Prisoner's dilemma Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I've seen this loads of times in different subjects. I've never heard what the solution is, or if there even is one.

You and your mate have just been arrested for murder. You're both whisked off to separate rooms where you're questioned. The deal is this, if you both plead not guilty, you're both released, and all is good. However, if you plead not guilty and your mate pleads guilty, you get life, and he gets 10 years. If you both plead guilty, you both get life. What do you plead?
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I've seen this loads of times in different subjects. I've never heard what the solution is, or if there even is one.

You and your mate have just been arrested for murder. You're both whisked off to separate rooms where you're questioned. The deal is this, if you both plead not guilty, you're both released, and all is good. However, if you plead not guilty and your mate pleads guilty, you get life, and he gets 10 years. If you both plead guilty, you both get life. What do you plead?
You might have been arrested for murder, but did you actually commit the murder?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
You might have been arrested for murder, but did you actually commit the murder?
Yes.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Not guilty.

Not guilty = you might get freedom or life

Guilty = you will get 10 years or life

Not hard really.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

The prisoner's dilemma is the simplest example of game theory, a branch of mathematics based on predicting the best options to take based on the options other players take. Game theory can be used to analyse card games like poker, in economics to predict the behavior of firms and probably in lots of other places.

I can't remember how to analyse the prisoners dilemma (doing game theory in both maths and economics is very confusing) but in general a player will choose the stratergy which gives him the best outcome regardless of what choice the other player chooses.

A nice little introduction to game theory can be found here
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if there is a tonne of evidence to say you committed the murder plead GUILTY asap cos you'll get sentencing discounts and the ability to appeal if convicted.

If there ain't much evidence and you're feeling cocky, plead NOT GUILTY as in a crown court juries are sooo stupid you've only got a 40% chance of getting convicted. stupid really!
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

i thought it was more if you plead not guilty your mate automatically is assumed to be guilty. or something, its more about trust, if he pleads not guilty then he is saying you did it..god i can't remember
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

This is not the Prisoner's Dilemma (in its original form, anyway).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (139)
46.33%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.67%

Watched Threads