whats 'line rental' ? Watch

W.H.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was looking a various broadband packages and came across this terminology.

So enlighten me, whats 'line rental' ?
beecher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
rental of a landline telephone connection
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Or in Virgin's case, it's the extra £12 a month they charge for broadband they put in the small print.

It's ONLY £5 A MONTH!*

*For the first month**

**When you also pay £12 a month for our unneccessary phone line that you don't really want.

Still, as I have recently found out, at least it's not ADSL. I've always had cable, but recently I moved into a flat that can't get it. And wow, ADSL is crap. I knew I wasn't going to get 24Mbit, but I though I'd get something like 10 considering I'm pretty close to the centre of town, not 4.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
Wednesday Bass
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's the charge for using the phone line. Most providers (I think) are fine with a BT landline, but others will charge you - like Virgin.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
It's the charge for using the phone line. Most providers (I think) are fine with a BT landline, but others will charge you - like Virgin.
The annoying thing with Virgin is that it doesn't technically require a phone line if you can get their cable. Other providers actually use the phone line, so it's understandable that you need to have one. Virgin on the other hand make it so a phone line is effectively required by making it only very slightly more expensive per month to get one. And because of the introductory deals, if you only need it for a year it's probably slightly cheaper over the course of the year. What annoys me most about it is how intentionally misleading their advertising is. The prices they advertise for packages are ones that require a phone line. So why isn't the phone line part of the package price? The only reason to separate it is to make it look cheaper than it really is. I don't know why ISPs are allowed to get away with so much false advertising. Don't even get me started on "unlimited" downloads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (251)
27.14%
No (674)
72.86%

Watched Threads