This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
What course are you applying for?

This was the advice I was given by my thesis supervisor, who was himself at Emmanuel:

A college along the Backs is good;
go for an old college, otherwise it will be like New College (not Oxford, but Uni. of New South Wales, where I did my undergrad);
Magdalene is offensive (please don't flame me, anyone there... it's just what I was told);
Trinity is where the royals go;
Kings is beautiful but poor;
Peterhouse is creepy.

I was going for Emmanuel before I spoke to him, but, strangely enough, he didn't particularly recommend it. He said he only went there because he got an Emma scholarship.

In the end, I settled on St. John's as my first preference, which was relatively easy to get into, probably because it's even poorer than Kings, though I only found out after I applied. Sometimes, I think I should have applied to Trinity, but money isn't everything, and I don't regret accepting St. John's, though I haven't actually arrived there yet.

So, I suppose I would recommend St. John's as a college easy to get into, though, from what I've been told, it may be quite expensive.
haha thats quite funny advice you were given
wrong though

The idea of poor and rich is a bit dubious. St Johns certainly has alot more monetary resources than kings. The newly built colleges are generally the poorest, as is Kings which was nearly bankrupted some years back.
Richest colleges rated per undergrad/grad is Trinity, Jesus, Corpus as far as I know. Tho i think Caius and St Johns are on par with Corpus.

Backs make for nice scenery if you're there, but genereally it also means they have the colony accomodation (as they are trapped by river on one side, and town on the other.
J
Radagasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
Thanks Radagasty,

Well it'll be helpful to know his overall impression on the college, did he like it? would he recommend it? and of course, the following typical questions!:
Hi Fido,

I bumped into the guy to-day, but I was in a hurry to get to the post-box before the 6 p.m. deadline (to mail my St. John's acceptance, actually) so I didn't get a chance to ask him your questions in detail. I'll ask the next time I see him. (It's the summer holidays at the moment, so neither he nor I go in regularly.)

As to the overall impression, Cats is apparently a very 'undergraduate college', to use his terminology, i.e., the graduate community is comparatively small, esp. compared to the overall size of the college.

He did like it, though I suspect that everyone ends up liking their colleges. As to whether he would recommend it, well... it's his college, and he liked it, but he didn't particularly recommend it, nor did he recommend against it. It's a 'nice enough college'.
Fido
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
It's the summer holidays at the moment, so neither he nor I go in regularly.
Haaaaa????? Summer holidays?? are you stoned or something?? or are you living in Australia??

As to the overall impression, Cats is apparently a very 'undergraduate college', to use his terminology, i.e., the graduate community is comparatively small, esp. compared to the overall size of the college.
Funny... the guys at Catz say that it's a 50% graduate membership!!

He did like it, though I suspect that everyone ends up liking their colleges. As to whether he would recommend it, well... it's his college, and he liked it, but he didn't particularly recommend it, nor did he recommend against it. It's a 'nice enough college'.
Well... maybe I should've chosen an only grad college... anyway my fate is currently is in the hands of the BGS!!

Anyway.. thanks Radagasty for your help... appreciate it!
I hope to get an offer... regardless of the college I get to.. but reading all the posts in this forum.. it seemed to me that getting an offer in this college or that college is an extremely BIG thingy!!

Well... again... thanks.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
Haaaaa????? Summer holidays?? are you stoned or something?? or are you living in Australia??
I am actually... University of New South Wales.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
Well it'll be helpful to know his overall impression on the college, did he like it? would he recommend it? and of course, the following typical questions!:

1-The graduates atmosphere.

2-The food?

3-Accommodation
I understand that all graduates accepted in Catz would be offered accommodation, and I've heard that 2/3 of their rooms are en-suites.. is that true? I think this is a good percentage compared to other colleges..

how good are the accommodation? I heard they have good ones in Russel St. for graduates..
I went in to uni to-day, and had a bit more of a chance to talk to him. I actually didn't remember all of your questions, e.g., about ensuites, but he did say the accommodation was quite adequate. He warned, though, that you might not get to stay for the full three years; nonetheless, many grad students choose to live out. If you get a choice, go for the Greenlodge (I'm not sure I remember the name correctly) rooms over the Russell St. ones.

