Turn on thread page Beta

Greatest Rock Band ever? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    past-nirvana

present-either foo fighters, or afi..or him

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah and busted aren't rock although a lot of people seem to confuse then as being rock star's, i don't like them personally cos i find their lyric's very shallow and out of interest i had a look at tab's for their song's and was shocked how simple they actually are i think they are very good at acting up their song's to make them look a lot more difficult to play.

ReputationRep:
    Past - Radiohead

Present - Radiohead

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana, Foo fighters and Evanescence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Come on I am sure we have some rock fans in this forum. Which is your favourite rock band? (Past and Present)
    erm....... i duno.......*thinking* The Strokes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFL)
    One of mine, too. But they are metal - rock would be a misleading title =P
    I treat metal as a subgenre of rock.

But straightforward plain old rock? My favourite is probably The Who

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetsuo)
    i don't think there is such a thing as a best or worst rock band, because different people value different thing's :lyric's, vocal's, individual instrument's, originality, overall balance of song's. and just beacause a band's member's are highly skilled with instrumment's doesn't mean they are better than a band with minimal skill. im a self taugh guitarist since may 2004 and although i some of my music isn't incredibly complicated i can impress people who i know have been playing for years and they are suprised to find how simple my music actually is, basiccaly what i do is make the most of what the skill i have i also play keyboard , and i like when band's don't just write a song and leave it e.g manson messes around with his song's and has 8 or more version's of some of them, he has to be one of my favourite's, i like dimmu borgir's song metal heart's solo, and cradle of filth although they are not highly skilled their overall sond is pretty good the way it all come's together. oh yeah and i also like children of bodom.that cover's modern stuff. i like a lot of older stuff also like g and r, led zep, t rex, blue oyster cult, jhonny cash, kink's, cream, eric clapton, black sabbath, the nack and more lol

at the moment my favourite song is 74 75 by the connels
    All true but the question is obviously a subjective one, even if at first it looks objective (what is THE best rock band ever...). If a rock band is someone's favourite then, to that person, they are the greatest!

Oh and I hope you learned your lesson about Busted What were you doing thinking they actually play hard stuff!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I treat metal as a subgenre of rock.

But straightforward plain old rock? My favourite is probably The Who
    I like The Who very much.
    I do not treat metal as a subgenre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFL)
    I like The Who very much.
    I do not treat metal as a subgenre.
    Well I treat 'rock' as a very, very general term. Here's my breakdown:

Music
    ------------
    3 types: Classical, Popular, Misc
    -----------

Classical has its little genres like film, symphony, concerto, quartet etc .... and you can classify by date as well like baroque, romantic, etc but I prefer not to do it that way.

Popular breaks into rock, jazz, and a few others

Misc would be stuff like worship music (although some of them would come under popular).

ReputationRep:
    Past - Beatles or Radiohead
    Present - Oasis

ReputationRep:
    past: Beatles or Queen
    Present: Oasis

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell said BUSTED!!!

There just not ROCK!!!!!!! Pop more like!!!!!

What about Metallica or Gun's N' Rose's!

ReputationRep:
    i new it was pretty simple but i didn't know how simple it was. and you continued a bit what i was saying about individual taste, i thought it would be a bit arogant to say "_______" are the greatest rock band ever because that is presuming that every one like's music based on the same principal's as yourself, and i've found people who say "--------" are the greatest rock band are often closed minded to any other music, simmilar to the arrogance that surround's religeon's, hence why there is a huge divide between youth culture's of people who call them selve's goth's, skater's, ned's, punk's. im not sure if i pitty them for their arogance and small mindedness or admire them for how passionate they are about their music lol

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion:

Past: Queen/The Beatles/The Rolling Stones/Nirvana/Guns 'n' Roses/Aerosmith/a lot of other amazing bands.

Present: Placebo/Red Hot Chili Peppers.

ReputationRep:
    greatest rock band = smashing pumpkins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    QUEEN! They'll never die!

yup, i think Queen as welll

ReputationRep:
    Best rock band ever?

Led Zeppelin.

Best rock screamer of all time, best rock guitarist of all time, one of the best drummers of all time and possibly the best rock bassist of all time.

Legends.

Ooh, and my favourite band ever (though I wouldn't strictly call them "rock") are Rage Against The Machine :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crunchie)
    yup, i think Queen as welll
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I hope everyone heard that Busted have "pledged their support to Michael Howard and his party" GAAAH!! Not only are they pretend-rock-actually-thirteen-year-olds, they're also tories! Ptshhh.. could they get any worse? They should have just kept it as a shameful secret.. the same goes for their music!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Well I treat 'rock' as a very, very general term. Here's my breakdown:

Music
    ------------
    3 types: Classical, Popular, Misc
    -----------

Classical has its little genres like film, symphony, concerto, quartet etc .... and you can classify by date as well like baroque, romantic, etc but I prefer not to do it that way.

Popular breaks into rock, jazz, and a few others

Misc would be stuff like worship music (although some of them would come under popular).
    So what would unpopular music be classed as?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.