Turn on thread page Beta

Cat vision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain that i once read that preditors such as large cats can't see colour, if this is true, is this trait present in domestic cats or have they aquired this ability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    I'm almost certain that i once read that preditors such as large cats can't see colour, if this is true, is this trait present in domestic cats or have they aquired this ability?
    I don't think any cats can see colour as they lack the rods or cones (I can't remember which one it is) cats and dogs just see things as luminance (i.e greyscale).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    that's interesting - i thought they could. I knew someone who couldn't see in colour. Did you know some people can't? It's some form of colour blindness. Our teacher had to always write in black on the white board otherwise he couldn't see anything

weird :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    that's interesting - i thought they could. I knew someone who couldn't see in colour. Did you know some people can't? It's some form of colour blindness. Our teacher had to always write in black on the white board otherwise he couldn't see anything

weird :confused:
    I knew a boy who was colourblind when i was in the infants.....i dont remember anything about the blackboard though.....although, i don't think he could read either - he had some kind of learning disability i think...

ReputationRep:
    i read somewhere that dogs do actually see some colour, i think that it is red that they cannot see, they are like some colour blind people, who see things as yellow to blue and black&white

ReputationRep:
    I think they can see some colours. This thread probably gives some answers (it's about dogs but I think cats were discussed as well).

As for colourblindness, there are different types I think. The most common form is red/green colourblindness - you can't tell the difference between red and green (because you're missing a pigment in your eyes). But I assume total colourblindness occurs as well; perhaps your teacher was lacking cones (or iodopsin) altogether?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I think they can see some colours. This thread probably gives some answers (it's about dogs but I think cats were discussed as well).

As for colourblindness, there are different types I think. The most common form is red/green colourblindness - you can't tell the difference between red and green (because you're missing a pigment in your eyes). But I assume total colourblindness occurs as well; perhaps your teacher was lacking cones (or iodopsin) altogether?
    i remember an old teacher of mine telling the story about how whenever her husband was driving, she had to let him know if the traffic lights were red/green.

ReputationRep:
    when i was younger (don't ask why) i was swinging on the ropes in the gym at school at the very top and just let go. I missed the mat and craked my skull and was knocked out for a bit apparently. But after i coulnd't see green! It was like it up unti a few year ago when i suddenly regained te ability.

my doctor said in my case it was a neural thing, but otherwise men are more likely to be clourblind (red/green) cos they don't have two X chromosomes... i tell you, reading tube maps was a nightmare lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absoultion)
    i remember an old teacher of mine telling the story about how whenever her husband was driving, she had to let him know if the traffic lights were red/green.
    isnt that illegal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    isnt that illegal?
    no. u have to let the DVLA know about it as it's classed as a disablity, but you an still drive cos you can tell when the colours change. its weird. My boyfs dad is colourblind and he still drives....

*saddo x-files trivia - mulder was colourblind too!*... I'll get my coat shall i lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    *saddo x-files trivia - mulder was colourblind too!*... I'll get my coat shall i lol
    John Doe is also totally colour blind, altouhg he can see some stuff in colour that he has seen before becoming an amnesiac

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.