Turn on thread page Beta

Fit, but struggle with running? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a silly thing to say but it's been bugging me for ages.

Basically, I'm quite physically fit. I'm not just fooling myself as I thought I was before, but I saw a personal trainer today who said my fitness was good, my blood pressure was nice and low, I am apparently quite lean (17.5% body fat percentage and I definitely eat enough), I did their cardio with no issue at all (in fact it really wasn't intense enough for me I don't think) and despite my resting heart rate being 86 which isn't great, I don't think that is normal. I doubt I have proper white coat syndrome but I generally realise my pulse goes progressively higher when I or someone else is measuring it, also the personal trainer actually made me quite nervous and she was quite scary so I imagine that made it higher.

I can row (indoor and on water) with absolutely no issue, same with bikes etc, yet when it comes to running I find myself breathless and tired out within probably about 3 and a half minutes maximum? Any advice? Do I just panic (I hate the feeling of being breathless and I get tight chested a lot in general so when I'm running sometimes I feel a little vulnerable to getting a tight chest again) or am I doing something completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same - I'm fine when I cycle, swim, whatever, but I struggle to run for decent lengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocalyptic Fish)
    I feel exactly the same - I'm fine when I cycle, swim, whatever, but I struggle to run for decent lengths
    Thank big G it's not just me then. I feel like an old woman when I try to run.

I can also cycle and swim just fine. I can spend hours doing either, usually quite intense, but even gentle running turns me to jelly.

ReputationRep:
    Last summer (when I was fit) I had exactly the same thing. Running must just be evil :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Thank big G it's not just me then. I feel like an old woman when I try to run.

I can also cycle and swim just fine. I can spend hours doing either, usually quite intense, but even gentle running turns me to jelly.
    It might just be you're not as used to running as the other exercise you do :dontknow:

Such as with the exercise bike I'm pretty useless after a few minutes intense since I very rarely ride bikes, but running I'm great with.

If you want to get into it more, I'd suggest just doing short jogs about 2 or 3 days a week and slowly increasing it, but the main thing is that your trainer has said you're in good health, so I wouldn't worry too much about it

ReputationRep:
    completly different muscles, i have the same problem as i bike
    odd considering 4 years ago i was in my school cross country running team and now cant run for more than 20 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Last summer (when I was fit) I had exactly the same thing. Running must just be evil :dontknow:
    I think it is

(Original post by Jordan-Kirby)
    It might just be you're not as used to running as the other exercise you do :dontknow:

Such as with the exercise bike I'm pretty useless after a few minutes intense since I very rarely ride bikes, but running I'm great with.

If you want to get into it more, I'd suggest just doing short jogs about 2 or 3 days a week and slowly increasing it, but the main thing is that your trainer has said you're in good health, so I wouldn't wouldn't worry too much about it
    Ok, this does make sense. I was just ultra paranoid that I was actually fairly unfit but then today proved otherwise. I do seem to be getting a little better quite quickly, but wasn't sure whether that was willpower. A few weeks ago (though to be honest this wasn't a great measure as I was sleep deprived and hadn't eaten much) I struggled to do a minute and a half. I've at least increased it by about 2 minutes :p:

I went to the gym today and after the session with the trainer spent like an hour in the pool so obviously no running was involved but I may try some tomorrow.

I did the exercise bike for 10 minutes at a high rate earlier and could have carried on for much longer so I guess it just depends on the person!

ReputationRep:
    I can row (indoor and on water) with absolutely no issue, same with bikes etc, yet when it comes to running I find myself breathless and tired out within probably about 3 and a half minutes maximum? Any advice? Do I just panic (I hate the feeling of being breathless and I get tight chested a lot in general so when I'm running sometimes I feel a little vulnerable to getting a tight chest again) or am I doing something completely wrong?
    Being fit helps, obviously. But running is as much about technique as it is fitness.
    Of course it depends on your distance as well.
    But this isn't to say that the following factors could deter your running:
    - inconsistent pace
    - The pace is too fast for your body to cope with at the moment
    - Lack of practice.
    - The wrong shoes even
    - The distance you aim for vs the time you set out to run it.

Perhaps Im under the impression you may be taking this running issue too quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is

Ok, this does make sense. I was just ultra paranoid that I was actually fairly unfit but then today proved otherwise. I do seem to be getting a little better quite quickly, but wasn't sure whether that was willpower. A few weeks ago (though to be honest this wasn't a great measure as I was sleep deprived and hadn't eaten much) I struggled to do a minute and a half. I've at least increased it by about 2 minutes :p:

I went to the gym today and after the session with the trainer spent like an hour in the pool so obviously no running was involved but I may try some tomorrow.

I did the exercise bike for 10 minutes at a high rate earlier and could have carried on for much longer so I guess it just depends on the person!
    Willpower is quite a big part of it :yep:

Ahh well you will definitely improve with time, it's just something your body needs to adjust to. It's like if I tried to run 4 miles now, I could do it, but 10 miles I'd have to train for and improve at. Just keep working hard and it'll pay off

ReputationRep:
    Same here buddy, I'm the same and unfortunately my backup plan is the Navy... aaaargh :P Just wanting to read the replies

ReputationRep:
    Boredom can hinder your goals of achieving a long distance run. That's my opinion anyway. I used to run on a treadmill and only ran 45 minutes (jogging) before stopping due to boredom. I would then hit the weights. Ever since, I've started jogging in my local park with my mate, the fit ladies running in their sports bra's keeps me thoroughly entertained and I'm able to run for up to 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Two words. Core strength.

ReputationRep:
    Had a similar problem in that I knew I must be fairly fit as had trained once or twice a day for most of the year, and could do all the other machines well, but not running. Tried running outside and, while I'll never be a good runner, could manage a long run fine, so I think for me anyway it must have been a mental thing, have you tried running outside? I think its much easier with other things to distract you In any case as you said you'll have the basic cardio fitness, so if you perservere I'm sure it'll click sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not about will power. It's more about me not really being physically able to continue. I don't really use treadmills because they do bore me, but running round St James's park with all its loveliness and ducks and stuff is fine to me.

My shoes should be fine, I bought some new ones recently and was really careful to get the right type for me and asics are also supposed to be good I've heard so I trust them.

As for pace, when I was quite a lot younger I used to do a lot of sprinting, and I have been told I'm quite good at it even now though I don't really do it anymore, so I think maybe my pace may be a little too inconsistent, as when I run at what feels like a natural pace I'm sprinting and definitely can't keep it up, when I'm running slower any technique probably completely collapses and I have to be conscious all the time to keep the pace lower so it probably ends up quite inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Two words. Core strength.
    Rowing is all about core so it can't really be that.

ReputationRep:
    I have always had asthma (quite seriously when I was a child), but have, due to that, kept myself quite physically fit. I have no problem doing any kind of training (spinning, pilates, cardio, weights, anything really) apart from running.

Running has always made me very very out of breath and abnormally tired as well as having a tight chest (which are all signs of this type of asthma, exercise induced). My doctor has done several tests regarding my problem, and it seems I either have to really really push myself in order to get a tight chest during any other kind of exercise, but with running, I'll get a tight chest after about 15 minutes of running non-stop.

Also, my asthma is very much unnoticeable unless I have to run, and it is particularly worse when running outside. It's got something to do with the way your lungs absorb different types of air humidity.

Really dunno if you might have it as I'm not a doc or anything, but its worth a look perhaps? http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exerc...article_em.htm

ReputationRep:
    Rowing is all about core so it can't really be that.
    Have you done a structured core strength routine 3/4 times a week for three months?

ReputationRep:
    You might be trying to run too fast at the start, the same thing happened to me when I started running.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. I don't think its anything to worry about.
    I'm 6:4 and I can cycle, swim, jog and play games like football with no real hassle.
    However, when it comes to running, I can only do a flat out 100 meter sprint and then I'm bushed.
    I've got really long legs in proportion to my hieght so I can sprint like hell, but when it comes to things like 200, 800 and 1000 meters I just cant go any ways past 100 really and have to jog it.
    I've got a high BSP so I can do excersize for largely extended amounts of time, so its not that.
    Like I said, I don't think its anything to worry about.
    My mate's mother is a fitness instuctor and I also brought this up with her and she said that through her work they get a few people like this, and if its that common and a problem, yet we aren't bothered by Doctors etc about it, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps your body is moving faster than your body can cope with.

When I run I take huge strides and tire myself out too quickly. A lot of issues new runners get is trying to adopt a better breathing technique. Some people try and count breaths per certain numbers of heel strikes, and others insist you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

When I run my muscles fatigue way after my chest gives up (heart racing +breathlessness)...try concentrating on your breathing, but most of all practice. Your pace is key here too.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.