This discussion is closed.
Fido
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm applying to a postgraduate course in Cambridge, and putting St Catherine's (Catz) as a first choice in my application (after extensive research).. I think it is what I want.. but I've noticed that there are almost no posts in this forum on this college...

Could anyone that's a St. Catherine's member (or anyone that knows Catz well) give me an insider's view? Is it a good decision? or are there any things that I should know about Catz, in terms of accommodation, community or anything else?? Should I chose another college??

I have to submit my application today, so I'd appreciate if you reply today!!

Thanks everyone!!!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
I'm applying to a postgraduate course in Cambridge, and putting St Catherine's (Catz) as a first choice in my application (after extensive research).. I think it is what I want.. but I've noticed that there are almost no posts in this forum on this college...

Could anyone that's a St. Catherine's member (or anyone that knows Catz well) give me an insider's view? Is it a good decision? or are there any things that I should know about Catz, in terms of accommodation, community or anything else?? Should I chose another college??

I have to submit my application today, so I'd appreciate if you reply today!!

Thanks everyone!!!
i had a look around and i didnt really like the place, a few of the buildings were kinda ugly, that said this is all completly objective-if you feel it has what you want then go for it!
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
What course are you applying for?

This was the advice I was given by my thesis supervisor, who was himself at Emmanuel:

A college along the Backs is good;
go for an old college, otherwise it will be like New College (not Oxford, but Uni. of New South Wales, where I did my undergrad);
Magdalene is offensive (please don't flame me, anyone there... it's just what I was told);
Trinity is where the royals go;
Kings is beautiful but poor;
Peterhouse is creepy.

I was going for Emmanuel before I spoke to him, but, strangely enough, he didn't particularly recommend it. He said he only went there because he got an Emma scholarship.

In the end, I settled on St. John's as my first preference, which was relatively easy to get into, probably because it's even poorer than Kings, though I only found out after I applied. Sometimes, I think I should have applied to Trinity, but money isn't everything, and I don't regret accepting St. John's, though I haven't actually arrived there yet.

So, I suppose I would recommend St. John's as a college easy to get into, though, from what I've been told, it may be quite expensive.
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I applied to St Cats and got an offer. My reasons for choosing it were a bit different from the ones ive read here. I'm not particularly bothered about it being rich or old (although its not exactly new or poor), I just liked the atmosphere there, everyone I met was friendly, It's quite close to the department (engineering).

So really it depends on what you're looking for in a college.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by figgetyfig)
Well I applied to St Cats and got an offer. My reasons for choosing it were a bit different from the ones ive read here. I'm not particularly bothered about it being rich or old (although its not exactly new or poor), I just liked the atmosphere there, everyone I met was friendly, It's quite close to the department (engineering).
Well... my supervisor was very serious about choosing an 'old' college, so I rather took that part of his advice to heart. However, I asked for his advice again when I had to put down some preferences for accommodation, and he advised my to choose Merton Hall, which is attached to the School of Pythagoras, and the main criterion again seemed to be age. However, the description of this place says:

Extraordinary and lovely 16th century wood-framed building with lots of charm and character. 3 floors with an eccentric layout. Sloping floors, exposed beams, tortuous stairs. CAN BE DRAUGHTY IN WINTER. Some carpets, decor and furnishings have seen better days. Sound-proofing not brilliant. Generally low ceilings, but very low and sloping in the attic rooms.

and I thought to myself, "you must be crazy", though I didn't actually say it to him. I mean, I'm all for old and charming, but I draw the line at 16th C and draughty! No way I'm picking Merton Hall, despite what my supervisor said. I thought this was a slight lapse in judgement on his part, though he is generally very reliable.

I should have mentioned distance, too. I chose St. John's partly because it was the one of the closest of the old colleges to the West Cambridge site, where I will be working. In fact, when I received my offer, I discovered that St. John's had graduate hostels on Madingley Road, roughly a third of the way to the West Cambridge site, which was an extra bonus.
Fido
Thanks for the replies everyone..

My course is in the Judge Institute of Management (next to the Engineering dept.).. so I understand that Catz is close to it (that was one factor for chosing it).

Being old too (1473) was another.

I noticed from the photos that it's a bit ugly from the outside, but if you're going to be IN the college most of the time, you wouldn't be annoyed by that (pity for the people in Corpus, Queen's and King's.. as they are faced with Catz ugly buildings all the time from their colleges' windows!! But this is just how I read the map!).

Emma is a bit far for me, and next to the Bus station (I thought it'd be noisy!)

Radgasty... Are we talking about the same Uni?? I don't recall a college called "Merton Hall" in Cambridge!! I even checked the prospectus again!! Is this a nickname???

So far.. I think I'd stick with Catz... appreciate any more 'insiders' comments though!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A girl from my old school went there this year to do law, she has just dropped out But I really don't think that was down to Catz - IMHO she should NEVER have gotten into Cambridge anyway.
Fido
(Original post by Sazzle)
A girl from my old school went there this year to do law, she has just dropped out But I really don't think that was down to Catz - IMHO she should NEVER have gotten into Cambridge anyway.
well... thanks for the encouragement Sazzle ;-)
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
well... thanks for the encouragement Sazzle ;-)
Lol - I REALLY don't think it was Catz that was here problem, but unfortunately that was my only experience of the place!
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
jeremy paxman went there....dont think this will affect your decision but thought id mention it anyway
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
Radgasty... Are we talking about the same Uni?? I don't recall a college called "Merton Hall" in Cambridge!! I even checked the prospectus again!! Is this a nickname???
LOL... I must not have made myself clear. Merton Hall is one of the buildings of St. John's College in Cambridge, adjoining the School of Pythagoras. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it belonged to Merton College at Oxford once upon a time, and I suppose that's why it's called Merton Hall.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Well maybe you should keep your humble opinions to yourself Sarah. Some people know exactly who you're talking about and I don't think she deserves that. She just wasn't happy in Cambridge. Obviously the admissions tutors thought she did deserve a place. You shouldn't be bitter because you were rejected the first time.
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Well maybe you should keep your humble opinions to yourself Sarah. Some people know exactly who you're talking about and I don't think she deserves that. She just wasn't happy in Cambridge. Obviously the admissions tutors thought she did deserve a place. You shouldn't be bitter because you were rejected the first time.
I was rejected as the admissions tutors felt I wasn't suited to my subject - they were right, that was the only negative comment on my feedback - I'm not bitter at all, it was the best thing that could ever have happened to me.

I apologise for my comments if they cause upset but I stand by them, from what I know of her she would have found Cambridge life a struggle and she did.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was rejected as the admissions tutors felt I wasn't suited to my subject - they were right, that was the only negative comment on my feedback - I'm not bitter at all, it was the best thing that could ever have happened to me.

I apologise for my comments if they cause upset but I stand by them, from what I know of her she would have found Cambridge life a struggle and she did.

Well as far as I know you've barely talked to her since you left her school, nearly 3 years ago, although I may be wrong about that.

It's not that she found it a struggle, she just didn't enjoy it, and there's no point in staying somewhere when you're not happy.
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not that she found it a struggle, she just didn't enjoy it, and there's no point in staying somewhere when you're not happy.
Very true, but think of the place she has taken from someone who may really have loved it, perhaps this is a failing of the admissions process, all I'm saying is I wasn't surprised to hear the news, from day 1 she seemed out to make the worst of it making a fuss of no en-suite.

And you're right I haven't spoken to her since, and barely did then, I have no problem with her and would liked to have seen her make a success of her time there, but she didn't and that was all that was relevant to this thread.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Very true, but think of the place she has taken from someone who may really have loved it, perhaps this is a failing of the admissions process, all I'm saying is I wasn't surprised to hear the news, from day 1 she seemed out to make the worst of it making a fuss of no en-suite.

And you're right I haven't spoken to her since, and barely did then, I have no problem with her and would liked to have seen her make a success of her time there, but she didn't and that was all that was relevant to this thread.

I wasn't suprised either, but this wasn't becasue i thought "she should NEVER have gotten into Cambridge anyway", but becasue I knew she wasn't enjoying it. She didn't find the work too difficult or pressured, she just didn't like the place.
And, incidentally, she did have an ensuite no matter what you may have bee told in the Sandwich Co.
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And, incidentally, she did have an ensuite no matter what you may have bee told in the Sandwich Co.
Ooh we're getting touchy now! Care to reveal who you are? By the way I have been told all the comings and goings of this story from the start and maybe not from who you think.
You cannot deny there WAS a fuss about the ensuite.

Anyway, how about we agree to disagree? I probably shouldn't have made the comments I did, but I still stand by them as they ARE my opinions.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ooh we're getting touchy now! Care to reveal who you are? By the way I have been told all the comings and goings of this story from the start and maybe not from who you think.
You cannot deny there WAS a fuss about the ensuite.

Anyway, how about we agree to disagree? I probably shouldn't have made the comments I did, but I still stand by them as they ARE my opinions.

Ok, we can leave it at this. I just think you're being too hard on the girl. Her A level results and the fact that she was accepted show that she was more than capable of the work. She gave it a go and it didn't work out. I think I may have a good idea who you heard all this from, but I hardly think that matters. You're entitled to your opinions I suppose, but I'm equally entitled to stand up for her as it was ot any lack of ability or unsuitability that made her leave.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
So far.. I think I'd stick with Catz... appreciate any more 'insiders' comments though!
There is a guy at the research centre where I am at the moment who was at Catz. for his PhD (physics). I've known him for a while, but I only discovered to-day that he was at Catz. If you have any specific questions, I can ask him for you.
Fido
(Original post by Radagasty)
There is a guy at the research centre where I am at the moment who was at Catz. for his PhD (physics). I've known him for a while, but I only discovered to-day that he was at Catz. If you have any specific questions, I can ask him for you.
Thanks Radagasty,

Well it'll be helpful to know his overall impression on the college, did he like it? would he recommend it? and of course, the following typical questions!:

1-The graduates atmosphere.

2-The food?

3-Accommodation
I understand that all graduates accepted in Catz would be offered accommodation, and I've heard that 2/3 of their rooms are en-suites.. is that true? I think this is a good percentage compared to other colleges..

how good are the accommodation? I heard they have good ones in Russel St. for graduates..

Any tips are appreciated!
Again thanks..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (447)
59.13%
Yes- I don't like it (42)