Whic gym to join at UCL, is there a gym? where is this gym? Watch

logic123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi i would like a bit more information on joining the gym at UCL

Could any point me in the direction prices, facilities, location, thanks.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well UCL has a gym in the nearby Bloomsbury Centre called Bloomsbury Fitness (3rd floor I think). It is not too expensive for a years sub I remember paying £160 for a year 4 years ago..

The gym is small and open to the public, but has no pool: http://www.uclunion.org/leisure-fitness/bloomsbury/

The other gym associated with the Uni is ULU Gym, and used by people at any Uni of London establishment. They have a decent pool but the gym is a little more expensive.

http://www.ulu.co.uk/content/?page=9664

There is also a Fitness First gym on Tottenham Crt Rd (behind the Medics Union there is an entrance) and is the price you would ordinarily find for a FF gym.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I tend to say that if you have a particular preference for squash, go for the UCL gym. If you have a particular preference for swimming, go for the ULU gym.

If you like both or have no preference, then I'd suggest you check out both gyms to see how you like them. There are a few differences, such as ULU being open on Sundays (I'm not sure the UCL one is) and the ULU one having screens in front of the treadmills, but it really depends on what's important to you.

I'm not sure on exact prices but they can be found easily online. ULU tends to be a bit more. I usually get 6-month memberships rather than yearly ones as I tend not to use the gym between May-September (cos of exams and moving home for the summer).
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How busy does the gym get? If it's small does it get rather crowded very quickly? Any times in particular to avoid?
CMJBGBWC
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've read that UCL gym is really cramped and always busy.
The Mute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CMJBGBWC)
I've read that UCL gym is really cramped and always busy.
It's being renovated this summer, with an extra 200m2 of floor space, hopefully for a decent free weights area...
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Bloomsbury is pretty crap if you go after 5 or so in term time. Very crowded and there's a queue to use a lot of the kit. There's an extension being built now but I have no clue whether that'll improve the situation or not.

It's cheap c.£150 last year I believe. ULU has a pool and an equally terrible gym for about c.£250 while Fitness First has an awesome gym but costs a minimum of say £35-40 per month from memory. It's all about choices :P
hanhaoha
Report 9 years ago
How're the facilities in each one? Say like variety of equipments/quality of dumbbells/no of equipments
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rubberised dumbells up to 40kg in 2kg increments at ULU/UCLU gyms. Pretty crummy benches with high J-hooks on both. One squat rack and a half rack at UCLU, one squat rack at ULU. Mediocre machines at both. A reasonable number of treadmills/cardio machines that I don't care about at both.

Fitness First is £30 a month (wheras UCLU is £13/ULU is £25) but has Eleiko bars, low j-hook benches and a decent rack. In short it's much better.
The Mute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just been to UCLU, and the extension will be ready by september 1st. A massively improved free weights area, or so I hear.

£140 for the year if you join by the end of October, but you'll need the gym membership if you want to join certain societies anyway. My advice: Join Bloomsbury.
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Judo, Fencing and I believe dance. However, this is just off the top of my head so I could possibly have missed a few.
zcomputer5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Blind Monk)
Fitness First is £30 a month (wheras UCLU is £13/ULU is £25) but has Eleiko bars, low j-hook benches and a decent rack. In short it's much better.
How did you manage to get fitness first membership for £30? Its £50+?
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The one I'm talking about is near Russel Square, not the one on Tottenham Court Road. It doesn't have a pool or any of that jazz, just a weight room. Not quite as good as the TCR one but still better than the Bloomsbury or ULU.
zcomputer5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The one I'm talking about is near Russel Square, not the one on Tottenham Court Road. It doesn't have a pool or any of that jazz, just a weight room. Not quite as good as the TCR one but still better than the Bloomsbury or ULU.
OK fair enough, and you only pay £30 per month for the one in Russell square? How much do you lift by the way?
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's £30 a month for that one if you sign up for a year. £40 month by month.

My lifting is nothing exceptional: 65kg bodyweight, 130kgx2 squat 90kg bench 150x4 for the deadflift
zcomputer5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's £30 a month for that one if you sign up for a year. £40 month by month.

My lifting is nothing exceptional: 65kg bodyweight, 130kgx2 squat 90kg bench 150x4 for the deadflift
Ok thats similar to mine really as I can do 120-130kgx8 squat, bench 95kgx8 and deadlift 170kgx5 and clean 100kg, though I normally use TCR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads