what master degree can I apply with a 2:2?

Watch
mart2306
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KimKong)
JOKER!

Are you saying that the OP isn't ''masters material'' on the basis that you have inside knowledge in every university and you know what each institution defines as ''masters material''?

Or are you just being a know-it-all snob?
There is no other option. Please choose one.

The OP might be able to write a wicked personal statement or give reasons for their 2:2. They got into UCL economics afterall, they can't be that stoopid!

And yet they got a 2.2 so they are that stupid.

Every postgraduate course I've been interested in looking at in this country has required a 2.1.
A masters is supposed to be tougher than a degree - with much bigger dissertation.
KimKong
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mart2306)
And yet they got a 2.2 so they are that stupid.

Every postgraduate course I've been interested in looking at in this country has required a 2.1.
A masters is supposed to be tougher than a degree - with much bigger dissertation.
ok, the op is stupid... I'm sure that's what they started this post for... To be told that.

Rather than answering the question, people wanna shoot the OP down. Booriful, just BOORIFUL!
BandManDan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belema)
The grandson of the neighbour of the favorite butcher of his uncle got a 2:2 from UCL and then went on to do a PhD at Harvard...

No seriously... what are you talking about? What evidence do YOU provide for the cr*p you write?

Why are that many of you coming here just to find someone 'weaker' to insult or discourage? I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help each other... I am sure that there exists a constructive way of helping yin_patrick (even without necessarily advising him to apply to Harvard!) But seriously if you don't want to help, then don't reply!
I am VERY, VERY, SORRY!
Itchynscratchy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A Masters with a 2:2 is not impossible, you may be severely restricted, but not shut out altogether.

I got a 3rd two years ago and will finish my MSc with a merit next month, although I think it's easier in the sciences to come back like this.

Don't worry OP, you just might have to lower your standards a bit, and try not to get discouraged.
janabe
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Blueflare)
A Masters is an academic qualification. One needs to be reasonably academic to do it. A 2.2 demonstrates a lack of academic ability.
I don't think a Masters is the right course for someone in that position, it would be better to get some solid work experience.
Is that why some Masters have a second class requirement, i.e. a 2i or 2ii?
Eubacterium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP ignore the flamers. They probably don't even have a degree because I've never heard graduates talk that way. I got a 2:2 in microbiology and had the same experience on this forum when I asked for advise. They were telling me I wouldn’t cope with masters level. :rolleyes: Like I was interested their opinion…

I haven't found a 2:2 stood in the way when I applied for MScs. I went onto one at a good uni. Have you looked up Manchester? The people on my course came from unis from around the world and there were two others with a 2:2. I also haven't found having a 2:2 affected my job prospects. One of my housemates has a 2:1 and he's stuck in an dead-end job which he tries to cover up with elaborate lies... :rolleyes: Actually I think I've been quite lucky compare to most grads, many of which have no employment at all. I read a while ago in the economics forum that people with 2:2 in finance generally end up in similar positions to those with higher classifications.

The truth is because someone has a 2:1 or higher doesn’t mean they can do the job. Employers want evidence of that, which not everyone can provide. I made the effort to get work experience during my BSc and applied it to the questions they asked. Getting a masters helps of course.
yin_patrick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks for all the positive advices!

I am simply suprised as some of my coursemate can't even finish their degree, some can't even get into UCL,(and they are not stupid at all!) my course isn't that easy as many of you might think.

and i just saw a 19years old girl up there saying that graduate 2:2 in UCL is a shame. Yes considering the time and money i invested that's true, but I dunt think a 19years old girl can understand that(unless she is a genius) Is everyone here doing a phd in oxford or cambridge...? and a 2:1 in UCL is genius and 2:2 is just total crap...? I wasn't hardworking at all for my first 2 years that i got a 2.2. I hope there's a coming back.

I might try some second tier or third tier university.

