The Student Room Group

sexuality/homophobia

any one had homophobic problems?harrassment?or nething?wen uv come out? how bad?

im not gay as such. bi. i told my bf before i started darting him but recently hes been getting really paranoid that im getting off with women behind his back. just cos ur bi doesnt mean ur more likely to cheat?! but all this fuss hes making...n i wanna tell my prnts cos i feel bad hiding it n lying wen they ask me but theyr really homophobic. my sister came out n they threw her out of the house n theyr always arguing n taking the piss outa gays/lesbiens. n saying that trans r sick!
wat does it matter wat ur sexual preferance is?! its just like...choosin white chocolate over milk..? (ok bad example! but u get wat im sayin..?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
RiOt GiRl
i told my bf before i started darting him but recently hes been getting really paranoid that im getting off with women behind his back.

What a loser! I'd be happy.
Some people in the world are pretty, hmm, backwards. Sad but the current way of things.

I prefer to stand up and against things I don't like. I try to change things.

I don't let problems lie and get left unnoticed. I don't let ignorance or prejudice win because it is going unchallenged.

Sadly, prejudice does exist and you will probably encounter problems. When you feel comfortable and secure with yourself, your circumstances and situations - when the risks are acceptable and there is no fear - absolutely, let anyone who wants to know and has a good reason, know.
Reply 3
Our school is so bad at being homophobic, which is funny at timies becuase most of them act gay at times anyway. I think its wrong but this is a free, liberal society so its not my problem.
Reply 4
****! I'd usually suggest being open with your parents, but by the sound of it, that may not be the best idea :eek:
Do you actually need to tell them? If they are, as they sound, very set in their ways then telling them may only serve to disrupt your relationship with your parents. I'd keep it a secret until you can afford to move out!
As for your boyfriend, tell him if he doesn't trust you (unless he has a reason not to?), then he can stick it somewhere else..
Reply 5
There seems to be this stick against the boyfriend, but to be honest I do understand why he would be a bit paranoid. But on the otherhand you don't need to proove to him that you won't be unfaithful - I feel it's the same situation as if you were straight, there's the same element of trust.

Talk to him, try go get it sorted - if he cares for you then he'll trust you, and reversing roles, you should also know that he will be a bit paranoid, but just try to assure him and I'm sure it'll be okay.

However from what you've said about your parents it's a bit of a mixed bag I reckon - they seem a bit harsh about different sexual preferences, but I wouldn't only really tell them if you need to. If it's getting to you perhaps speak to whoever's a bit calmer maybe.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Maybe he just feels insucure cos well he cant provide you with everything to fullfill your needs
Reply 7
sayed_samed
Our school is so bad at being homophobic, which is funny at timies becuase most of them act gay at times anyway. I think its wrong but this is a free, liberal society so its not my problem.

but WHY is it wrong???
i dont get why it matters....

also- i get why my bf is bein paranoid- but i did tell him BEFORE we started going out. n iv not given him reason to distrust me so...? :confused:

im sorry guys. im just so pissed off today. everything is majorly going wrong. i hvnt s/hed in ages (as i asked for advice b4) n im now seeing a shrink and art therapist (as advised) but nothings working n my mates just p!ssd off n left me cos she a ****!ng bitch!
what does s/ hed mean?

i actually feel sorry 4 ur bf (no offence).i can c where hes comin from-is it the first time hes bin out with a bisexual?as lots of ppl have sed he prob feels like he cant meet ur needs

maybe u both need a long chat
Reply 9
my girlfriend gets a lot of abuse from the younger students! (she's a 6th former) and something has to be done about it grr..

luckily i havent had anything really.. people have been pretty cool with me *shrugs* oh except for my gran who said gay people are disgusting and shouldnt kiss in public.. i guess i overreacted a bit by throwing the tv remote at her though lol
Reply 10
bubbalicious_28
what does s/ hed mean?

self harmed
Reply 11
Don't be a fool and self-harm.

Tell your boyfriend to get a clue. Phew!
Reply 12
LOL i said i hvnt in ages. weird person :P
Reply 13
I was saying it as a reflective statement. You need to ditch this bloke if he's ruining your life! You really have a touch RiOt GiRl.
Reply 14
Jonny B? That dog looks freaky with the flashing afro!
Reply 15
homophobia only exists because of supermarket sweep.
Reply 16
i remember that, i miss it
BRING IT BACK
silence
homophobia only exists because of supermarket sweep.

i loved loved loved supermarket sweep!! with the giant inflatable and such, brilliant!!

BUt i do think that homophobia seems to be more common..i have a lot of "friends" who are homophobes, but i also have a lot of gay friends, and they mix!!

i think people dont mind "gays" (sorry) thats appalling.

I think people dont mind homosexuals, when they know them...well, thats my opinion.

ill stop talkin now.
Reply 18
the bif inflatable bananna mmmm oh the fanticies *shouldnt of said that lol*
Reply 19
Hrrrrrr! I'll try to say as little as possible beacause ppl. who have a big problem with gays and lesbians just get my blood boiling. Am not gay at all yet I love homosexuals cos of all the ones I've met so far have been amazing people! I can not understand it, I just can't get it through my head how the f*** someone's sexuality or what they do in the bedroom with another person/people affect the ''society'' or anyone. As far as am concerned this is all due to those bloody religious books that people hammer in their heads everyday. (Okey its starting - the blood boiling! Am off)