Turn on thread page Beta

Greatest Rock Band ever? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    its all about radiohead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    radiohead and the white stripes are two of the best bands around these days
    agree about radiohead but white stripes to a lesser extent - the thing is loads of good rock bands that get applauded for their work, write songs which have no point to them, and dont have any direction. Also some lyrics are unintelligible. Coldplay will be around in 20 yrs because of good publicity and nice songs - radiohead too because there is an agenda in some songs

(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Muse seem to be getting better and i could see them in 20yrs doing well. Also placebo arent bad and they have been going since 1996
    as much as i love placebo(seen em 6times yay) they don't have the mainstream appeal/critical recognition i reckon is needed to be 'great'. plus their last three albums have been far too similar, arguably their 2nd is the best.

hmm yeah i guess radiohead could still be, muse have never really appealed-as much as i loved the 1st album the last two haven't realy touched me

oo and jeff buckley could be added to 'great' status, how could i forgot?

ReputationRep:
    thes stooges anyone? thats the most primitive and raw (therefore great) rock ive heard in a long time, it sends the cat mad as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    thes stooges anyone? thats the most primitive and raw (therefore great) rock ive heard in a long time
    nice sig - Mahatma Gandhi on being asked what he thought of western civilisation replied "It would be a good idea" lol

ReputationRep:
    Come on I am sure we have some rock fans in this forum. Which is your favourite rock band? (Past and Present)
    Uhh guys, I am pretty lame at distinguishing between rock/metal etc etc but arent Metallica heavy metal? :confused:
    And what category do Nickelback and 3 Doors Down come in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahwhatevver)
    Uhh guys, I am pretty lame at distinguishing between rock/metal etc etc but arent Metallica heavy metal? :confused:
    rock was the generic term for all genres that originated from the original rock sound, including punk and metal, and grunge of course etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    1st CD i ever bought was Queen Greatest Hits, i treasure it always
    yeah, but the greatest hits, although good, miss loads of queen at their greatest. Has anyone ever listened to their earlier albums, like A Night at the Opera or Queen II? They really are masterpieces, and have tracks like The Prophet's Song and The March of the Black Queen which werent realeased as singles, so werent on the compilation CDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Meat loaf
    i saw him live in november!

Bloody brilliant

ReputationRep:
    aerosmith, nirvana, and nickleback are quite good, i'm not really into rock as much as i was a few years back...but i still love bon jovi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    thes stooges anyone? thats the most primitive and raw (therefore great) rock ive heard in a long time, it sends the cat mad as well
    yeah i love the stooges, Ron Asheton has a brilliant style and sound to his playing. What's ur favorite stooges album, i like funhouse.

Come on I am sure we have some rock fans in this forum. Which is your favourite rock band? (Past and Present)
    Best Past - Led Zeppelin or Queen
    Best Current - Radiohead or The Manics

(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
    3dd and nickleback come under cheesy 'nu'-grunge, i love 3dd but nickleback dont do anything for me, check out pearl jam-the originals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    3dd and nickleback come under cheesy 'nu'-grunge, i love 3dd but nickleback dont do anything for me, check out pearl jam-the originals!
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Soundgarden - Blackhole sun
    Nirvana - Lithium or Heartshaped Box
    RCHP - Scar Tissue, Californication, Otherside
    Rage Against The Machine - RATM. Renegade
    Sonic Youth - Dirty
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, Siamese Dream

ReputationRep:
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Soundgarden - Blackhole sun
    Nirvana - Lithium or Heartshaped Box
    RCHP - Scar Tissue, Californication, Otherside
    Rage Against The Machine - RATM. Renegade
    Sonic Youth - Dirty
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, Siamese Dream
    Pearl Jam - Alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Pearl Jam - Alive
    agreed - hey u had a right old tussle with aliel didnt you

ReputationRep:
    agreed - hey u had a right old tussle with aliel didnt you
    twice/ three times, she just wants to get me to agree with third way by twisting words. oh yeah and i backed u against her

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not claiming that they're the best band ever, Dream Theater are awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    twice/ three times, she just wants to get me to agree with third way by twisting words. oh yeah and i backed u against her
    Thanks for the backing but I think Matt the Catt was the truly evil one - aliel seems more civil and reasoned than him - he was beligerent

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the backing but I think Matt the Catt was the truly evil one - aliel seems more civil and reasoned than him - he was beligerent
    lol and you seem too eloquent for words

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2004
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.