Wud it be worth doing a CFA/GMAT in my...gap year?haha..just asking
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Dude, you are saying you are applying for finance courses right? I can swear to god you won't be able to get into universities like Durham, Manchester, Leeds whatsoever...

forget about the advice given by the musicology student, the competitiveness of getting into a MA Music (or whatever) is totally uncomparable to getting into a MSc Finance or related subjects...

What is your intention of doing a MSc and how "good" is your 2:2? If you are thinking of working in the financial industry after your master, then you should know that the minimum entry requirement for banks and accounting firms is almost always 2:1...

in other words, a master will probably not give your any advantages in the labour market....
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tarutaru)

Dude, you are saying you are applying for finance courses right? I can swear to god you won't be able to get into universities like Durham, Manchester, Leeds whatsoever...

forget about the advice given by the musicology student, the competitiveness of getting into a MA Music (or whatever) is totally uncomparable to getting into a MSc Finance or related subjects...

What is your intention of doing a MSc and how "good" is your 2:2? If you are thinking of working in the financial industry after your master, then you should know that the minimum entry requirement for banks and accounting firms is almost always 2:1...

in other words, a master will probably not give your any advantages in the labour market....
You are managing to mix up good and bad advice.

GOOD

Admissions standards for music and hard sciences are totally irrelevant.

A masters degree may not improve the OP's job prospects

BAD

Admission to banking, accountancy and finance is certainly not limited to 2:1 graduates. Indeed they are not limited to graduates at all. I agree that Goldman Sachs won't give you a job but a lot of partners in accountancy firms start out as audit clerks or tax juniors and a lot of senior managers in banks start out at the bottom of retail banking.
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, can you provide evidence to support you claim? do you have statistics about "the many" investment bankers start from a retail banking counter?

I do agree that many partners of accountancy firms start from audit clerks or tax juniors. What you are saying is indeed the typical path of an accountancy career. However, to my knowledge, people need 2:1 to join the vast majority of the accountancy firms' graduate programs to become a "audit clerk" and "tax junior"... To see this, you can go and look at the minimum entry requirement of the big four and other big accountancy firms...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Ernst_-_Young
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...des_-_Deloitte
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...erhouseCoopers
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Grant_Thornton
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Guides_-_KPMG

Even a medium size accountancy firm like Kingston Smith LLP requires their "audit clerk" and "tax juniors" to have a 2:1..........

http://www.kingstonsmith.co.uk/kings...-opportunities
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You are managing to mix up good and bad advice.

GOOD

Admissions standards for music and hard sciences are totally irrelevant.

A masters degree may not improve the OP's job prospects

BAD

Admission to banking, accountancy and finance is certainly not limited to 2:1 graduates. Indeed they are not limited to graduates at all. I agree that Goldman Sachs won't give you a job but a lot of partners in accountancy firms start out as audit clerks or tax juniors and a lot of senior managers in banks start out at the bottom of retail banking.
Oh dear dear, people even need a 2:1 to work on a branch counter O_o

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...s_-_Lloyds_TSB

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-_HBOS_Banking

Oh! I just found out to work on Barclays' counter just requires a 2: 2!!! perhaps, the thousands of Barclays staffs can become investment bankers or stock traders sometimes indefinitely in their future XD

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Barclays_Bank
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, can you provide evidence to support you claim? do you have statistics about "the many" investment bankers start from a retail banking counter?
Where did "investment" come from? You originally said "working in the financial industry". I would very surprised if any investment bankers start on retail banking counters but many senior corporate, commercial and private (ie HNW) bankers do so.

I do agree that many partners of accountancy firms start from audit clerks or tax juniors. What you are saying is indeed the typical path of an accountancy career. However, to my knowledge, people need 2:1 to join the vast majority of the accountancy firms' graduate programs to become a "audit clerk" and "tax junior"... To see this, you can go and look at the minimum entry requirement of the big four and other big accountancy firms..

