The Student Room Group

Which liquid stays cold the longest?

I'm making my own gel freeze packs using a few internet based instuctions I have found.

However, I was wondering if there was anything better than washing up liquid/Ice like these instuctions have said.

Or does none of this matter and its based on the insulation of the container?

Thanks
Reply 1
I know this is off topic, but what's the reason for making your own, just out of interest?
Reply 2
Perhaps you should think about buying them as opposed to trying to make your own - if it goes wrong you could poison yourself.

BTW, antifreeze tends to stay coldest the longest. It's also uber toxic.
Reply 3
Harv616
I'm making my own gel freeze packs using a few internet based instuctions I have found.

However, I was wondering if there was anything better than washing up liquid/Ice like these instuctions have said.

Or does none of this matter and its based on the insulation of the container?

Thanks

Water has the second highest heat capacity of all liquids, so will stay cool for the longest, other than ammonia. Which you don't want to be using as it is nasty stuff.
Reply 4
Well I get headaches now and then and a bag of peas in a tea towel on my head works wonders, however the bag of peas is getting smaller and smaller.

Also I'm a tight git who doesn't want to spend £5 on an ice pack when I can just make one from stuff which is in the house :P

Hm so I take it solids which a relativly low melting point (i.e. butter) would still be inferior to water?

Thanks anyway guys :smile:
Reply 5
Harv616
Well I get headaches now and then and a bag of peas in a tea towel on my head works wonders, however the bag of peas is getting smaller and smaller.

Also I'm a tight git who doesn't want to spend £5 on an ice pack when I can just make one from stuff which is in the house :P

Hm so I take it solids which a relativly low melting point (i.e. butter) would still be inferior to water?

Thanks anyway guys :smile:

Just make ice cubes in the freezer and then when needed transfer them to a carrier bag thats tied with a knot to stop the melted water escaping.

Then put a new set in for next time.

No need to go messing around with home made ice packs and eutectic mixtures of washing liquid and water.
I make my own ice packs due to chronic pain. I use them literally half the day. Water has been the longest lasting of anything I've tried. The key is putting it into a hot/cold water bottle then putting a pillow case, towel, ice pack cover, etc, over the ice pack so you don't get burns. Another way, and I know it sounds weird, put unused clean clay cat litter in either a hot/cold water bottle or a ziplock bag. Add enough water too it to make it mushy. Then close and freeze. If you use ziplock bags, use a few layers. Also add a cover of some sort so you don't get freezer burnt. My clay ones last about an hour to 4 hours depending on the size. Clay ones are soft after they thaw a little, but the water ones last about 8 hours. I use both at different times. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending