This discussion is closed.
mark_pb
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scaryboots)
Leaving social groups and class (although i do have a tendency to say 'innit' occasionally and swore considerable more than anyone els eI met while interviewing) aside for a second, am i completely wrong in assuming there's not a strong goth/rock/alternative contingent in Oxford?
I'm guessing this cos I didn't see any, but of course they could have been hiding under stones or something.

Also, are we expected to work all the time? The eight-week term thing started me wondering how much cramming they'd have to do to get that much work into a term.

I got an offer from oxford for physics, and am unsure whether or not to accept. The alternatives are UCL and the usual other places.
Quite a few 'alternative' music types but in four terms at Oxford I cannot recall seeing a single goth student aprt from at fancy dress events. Having said that the gowns for the formal stuff would probably appeal to anyone goth inclined.

You'll accept. There are very few people who turn down an Oxbridge place. Those that do probably wonder forever.
scaryboots
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
btw: oxford goth community? lol....i doubt u will find any goths at oxford university.
Exactly. Well, there'll be one if I go. But why not?

I have no theories. According to what I gleaned from other peopel's sociology coursework, Goth and other subcultures are composed of people who feel rejected by the mainstream. I suppose we can extend that to their rejection of the mainstream's values, and thus the eliteness of Ox doesn't really appeal.

On the other hand most of the goths i know are thick.

Fazyd: amen played the zodiac? cool. I saw them at the academy. At least i believe they were there, i think I saw some of casey's hair flying over some tall *******'s head at some point.

I got an offer from St Catz. Big pretty buildings make me feel I'm vandalising them by existing near them, so I didn't apply.

Work in the holidays is ugh.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Atli)
Anyone who is bright enough to get in should be able to see past such ultimately meaningless differences. There are the exceptions, but, for example, I'm in Christ Church, of great renown for being a public-schoolboy haven (which it isn't), and I don't think I know of any problems 'fitting in'. In fact, this stems from a huge misconception many have of Oxbridge.
Oh, and on the subject of the 'really posh', in my experience it isn't actually the truly 'posh' people who stay apart — if you heard me, I suspect you'd think I was 'relly posh'. It's rather the 'new', or petit-bourgeois — dare I say 'nouveaux-riche'? — who are most cliquey.
But that's just an observation based on a small group I've seen...

A.
The only place ive heard of where someone really felt out of place due to public school rah rah attitudes was one of the inner durham colleges, but i cant remember which. might have had castle in the name(or been near a castle)
J
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mark_pb)
Quite a few 'alternative' music types but in four terms at Oxford I cannot recall seeing a single goth student aprt from at fancy dress events. Having said that the gowns for the formal stuff would probably appeal to anyone goth inclined.

You'll accept. There are very few people who turn down an Oxbridge place. Those that do probably wonder forever.
You don't see goths in the daytime. Thats why they're goths.
J
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly. Well, there'll be one if I go.
Cat on my corridor is a goth, and there's a girl on the floor above who is as well. I dunno, maybe it's just a Hilda's thing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rob24601)
My school, friends and family are all encouraging me to apply to Oxbridge next year, and I would greatly love to gain a place there. However one thing that worries me is that being from Liverpool, a city with a reputation, I may not fit in there or may have trouble making friends with people who have considerably different backgrounds to myself. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this were, do the students from different backgrounds integrate well at oxbridge? do the different social groups keep themselves apart?
I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this.
Thanx, Rob
Im sure you would! I have a good friend at a college in Oxford, and i went to a birthday party once he was having in his (massive) college room. The people who came were the most diverse set of people ever! There was the obligatory tweed suit man, and a cool guy from Hull ( it think it was), and all sorts inbetween. But everyone accepts everyone becasue everyones different.

Try to choose a college where there is a good state school/punlic school mix, this ensures diversity. Im from state comp school, and am very much looking forward to meeting new people at Cambridge from all walks of life!
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
Exactly. Well, there'll be one if I go. But why not?

I have no theories. According to what I gleaned from other peopel's sociology coursework, Goth and other subcultures are composed of people who feel rejected by the mainstream. I suppose we can extend that to their rejection of the mainstream's values, and thus the eliteness of Ox doesn't really appeal.

On the other hand most of the goths i know are thick.

Fazyd: amen played the zodiac? cool. I saw them at the academy. At least i believe they were there, i think I saw some of casey's hair flying over some tall *******'s head at some point.
There is a realy good alternative music scene in oxford (i live 10 minutes away). I cant say whether there are many goths at oxford uni, youll have to find out, but there is certainly a big scene around oxford. Visit the Zodiac which tends to have some very good bands and ur sure to find like minded people.

I really wouldnt worry to much it, youll find people whereever you go, as long as your as open minded as the people youd like to meet.

Also, bare in mind that everybody changes, and you may not be part of the goth scene forever. You may regret giving up the chance to have a first class education later just because of the feelings you may have now. Its ur future, dont feel you have to conform to any one theory!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads