This discussion is closed.
Rob24601
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My school, friends and family are all encouraging me to apply to Oxbridge next year, and I would greatly love to gain a place there. However one thing that worries me is that being from Liverpool, a city with a reputation, I may not fit in there or may have trouble making friends with people who have considerably different backgrounds to myself. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this were, do the students from different backgrounds integrate well at oxbridge? do the different social groups keep themselves apart?
I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this.
Thanx, Rob
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rob24601)
My school, friends and family are all encouraging me to apply to Oxbridge next year, and I would greatly love to gain a place there. However one thing that worries me is that being from Liverpool, a city with a reputation, I may not fit in there or may have trouble making friends with people who have considerably different backgrounds to myself. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this were, do the students from different backgrounds integrate well at oxbridge? do the different social groups keep themselves apart?
I can only speak for cam but indeed yes of course you will fit in, generally certainly in my college nearly everyone gets along and social groups cross class boundaries. Probably because most people will recognise people as individuals and not stereotypes and see that how much money your parents earn is of very little significance to who you are! As far as I can tell it's the properly posh that keep themselves seperate, everyone else gets on fine. I mean ther might be a few jokes about scousers, but I'd expect everyone to give as many back about southern fairies etc, ultimately their meaning less.
I think if you are worried about it then making sure you choose a college that is a political/social climate that suits you is important. For example, not choosing Kings if you're a staunch right wing tory! If you choose the right college it's very hard to go wrong!

Personally I couldn't care less if you're from Liverpool, preston, leeds, london, frankfurt or timbuktu. Someone from Liverpool I know here organised a trip to alton towers after exams last year for my year, did all the tickets, the coach and everything. He seems to fit in fine, was a wicked day out, why would anyone have anything against Liverpudlians?

Alaric.
Blush Babe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanx, Rob
You're are from LIVERPOOL (still making you english) and you're worried that you won't FIT IN?!?! I'm from the middle east and I'm thinking of going to Oxford or a similar uni for crying out loud!!!Are you saying that if YOU don't fit in then people are going to eat me alive?!?

BB
Atli
Report 16 years ago
Anyone who is bright enough to get in should be able to see past such ultimately meaningless differences. There are the exceptions, but, for example, I'm in Christ Church, of great renown for being a public-schoolboy haven (which it isn't), and I don't think I know of any problems 'fitting in'. In fact, this stems from a huge misconception many have of Oxbridge.
Oh, and on the subject of the 'really posh', in my experience it isn't actually the truly 'posh' people who stay apart — if you heard me, I suspect you'd think I was 'relly posh'. It's rather the 'new', or petit-bourgeois — dare I say 'nouveaux-riche'? — who are most cliquey.
But that's just an observation based on a small group I've seen...

A.
Atli
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Blush Babe)
You're are from LIVERPOOL (still making you english) and you're worried that you won't FIT IN?!?! I'm from the middle east and I'm thinking of going to Oxford or a similar uni for crying out loud!!!Are you saying that if YOU don't fit in then people are going to eat me alive?!?
I suspect you'll find that the (outdated) class prejudices that some have, propagated by people at all levels, with some of the assumptions that the English therefore make, make it harder for many English to feel they'll 'fit in' than for international students — particularly those who have grown up in a properly multicultural and multiethnic environment. (Come il sottoscritto.)

Atli.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanx, Rob
I'm sure you'll be fine. I met some Liverpudlians at my interviews and they were getting on with the southerners etc. just fine.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
I'm sure you'll be fine. I met some Liverpudlians at my interviews and they were getting on with the southerners etc. just fine.
but the accent!!!! (J/K)
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
but the accent!!!! (J/K)
Yes, their accent is very different but I was talking to a student at Ox and asked him the same question because I have a very northern accent. He said after a few weeks everyone starts to speak in a similar accent on purpose just so that they can all understand each other.
Atli
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Yes, their accent is very different but I was talking to a student at Ox and asked him the same question because I have a very northern accent. He said after a few weeks everyone starts to speak in a similar accent on purpose just so that they can all understand each other.
In my experience, that's crap. Perhaps one gets used to various accents, but I think there;s little change in people's accents — where would they gravitate to? Cockney? Scouse? Scots? Posh? There's too much variety!

A.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Atli)
In my experience, that's crap. Perhaps one gets used to various accents, but I think there;s little change in people's accents — where would they gravitate to? Cockney? Scouse? Scots? Posh? There's too much variety!

A.
Well the person I was speaking to said most of them started to speak in a ' BBC accent' . I'm just saying what the person told me, I don't know much more because I haven't studied there.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry about not fitting in - I'm part of an ethnic minority and at first I was a bit apprehensive about applying to Oxbridge. However, my interview experience completely dispelled any worries I had as everyone was completely lovely and welcoming! So just go for it and apply (I'm glad I did!)
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Well the person I was speaking to said most of them started to speak in a ' BBC accent' . I'm just saying what the person told me, I don't know much more because I haven't studied there.
hi lucy, could u reply to my last few PM's m8, please?
scaryboots
Report 16 years ago
Leaving social groups and class (although i do have a tendency to say 'innit' occasionally and swore considerable more than anyone els eI met while interviewing) aside for a second, am i completely wrong in assuming there's not a strong goth/rock/alternative contingent in Oxford?
I'm guessing this cos I didn't see any, but of course they could have been hiding under stones or something.

Also, are we expected to work all the time? The eight-week term thing started me wondering how much cramming they'd have to do to get that much work into a term.

I got an offer from oxford for physics, and am unsure whether or not to accept. The alternatives are UCL and the usual other places.
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Rob24601 - What subject are you thinking of doing?
Rob24601
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Oh geography is what im thinking of applying for
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scaryboots)
Leaving social groups and class (although i do have a tendency to say 'innit' occasionally and swore considerable more than anyone els eI met while interviewing) aside for a second, am i completely wrong in assuming there's not a strong goth/rock/alternative contingent in Oxford?
I'm guessing this cos I didn't see any, but of course they could have been hiding under stones or something.

Also, are we expected to work all the time? The eight-week term thing started me wondering how much cramming they'd have to do to get that much work into a term.

I got an offer from oxford for physics, and am unsure whether or not to accept. The alternatives are UCL and the usual other places.
Go to Oxford, you will not regret it!!
fayzd
Report 16 years ago

Well I went to see Amen at the zodiac in Oxford.

I'll be going to oxford next year, and i'm hoping there will be some weird looking people there, other than myself. In my experience, no matter how small the town is, you'll always find some interesting people....
What college do you have an offer from?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fayzd)
Well I went to see amen at the zodiac in Oxford.
I'll be going to oxford next year, and i'm hoping there will be some weird looking people there, other than myself. In my experience, no matter how small the town is, you'll always find some interesting people....
lol I've lived in Oxford all my life and I can confirm that there are plenty of weird-looking people about.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm guessing this cos I didn't see any, but of course they could have been hiding under stones or something..
Look at http://www.clubintrusion.com/ and
http://www.netgoth.org.uk/gothmap/lo...oc=Oxfordshire

People you contact thru those sites might be able to tell you about the Oxford goth community.

Also, are we expected to work all the time? The eight-week term thing started me wondering how much cramming they'd have to do to get that much work into a term..
It's meant to be a work hard/play hard thing. As well, you're meant to do some of the work in the ridiculously long holidays, NOT all during term.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by redcat)
Look at http://www.clubintrusion.com/ and
http://www.netgoth.org.uk/gothmap/lo...oc=Oxfordshire

People you contact thru those sites might be able to tell you about the Oxford goth community.

It's meant to be a work hard/play hard thing. As well, you're meant to do some of the work in the ridiculously long holidays, NOT all during term.
correct.

btw: oxford goth community? lol....i doubt u will find any goths at oxford university.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads