Falling in love with internet person?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The person might be on TSR so I am being anon.

I started speaking to person X via instant message and I think I like that person already.

We've only been speaking for one week now via instant message + skype, but I feel quite strongly about this person. Person X seems so sweet, physically attractive, similar interests to me, etc.

I'm feeling scared though because I find myself just thinking about this person throughout the day.

To be honest, I don't know what to do. I like this person so much after only a short amount of time.
EssRidge
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People can be very different online compared to offline. You need to meet him/her to really know.
booksnob
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's ultimately your life and you can do what you like about it. I assume you're over 16 and this person isn't some gnarly old man?
Personally, I'd rather meet someone in the flesh.
emanuel_arsenalfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
try to arrange to meet..but DO NOT go alone..
noobcake
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you had face to face conversations on skype?
The problems with internet relationships is that you never can truly know a person without meeting them face to face. People can be whoever they want to online and are never exactly the same irl. You have to be careful because when you lack something of a person's identity or character (as when you chat online) your mind fills in the blanks for you. Often with an ideal. So you could well be falling for a partly imaginary/idealised person.

You should at least try talking on the phone before taking it further. See if you gel within the context of a "real" conversation.
Crazy Paving
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meet them first, of course. God knows who they might actually be. :hide:
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
Damn, it's not me, I don't use skype.

Its been a week and you already think you've fallen for him? Talk a bit more or just arrange a meeting IRL and see where it'll go.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Hmm. This is happening to me, too.

I've known him three years though and he's so amazingly beautiful. Not purely physically but inside, too.
MissSasha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I Wouldn’t meet anybody from the internet unless the following

I had there FB and checked it wasn’t a fake profile that they updated, had real friends and saw pictures of them with other people

Even then I would meet them without others around in a very public place, but then again i would only meet people as friends so i would only meet other girls...
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MissSasha)

I had there FB and checked it wasn’t a fake profile that they updated, had real friends and saw pictures of them with other people

Even then I would meet them without others around in a very public place, but then again i would only meet people as friends so i would only meet other girls...
Definitely this ^
cynthialf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I met my bf online 3.5 years ago in early 2007, after talking to him for about two weeks I was already in love and it has lasted ever since. You should definitely tell them how you feel (especially if there are any signs that they feel the same) and if possible meet up - it took about 6 months before I and my boyfriend could meet up as we live in different countries and I was only 14 at the time.

Edit: But as mentioned, meet in a public place as others have instructed etc.
pina.Love
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no offence but I think that is kinda sad.

I know this is going to sound so old, but what happened to making friends in person?
Its just seems weird
draikzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Internet love and relationships are very superficial. Many times you meet and they just don't work, or the person you fall for is not the same in real life to how they portray themselves online.

If you wish to pursue this, meet up in a public place for a coffee or something. Get to know this person and build a relationship from there. What you're describing isn't really love, and to me sounds like an infatuation. But if you do meet the person and you do build a relationship it could well turn into love.

Just go for it, but make sure your safety is always in your mind.
Anonymous #3
Report 10 years ago
Oh. my. god. That is EXACTLY what i am going through right now. ... and we have only been speaking 1 week also....

I am now wanting to know if I'm the person you're on about...
secret_smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go meet him. Just don't go alone or arrange to meet in a very public place and make sure people know where you are.

I met a guy on a forum when I was 14 :love:

We met up and we were together for 2 years

But tbh even though we did work as a relationship, he was very different in real life than what he was over the internet. People generally are. There is just so much you can't pick up on through email and IM.
Jordan-Kirby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One week? :lolwut:
Perplexingly_Jaded
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its not me is it? :sexface:
Dammit, I don’t do skype.

As others before have said, people can be different offline as they are online. Then again not everyone who uses the internet is a big dirty old man who wants to groom you and then lock you in their basement. There are genuine people
Mr Anononomous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MissSasha)

But but but! I don't have Facebook
Anonymous #3
Report 10 years ago
Why are people assuming the person is a girl talking about a boy? OP let us know the gender!!
F.I
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Arrange a get together? But before you show any interest in him get to know him really well online, dont rush into it. Then arrange a friendly meet, somewhere your familiar with (its not a good idea to meet someone new in a new environment) and let someone know or let them come with you. Stay safe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.67%
I'm not sure (40)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.33%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (442)
48.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise