This discussion is closed.
beebee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
just a question to anyone out there who may know what the prospects are of gaining an offer after being interviewed through the pool. I applied to read history at Magdalene (Cambridge) and was pooled. Last monday I was called for another interview at St Johns (a far nicer college than the one I had initially applied to, ironically), which I had on thursday. Main question - does anyone have any idea as to how many people from the 3,000-odd pooled are then interviewed, and from there, how many get places.

any info. appreciated
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i don't know, but you stand a good chance.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by beebee)
just a question to anyone out there who may know what the prospects are of gaining an offer after being interviewed through the pool. I applied to read history at Magdalene (Cambridge) and was pooled. Last monday I was called for another interview at St Johns (a far nicer college than the one I had initially applied to, ironically), which I had on thursday. Main question - does anyone have any idea as to how many people from the 3,000-odd pooled are then interviewed, and from there, how many get places.

any info. appreciated
Search through the old threads....i can't quite remember which one it was...but someone posted a whole load of stats regarding the pool....

Good luck

G
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
i don't know, but you stand a good chance.

beebee thinks St Johns is a much nicer college than Magdalene. Surely you have something to say about that.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
beebee thinks St Johns is a much nicer college than Magdalene. Surely you have something to say about that.
wow missed that!
Oh well, bad luck, you got pooled by the far superior college. You don't really want to go to Johns anyway, since every hates them, and you probably applied to Magdalene because its small and friendly, two words you couldn't use to describe Johns.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wow missed that!
Oh well, bad luck, you got pooled by the far superior college. You don't really want to go to Johns anyway, since every hates them, and you probably applied to Magdalene because its small and friendly, two words you couldn't use to describe Johns.

Hehe, well recovered.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Magdalene because its small and friendly
It must be because it's small I don't think I've met more than one person from there, but they were small and friendly. Maybe people are very similar to their college. Then again, maybe not.

Don't forget Johns is regarded as the other suicide college!

Alaric.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
suicide college?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
It must be because it's small I don't think I've met more than one person from there, but they were small and friendly. Maybe people are very similar to their college. Then again, maybe not.

Alaric.
i heard the suicide college was queens?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)

Alaric.
is that 'other' to Christs?
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whats a sucide college? like the REALLY geeky colleges? thats merton and johns at Ox isnt it? jesus isnt geeky is it? :s (Ox) i hope not :s
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i heard queens had the highest suicide rate?
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)

It's Christs as far as I know - wasn't that the place where the guy went nuts, stapled his curtains shut, hid himself away for weeks around exam time and went to the toilet in his sink....
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you guys and gals serious about this suicide discussion!?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
It's Christs as far as I know - wasn't that the place where the guy went nuts, stapled his curtains shut, hid himself away for weeks around exam time and went to the toilet in his sink....
agggghhhhh the thought is scary!
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
Are you guys and gals serious about this suicide discussion!?
Yeeess, but I don't think it happens that often. It's just there is tremendous scope for pressure in Oxbridge if you let it get to you. so people like me (at the moment anyway!) don't care because I know I'm only there for me but some are under huge pressure from family.

Sometimes people just turn out to be the sort that are driven to be incessantly hard on themselves and it wouldn't matter how well they did. the thing with Christs is that it gives matriculation offers (EE) to excellent candidates and that unfortunately seems to attract people who have to seem to be the absolute best. This can lead to real unhappiness hence the higher suicide rate. Most people are happy here though!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry I was suggesting the other one was christ's - I don't know any of the statistics, but they are generally perceived that way.

As far as I'm aware though I thought there was a worse problem at Imperial? Thought their big tower had a reputation for human rain.

Really I think someone should catch them before they go too nuts but pressures abound they either don't always go out and find people and hence get further reclusive or they bottle it up and then crack. I'm not aware of how the proportion of people committing suicide at cambridge compares with other unis or indeed the general population, though they are always blamed on stress at cambridge.

Frankly though, work doesn't mean that much.

Alaric.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
tsk no queens' is lovely
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
tsk no queens' is lovely
good to hear...my head of year heard some horror story about it! prob made up...but you never know!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads