Shorter terms- good or bad? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Daenerys
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Was wondering what current Oxbridge students think about the shorter 8-week terms. Personally I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have 10 week terms with the workload spread out more, longer time to do essays and extracurricular activies, etc... I've found it way too tempting and easy to just coast through the last weeks of term time, then relax for most of the holiday instead of diligently doing all the work/revision I'm meant to do for the second term! Plus it makes your time at uni seem to go by very quickly when I'd like to appreciate it a bit more.

What do others think?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
Was wondering what current Oxbridge students think about the shorter 8-week terms. Personally I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have 10 week terms with the workload spread out more, longer time to do essays and extracurricular activies, etc... I've found it way too tempting and easy to just coast through the last weeks of term time, then relax for most of the holiday instead of diligently doing all the work/revision I'm meant to do for the second term! Plus it makes your time at uni seem to go by very quickly when I'd like to appreciate it a bit more.

What do others think?
To an extent I agree, the 8 weeks are very intense but somewhere around 6 and a half weeks I give up being interested anymore and skip lectures etc. I get the impression we're supposed to be working hard in the vacations, and so academics would object to the decrease in actual work being done. In reality though I tend to get bored and give up somewhere about 6 weeks in, and then not really feel like doing work during the vacs.
Perhaps it's the non-uniformity of work that gets me most, and is possibly the reason for 5th week blues. In the middle of term I always seem to get a few days where I'm running around like a maniac trying to do three lectures, three supervisions and their work, a couple of badminton matches, a badminton practice, a practical or the work for a practical and go to formal hall or something in a day and it never all happens. It's crazy.

I think I'd keep it short though, because if we made it longer they'd only make us work harder to compensate for the last vacation work time or something! I think if I were able to organise my time more efficently and work not at the last minute then I might not mind the short terms as much. At least I'm not doing as bad as last year when I was doing my work between 1:30am and 4:30am!

Alaric.
Daenerys
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
At least I'm not doing as bad as last year when I was doing my work between 1:30am and 4:30am!

Alaric.
Whoops, I'm guilty of that. Oxford's turned me into a nocturnal insomniac so far, I should hire myself out for psychology students to study!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (542)
66.5%
No (273)
33.5%

Watched Threads