However, both the large accountancy practices and smaller practices take entrants other than on graduate schemes and train them internally.
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Where did "investment" come from? You originally said "working in the financial industry". I would very surprised if any investment bankers start on retail banking counters but many senior corporate, commercial and private (ie HNW) bankers do so.

However, both the large accountancy practices and smaller practices take entrants other than on graduate schemes and train them internally.
for example?? what are these alternative routes?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear dear, people even need a 2:1 to work on a branch counter O_o

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...s_-_Lloyds_TSB
This is for a £25K starting salary! I bet they want a 2:1

This vacancy is straight off RBS's website. \Why can't the OP apply for this job in the financial industry?

Customer Service Officer- Stockport - RBS - Full Time Hours - Permanent

Ref 00028296
Region UK - North of England
Location Stockport
Working Hours Permanent - Full Time
Job Type Branch based Customer Service

At RBS, the vision for UK Retail is to become Britain’s most helpful and sustainable bank. Our people are key in helping us achieve this, which is why we place a high priority in recruiting the very best people with the right skills, experience and behaviours.

Branch Location: North Evington/Evington Road

Job Description

Based in a branch, you’ll the first point of contact for customers, helping them find the products and services which are right for them, as well as maintaining good relationships to encourage future sales.

Requirements

Each week, we’ll expect you to generate a minimum number of sales leads, book a set number of appointments and handle a quota of customer queries. It’s also vital that you follow closely all our legal compliance procedures and you must also adhere to the RBS values, in interaction with both customers and colleagues.

Responsibilities

You’ll meet and greet customers in your branch, dealing with their queries and concerns and providing the help they need. You will either offer the appropriate product or service yourself, or introduce the customer to a colleague who’ll be able to advise them further.

With a view to both generating sales leads and ensuring world-class customer service, you’ll also contact customers to discuss their precise needs and arrange appointments, while also liaising with colleagues and business partners for assistance when you need it.

Essentially, you will:
• Be the first point of contact for customers in the branch
• Pursue potential sales leads
• Update both customer files and your diary after each action
• Action postal/fax/e-mail correspondence where necessary
• Prepare batches of work for processing off-site

Additional Website Text

Salary & Benefits

The RBS Group is recognised as having one of the most innovative and flexible reward programmes in the financial services sector.

* Salary from £11,778
* In addition to your salary you would receive up to a further 25% of your salary paid to you as benefit funding instead of a traditional pension plan*
* Sharesave Scheme – Save 20% off RBS shares and cash-in, tax-free after 3 years
* Minimum of 22 days holiday per year plus a further 8 Bank Holidays (both pro rata based on hours worked)
* All employees have access to a great range of discounted financial services products including Mortgages, Loans, Savings and Insurance as well as discounts on other products and services from a number of well known retailers and manufacturers

*Please note that you would have the opportunity to contribute towards the Group’s Retirement Savings Plan. Different levels of Benefit Funding may apply in other schemes across the RBS Group.

Hours

* Full Time Hours
* Permanent Contract
* Retail Hours: Monday - Sunday 08:00 - 20:00
* Some weekend work may be required
* Your actual working hours will be discussed at interview
* Training will be Full Time
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes XD, you are right. Like Barclays, RBS also requires only 2:2 for people working on the counter XD XD

http://www.makeitrbs.com/programmes/...ss-leadership/

Salary from £11,778 is not bad, slight better than a guy I know who is working part-time in the kitchen of a restaurant in Leicester Square XD
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
for example?? what are these alternative routes?
From the Deloittes website

Firm Service: National Departments

Reference Code: 39623

Type of Position: Full-time

Job Description

Job Title: Finance Assistant - 12-month fixed term contract - with a possibility of the role becoming permanent and offering study package

Deloitte overview:
With 11,000 exceptional people across the UK and Switzerland, Deloitte has the broadest and deepest range of skills of any business advisory organisation, and we have a straightforward goal: to be recognised as the pre-eminent and most trusted professional services firm, famous for the calibre of our people and respected for the exceptional quality of our work.

