future (e.g. 5-10 years later) when i may upgrade my motherboard from Micro ATX to probably ATX, just allow some flexibility but for now the case isn't important, just merely wandering in my mind.

It's really hard to constrain myself building or upgrading my old rig or any rig, i get too excited :excited: :excited:

yeah, i looked at the overall sum on watercooling and the annual maintenaince and replacement costs, i think its little bit over my budget on spending.

So i've decided to look into some passive cooling agp graphic card and awaiting the zalman cpu cooler so hopefully the system will be lot less quieter than it is now because its sounds like a hair dryer.

The objective was to manage simple basic applications, e.g. Office, internet browsing, work, etc and to reduce the 'whole system' sound emitting..so it sounds very very quiet.

The system is old so its not really a loss cause if components are damaged, whereas if i did watercooling on the Core i5 system, £400 graphic card, 4GB ram, etc etc, thats a different scenario.

I'm totally a novice to watercooling by the way and always wanted to experiement it which explain me going over the top.
You could always go with second hand parts - I very nearly bought a 360 rad loop off bit-tech for £80 but I didn't have room for it.
If you wanted less risky water cooling you could go with an asetek LCLC 240mm on whatever your new rig was.
Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ebay is good for starter water cooling kit - maybe a thermaltake bigwater box for ~£60 if you don't mind buying a completely new kit later on as the thermaltake kits don't use standard pipe sizes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads