Are criminals punished harshly enough? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sasha D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
In my opinion, most aren't, they get a free ride in prison and although the situation changes when they are released, the endless opurtunities for attributes such as education can't be denied - also, are many crimes such as murder punished accordingly? Should we stick to the old rule of 'a life for a life' or are the members of this forum more inclined to give 2nd chances?
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sasha D)
In my opinion, most aren't, they get a free ride in prison and although the situation changes when they are released, the endless opurtunities for attributes such as education can't be denied - also, are many crimes such as murder punished accordingly? Should we stick to the old rule of 'a life for a life' or are the members of this forum more inclined to give 2nd chances?
gosh.....do we have to discuss something so "g.c.s.e R.E" ?

"eye for an eye, tooth 4 a tooth" etc.
Sasha D
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
gosh.....do we have to discuss something so "g.c.s.e R.E" ?

"eye for an eye, tooth 4 a tooth" etc.
No you dont have to but i just saw a comment on another thread and i just wondered how opions had changed
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my opinion, most aren't, they get a free ride in prison and although the situation changes when they are released, the endless opurtunities for attributes such as education can't be denied
i wouldn't want to deny it.

surely education in prisons is a good thing, for both the society and the prisoner?
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No you dont have to but i just saw a comment on another thread and i just wondered how opions had changed
fair enough.

i think killin is a bit drastic.

but it depends - a person who has killed many, fair enough, murder in my view is fair.
a person who killed 1, mayb with hlaf a fair reason, and has truly felt sorry - no, it wud b stupid to kill him.

however, i think the best answer is to make prisons more of a dump, that wud be more justifiable. also, make them do more community service/labour while they r in prison. make em useful while they waste their years in their.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about the innocent people who would be executed as a result?
Sasha D
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
fair enough.
but it depends - a person who has killed many, fair enough, murder in my view is fair.
a person who killed 1, mayb with hlaf a fair reason, and has truly felt sorry - no, it wud b stupid to kill him.
Is there half a fair reason 4 killing someone though?Other than what the killer thinks is a reason? What if 1 person had killed many with a reason and was very sorry...but another had killed just 1 person with no reason and wasn't @ all sorry? Would the one with the 'highest tally' still be killed?
Sasha D
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
What about the innocent people who would be executed as a result?
Exaclty, but by harsher punishment, i don't necesarily mean death
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Exaclty, but by harsher punishment, i don't necesarily mean death
Surely rehabilitation is more important than retrubution though?
Sasha D
Rep:
?
I know what you mean about the positive effects on society but punishment has to be harsh enough otherwise there would be no deterrant of crime. Plus it depends on whether society really would benefit from the likes of a serial rapist back amongst them, for example.

What about the victims' families? eg If someone in your family had been murdered(god forbid)wouldn't you want the killer punished? Many, myself included would want justice.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about the victims' families? eg If someone in your family had been murdered(god forbid)wouldn't you want the killer punished? Many, myself included would want justice.
The victims' families should have no say. The justice system isn't based on abating their wish for revenge.
Sasha D
Rep:
?
The victims' families should have no say. The justice system isn't based on abating their wish for revenge.
It's not a wish for revenge....revenge and justice are two different things. Like i said, if someone in your family had been affected badly by a crime, wouldn't you want the criminal punished?
Also, i'm not implying that the victims' families should 'have a say' but surely a thought has to be given to them.
How can people live a crime free life if they see criminals walking free?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's not a wish for revenge....revenge and justice are two different things. Like i said, if someone in your family had been affected badly by a crime, wouldn't you want the criminal punished?
Also, i'm not implying that the victims' families should 'have a say' but surely a thought has to be given to them.
How can people live a crime free life if they see criminals walking free?
If someone in my family was affected by crime, I'd hope that the law's due process would go into force, in the same way that I'd hope would happen in any other case.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I think captial punishment is a little harsh, and i do agree that education is good on both the prisoner and society for later release, but maybe they should be deprived of other things more harshly?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
discussed this is an topic the other day i think but i couldn't agree more with kildare.

The advancment and sophistication of a society is often guaged by the way we treat our prisoners. Where would we be if we go around killing or lopping limbs off offenders! It just would not work in the society we live in here in the UK.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can never reedem something through revenge. (But it helps)
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
but by killing them, aren't we as being as bad as them?
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know what you mean about the positive effects on society but punishment has to be harsh enough otherwise there would be no deterrant of crime.
That is wrong...you can be executed in some US states, the murder/rape etc rates still remain high.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
crimminals describes many people guilty of many different things, certainly prison is harsh enough for people who dogde tax, nicked tvs to fund the drugs habit, is what u are asking more to do with serious crime like rap/murder?
Sasha D
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
That is wrong...you can be executed in some US states, the murder/rape etc rates still remain high.
I know, i've seen the stats, i never said that I wanted capitol punishment back, i just think that prisoners shouldn't b given the amount of luxuries that they have.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads