Very stupid questions about hand luggage Watch

lillyann92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, I am flying for the first time tommorow and I have some questions about hand luggage, I know these probably sound really stupid but any help is appreciated.

1) Can you take electrical plugs such as chargers in your hand luggage?

2) Can you take food in your hand luggage?

3) Is there a weight limit for hand luggage?

Before anybody says check the website, I have and these are things I can't find out : ).
TheSingingMute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1) Chargers/plugs yes.
2) Only what you buy passed security (can't bring food/drinks from home for the plane)
3) Depends on the airline, most of the time there's only a size limit.
liaf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Says here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...avel/DG_176922
MM1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lillyann92)
Ok, I am flying for the first time tommorow and I have some questions about hand luggage, I know these probably sound really stupid but any help is appreciated.

Before anybody says check the website, I have and these are things I can't find out : ).
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Depends on the airline normally it varies from 5 to 8kg (Should say on your e-ticket or itinerary)
'non-possession'
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1) yes
2) food allowed but no liquids more than 100ml
3) up to 10kg size of 20x40x55 (sth similar like this)
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For 2 as well, you're only allowed certain things.. but anything they sell in the shops past passport control should be okay. No alcohol or anything. And usually no nuts incase people have allergies on the plane.
joy12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1. Yes
2. You are allowed, but I would say refrain from carrying food
3. Yes, max 8 kg there is also a size limit (They can be very strict regarding this) Depends on the airline tbh
Freerider101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They normally have a cage in the airport to check your hand luggage fits. To be honest though if it doesn't fit in the over head compartments you can just stick it under the seat in front of you. Also that way if you need something in flight you don't have to keep getting out of your seat.
Age_of_Innocence
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Check with your airline about the weight limit, more prudent is the size limit, and the maximum dimensions. Again, check with your airline, but generally in my experience the weight limit is 10Kg and the dimensions a max length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and a depth of 25 cm.
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

1- Yes
2 -Yes, as long as its not yoghurts or goopy stuff
3 - Ryanair and most others; 10kg, Aer Lingus and Thomas Cook; 5kg.

It usually does say on the website, if you can't find it you didn't look hard enough.
Hello Laura!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who are you flying with? If it's Ryanair they are VERY picky about hand luggage size (going out is always worse then coming back for some reason!). Once I had to wear my PJ's over my clothes to allow enough room for my rucksack to be shoved into the cage thing to prove it wasn't too big. V annoying.

Other airlines aren't as crap as that. I was flying with Continental Airlines recently and they allow up to 18kg hand luggage as well as another personal item (such as a handbag or laptop).

Budget airlines sometimes wont let you take your hand luggage as well as your handbag on the plane unless one will fit inside the other. They don't even like if you are carrying magazines etc purchased once you are through security!

Same flight as the PJ incident a man wasn't allowed to take his just purchased bottle of whiskey on the flight unless he checked it in (at a cost of £30!) as it wouldn't fit in his bag. So he cracked it open and had a massive glug before binning it.

But you are allowed electrical items and food in your hand luggage.
unknownrebalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

1) yes
2) yes (I think it may have to be packaged though. I always bring snacks in my hand luggage but always bought food/snacks never food from home). You have to wait until you've gone through departures until you can buy drinks as you can only bring in liquids of up to 100ml... No aerosols! Creams and gels are counted as liquids!
3) It depends on the airline. British airways say it's OK as long as you can put it in the hold without help. However, I heard that Virgin weigh hand luggage and I know that the low cost airlines such as Monarch weight hand luggage....
Check your hand luggage size and the amount of peices you can bring through!! They are getting strict theses days especially if you depart from north terminal at Gatwick! They check the size before you go through to departures and loads of people get stopped and sent to put their hand luggage through and they have to pay £40 (on BA) to send it through...South Terminal (Gatwick) didn't have the checks last time I went though (only a week before I used the North Terminal) but be careful!
Oh and check if you're allowed 2 peices of hand luggage (the will be different sizes) I know you can for BA.

I hope that helps
Enjoy your holiday
lillyann92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks people, it is with easyjet if that helps. : )
Princess Bubbles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1)Yes
2)Yes but no liquids above 100ml.
3) Up to 10kg usually but depends on the airline. Also you have to be able to lift it above your head (and into the luggage bit above the seats) without help.
MM1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks people, it is with easyjet if that helps. : )
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads