The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
WarriorInAWig
inb4 OP is racist, xenophobic, jealous, etc...

The world-class runner Mo Farrah is amazing and talented but he is Somalian by birth. I am pleased he's won, but it's because of his Somalian heritage and genes, nothing British whatsoever, save for coaching.

What do you think?

british traning makes him an british athlete repping gb....
if it wasn't for the british trianing, he'd most probably be chewing khat on some street corner...
marcusfox
Ryan Giggs should have played for England not Wales. And for Manchester United he plays in the position where England have traditionally been lacking.

Ryan Giggs was NEVER eligible to play for England. He is Welsh. His entire family is Welsh. He played for England schoolboys, due to the fact that he went to an English school.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/45_minutes/1306679.stm
well at one point britain says it wants to push out the immigrants-the brits are never thankfull to the immigrants who bring glory for britain and make there flag fly high.
bunty64
if it wasn't for the british trianing, he'd most probably be chewing khat on some street corner...

ahaha.. well why cant a british boy then do it instead of him??
why import a person from a so-called third world country??
bunty64

True.
Why has Britain won more golds than any other European country? It's because of the training structure, all the local clubs and competitions. Farrah moved to Britain when he was around 8 and was brought through this system. In his first national race he was 8th - he couldn't win without coaches and a support team, and after years of the correct competitions and training.

Mo Farrah winning was a British success.
Reply 25
Stratos
All runners are black except for the swedish/norwegian ones.

Lemaitre is what colour?
marcusfox
Ryan Giggs should have played for England not Wales. And for Manchester United he plays in the position where England have traditionally been lacking.

nah that's different, Giggs is white, so he has every right to be British. And, Wales is part of Britain anyway, I don't understand why people consider England, wales and scotland as seperate nations - Britain is small anyway, no point splitting it into 3 countries.
Simplicity
Lol trolling.

He has British nationality, therefore he is British.

ARGH no no no no!!! This is absurd!! You cannot be serious, surely!!!!

He has a British nationality. That's it. How can he be British if he isn't white?
He has chosen to represent Great Britain and holds British nationality, so there is no issue.

Owen Hargreaves has represented England at football despite being Canadian.
Lol half the German national football team would like a word with you.
Don't see what the problem is here.

He has British nationality, having been here like 16/17 years and so is eligable to be selected to run for Britain. He trains here, had his talent spotted here, was developed here. He's spent more of his life here and chooses to continue to run for GB.

If people have a problem with this, then let's start counting the medals that former British people have won for other countries. Such as Fiona Mya, a British woman who got Italian citizenship after marrying an Italian and then competed for them. She won severl gold and silver medals in the long jump at the Olympics and World Championships.

Or why pick out Mo Farah? What about Michael Bingham who won silver in the 400m this week (ahead of British born Martyn Rooney) - he was born in the USA.

The bottom line is, there are numerous ways people can get citizenship of a country/be eligable to compete for a country. I think so long as the athlete is not 'bought' to run for a country (as may be argued in a couple of cases with countries in the Middle East paying people from some African countries to move to their country to run for them), I think it's fine for someone born elsewhere to run for their new 'home' country.
money-makes-friends

He has a British nationality. That's it. How can he be British if he isn't white?

If you'd said English you might, MIGHT, have a point. But British IS a nationality.

I AM British if I am a BRITISH CITIZEN.

Absolutely zero ******* arguments. Thanks.
Reply 32
SatanIsAwesome
Actually, did anybody pay attention to who came second in the 15000? He was a white British guy and it was actually thanks to him that Mo won, he basically tired out all the other racers and then came 2nd.

10,000m? :smile:
taheki
White men can't run fast anyway.. don't know why you're complaining

Christophe Lemaitre
Clubber Lang
technically british i guess but the poitn of running in a national competition is effectivley to show you which 'breed' of person is best and essentially he is african like all the best long distance runners

No, its to show which country has the best athletes. Small difference.
He came to Britain at the age of 10 and has lived here ever since, has nurtured his talent in Britain and considers himself to be British. Remind me why he should be considered Somalian?
your point being?

If Mo Farah was Somalian he wouldn't've been at the Europeans and Chris Thompson (who won silver behind Mo in the 10,000m) would've won...
He won two golds so he's British.
Reply 38
deathbeforeimmortality
He has no problem with representing Britain so what's the problem?

He's not british.
The Cornerstone
:rofl: and you didn't even know this? btw he is a somalilander :awesome:

Sounds like a type of pokemon :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending