This discussion is closed.
sightoplasm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi guys, could anyone please explain how this UMS thing works, I read on the exam board web sites on what this is and I didn't understand it clearly.
Is it true you can get an overall high mark in UMS i.e out of 90 even though you got a mediocre result in the actual exam i.e out of 60.

how does it work!!!!!!!!!?

Thank you
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sightoplasm)
Hi guys, could anyone please explain how this UMS thing works, I read on the exam board web sites on what this is and I didn't understand it clearly.
Is it true you can get an overall high mark in UMS i.e out of 90 even though you got a mediocre result in the actual exam i.e out of 60.

how does it work!!!!!!!!!?

Thank you
Yes. That's because they compare your raw mark (ie the actual mark you got in the exam) to the marks that everyone else in the country got. If you got the highest mark in the country, even if it was only around 50%, your mark would probably be moderated up to 100% UMS. It's the mark you got relative to everyone else - at least that's the way I always understood it.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
which is the result they use... the UMS or the raw?
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
which is the result they use... the UMS or the raw?

You can only see the UMS marks on your results sheet so universities would use the UMS marks I think.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
You can only see the UMS marks on your results sheet so universities would use the UMS marks I think.
ok, i understand now I think, i always wondered how people got 300/300 lol
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well i got 100/100 UMS on a Psychology exam and I didn't finish a question so there's no way that I could have got a 100/100 raw mark!!
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Yes. That's because they compare your raw mark (ie the actual mark you got in the exam) to the marks that everyone else in the country got. If you got the highest mark in the country, even if it was only around 50%, your mark would probably be moderated up to 100% UMS. It's the mark you got relative to everyone else - at least that's the way I always understood it.
In effect it works as you describe. In theory the exam boards are meant to compare everyone to an abstract standard of what is an A, B etc. But, it doesn't really work like that in practice, largely because of external pressures.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
me confused
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exam boards are meant to look at the standars of last years As and Bs etc and set the mark needed for an A/B according to how the standard of the current year reflects this. It's meant to keep the process fair from year to year (so if everyone in your year is bad the grade boundry for an A shouldnt really be any lower) so whatever year you got you A at a level in, you should be of the same standard as someone who got an A (for example) in that subject in any other year.
sightoplasm
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Exam boards are meant to look at the standars of last years As and Bs etc and set the mark needed for an A/B according to how the standard of the current year reflects this. It's meant to keep the process fair from year to year (so if everyone in your year is bad the grade boundry for an A shouldnt really be any lower) so whatever year you got you A at a level in, you should be of the same standard as someone who got an A (for example) in that subject in any other year.
So for example:
2003: Paper was easy, so grade boundaries are high for instance 90% to get A since many people got 70%+
2004: Paper was difficult, so are grade boundaries lowered so the same amount of people who got an A last year get an A this year?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sightoplasm)
So for example:
2003: Paper was easy, so grade boundaries are high for instance 90% to get A since many people got 70%+
2004: Paper was difficult, so are grade boundaries lowered so the same amount of people who got an A last year get an A this year?
yes.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not necessarily the same amount of people but the same standard of people, I think.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads