Valuable info! Post Weekly rent, location and room type Watch

mahony123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I just thought Id start a thread for those of us looking to know what to aim for in the private accommodation bracket. I'm from Ireland so really ignorant on the rent prices in London.

Would love if people just posted.

weekly rent
type of room (single twin...etc)
If its to intrusive I understand and thanks to anyone who volunteers their information.
schrodinger's cat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is going to be of no help:

The location you live in makes so much difference that this thread won't be too useful. Personally, i was stupid last year and stayed in Queen's Gate (ie 30secs from college) was about £170p/w. More normally people live in places like Hammersmith, Putney etc and these are closer to 100. Room type is pretty irrelevant in private... most people have single nowadays - more important is how many people share the actual flat. Most importanly, unless you've just finished first year and are leaving things late, worry about this later once you've enjoyed your first year, know who you're going to live with and your respective budgets.
Cyco
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep, prices are dependent on the road you live on, so saying 'Fulham' might move a 4 bed place from between £100 pwpp, up to 150.

As 'schrodinger's cat' mentioned above, there are some areas that are cheaper than others, but that's only the mean price, you can find cheap properties in expensive areas, and vice versa. The London property market is weird, so you have to have to do some thorough searching. Thankfully, there's a private accommodation 'database' within the student advice center, and they've got up to date listings of non-agency properties, and also people to check on the legality of everything.
mahony123
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Fair enough points taken. I've finished my undergrad in Ireland and about to start a postgrad here. I wasn't sure alright if it was a bit naive. For accomodation in Dublin it would have been valuable. Do you mind if I ask you though a few questions?

How likely am I to get Imperial student accomodation? I applied for the cheapest options and single room with room as my preference.

Are agencys a less advised option as regards to private. We dont really use them in Ireland as much.

And is the 15th of august a good time to travel over to start viewing or is it to early?

Thanks anyways for everything so far

Best of luck

Mahony
98QEHS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No idea about the chances of PG students with the accommodation office, although if you contact them now, they might be able to give you some advice.

I would recommend searching online (rightmove, primelocation, etc.) and phoning those agents to see the property you were interested in and asking them to show you similar ones. Gumtree can be ok, but these are normally private listings and you should be really careful about the terms of your contract.

I tried a cheap/student-oriented letting agent once and I would recommend you not to use one. Prices are roughly the same, but the places generally do look really bad.
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 98QEHS)
No idea about the chances of PG students with the accommodation office, although if you contact them now, they might be able to give you some advice.

I would recommend searching online (rightmove, primelocation, etc.) and phoning those agents to see the property you were interested in and asking them to show you similar ones. Gumtree can be ok, but these are normally private listings and you should be really careful about the terms of your contract.

I tried a cheap/student-oriented letting agent once and I would recommend you not to use one. Prices are roughly the same, but the places generally do look really bad.
For someone who's lived in 5 different places, self rented, found through gumtree and all kinds of **** I wholeheartedly recommend gumtree.

I'd find a place in either hammersmith/ravenscourt park/southwest fulham for ~100-120/week through gumtree and just join a house with random people you think are ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (91)
25.93%
No (260)
74.07%

Watched Threads