Overview of service line, group and office:
The role is within the internal management accounting team who support the financial transacting within the Tax service line. The team of 14 people deal with all the day to day financial requirements of the London Tax business, as well as strategic and commercial reviews for the Tax Leadership.

Role Overview:
The Finance Assistant is mentored by a senior member in the team and reports to the Financial Controller for the specific area of the business. The role will involve providing day to day assistance in preparing financial information as well as other client/project ad hoc tasks. The role also involves assisting and dealing with people at all levels of the organisation in an efficient and effective manner.

Key Responsibilities:

Issue of reports in accordance with weekly and monthly deadlines
Revenue reports
Utilisation
Billed provisions
Recovery Analysis
Cost pivot tables and analysis
Clients & Markets
Headcount (actual v plan)

Timesheets
Monitor and chase late/missing timesheets
Ensure Group Partners receive missing timesheet reports by 10am on Day 2 of month end processing

Allowance review (quarterly)
Net risk reports
Assist in analysis of allowance review data

Client Data
Provide assistance on completing relevant forms (e.g. change project), ensuring appropriate authorisation and process
Raise journals upon request
Help with maintenance of client engagement projects (clear leaver timesheets, transfer of leaver projects etc)
Provide ad hoc advice and information on SAP queries to the Service Line

Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:

* Candidates are expected to hold at least 3 'A' Levels (or equivalent qualifications)
* Good communication and numeracy skills
* Strong Excel skills
* Good team working skills
* Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
* Ability to organise and prioritise a busy workload
* Ability to use own initiative
* Willingness to learn
* Experience in a business environment would be desirable
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Salary from £11,778 is not bad, slight better than a guy I know who is working part-time in the kitchen of a restaurant in Leicester Square XD
And if he wants to make a career in catering he is better doing that than working in a bank.

But if he wants to work in finance he would be better flogging ISAs in Stockport!
Tarutaru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for you information!XD I did not know there are even jobs for people only have A-Levels qualification!!!!!!
mart2306
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for you information!XD I did not know there are even jobs for people only have A-Levels qualification!!!!!!

Oh yes.
I've worked in a bank for a while with only GCSEs.

To get decent positions, to get into finance as such rather than simply frontline banking, need the higher qualifications.

The branch manager had a 2.1 but he was being groomed for higher roles - whichever branch he was at was consistently the highest performing branch in the area.
mart2306
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wallabingbang)
I have known plenty of people from my University (Warwick) that got 2:2s and are doing just fine! Obviously it isn't always the ideal situation and it means you have to fight that little bit harder for everything, but by no means impossible. I.e. Have a friend who got a 2:2 from biological sciences and he is now doing a PhD at Warwick with a different supervisor. He had to interview just like everybody else and whilst it probably helped that he went to the University he still had to explain why he had gotten the 2:2.

Another of my friends who also graduated from Warwick with a 2:2 in Psychology is at Deloitte doing the accountancy grad course. And another is starting at Accenture this Sept actually.

Just goes to show you can still go on to do further edu or get into a very good company!

I also don't think that all employers/institutions will always just assume if you have a 2:2 you have no 'academic ability'. People know that when it comes down to it, just because you aren't an exam type person doesn't mean you don't have the ability to do well in a business/masters environment (especially if the masters is by research).

So many people at University don't get the grade they deserved. Just make the best of the situation and don't let people tell you that you can't do it. Just have a go applying wherever you want. Call up and ask if the requirement is a definate because sometimes they won't cut you out just because you missed the 2:1!
Yes, on some other threads there has been discussion about people not getting the grades they deserved.
Generally talking about inflation of grades and how far more 1st and 2.1 degrees are awarded now as a percentage of the class than used to be 15 years ago.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (29)
18.83%
I'm not sure (3)
1.95%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
34.42%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.95%
I'm not a current university student (66)
42.86%

Watched Threads