The graduates in St Catz is not the most cohesive group, and tend to be a little aloof from the undergraduates. Apparently, at Oriel College (Oxford) where he did his undergrad studies, the undergrad and grad students integrated much better.

Food is average... nothing fantastic, but mundane and edible. The term 'edible' didn't sound too promising to me, but he assured me it was all right.

Overall impressions: it is not the prettiest college, but it is not too large and impersonal, and, given the choice, he would go there again.
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
I applied to Catz last year for philosophy and got in but turned it down coz i changed my mind about the course. This was nothing to do with the college though which was really cool. Definately recommend it.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
Well... maybe I should've chosen an only grad college... anyway my fate is currently is in the hands of the BGS!!
Fido... I take it you're not from England. (Sorry... I'm guessing here.) Are you applying for any awards or scholarships?

By the way... just a word of warning... you have to be pro-active with the BGS. Don't just sit back and wait for things to happen. That's what I did last year, and nothing good came of it. I know they mention in several places that you shouldn't call them, but I made the mistake of following this piece of advice. Make sure your application is progressing at every stage.
Fido
Fido... I take it you're not from England. (Sorry... I'm guessing here.) Are you applying for any awards or scholarships?

By the way... just a word of warning... you have to be pro-active with the BGS. Don't just sit back and wait for things to happen. That's what I did last year, and nothing good came of it. I know they mention in several places that you shouldn't call them, but I made the mistake of following this piece of advice. Make sure your application is progressing at every stage.
No I'm not from England.. I live in the UAE..
I think I'm already too late to apply for anything! I don't believe that I'd be eligible for any anyway!!

Thanks for the advice... I'll do that, but how would this be done? should I call them by phone? as there email is an auto-response one!
I think I should contact my course admin and check if they received my application from the BGS!

you say you applied last year.. I understand that you didn't get an offer then.. what did you do in your opinion that changed their mind this year??
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
No I'm not from England.. I live in the UAE..
I think I'm already too late to apply for anything! I don't believe that I'd be eligible for any anyway!!
What course are you applying for, if you don't mind my asking? Is it by research or coursework?

(Original post by Fido)
Thanks for the advice... I'll do that, but how would this be done? should I call them by phone? as there email is an auto-response one! I think I should contact my course admin and check if they received my application from the BGS!
With regard to the BGS, don't bother trying to e-mail until you get the e-mail addresses of one of the staff members. The main BGS e-mail address is, as you said, automated, and completely unfriendly.

The only way of contacting them (short of writing a letter, which can take a long time to arrive) is by phone, although I would wait six weeks after sending your application before ringing.

You can contact your course admin to check if your application has arrived, but the BGS can take a while to forward the application to the relevant department.

Once you get your application number, the application tracker can be quite good, although it's often quite slow to update.

(Original post by Fido)
you say you applied last year.. I understand that you didn't get an offer then.. what did you do in your opinion that changed their mind this year??
Well... I was offered an academic place last year, but I couldn't get funding organised in time, so I had to defer the offer. Basically, what happened was that my application wasn't entered into their database for ages, so I wasn't sent scholarship application forms. Anyway, they say not to ring them, so I didn't, until the scholarship application deadline had passed. I finally rang, and they said that they would fax the application forms to me, and said it would be all right if I returned the application within the next few days. I received the forms on Thursday night, and faxed it back on Monday (I had to get references, etc., which took time as well), and, I heard nothing back from them. After a month, I had still heard nothing, so I rang the BGS, and they said they did receive my forms. What they didn't tell me was that it was too late to be considered after all, which I only discovered when I rang them another month later, after the result of the competition had been announced.

After this debacle, I learnt my lesson, and, now, I always ring up if I need to.

Another thing to note it that Cambridge is very slow at sending international letters. I live in Sydney, which is hardly Timbuktu, and whilst Sydney is on the other side of the world, mail should not take more than a week to get here, although those from Cambridge always seems to. For instance, on the 30th of Dec, I received an offer from St. John's College dated the 9th Dec. That's three weeks! And, worse, just yesterday, I received a letter dated 9th Jan from BGS saying that St. John's were prepared to admit me, and that I should expect to hear directly from the College soon. This was after I had already returned my acceptance form to the college.
Fido
What course are you applying for, if you don't mind my asking? Is it by research or coursework?

It is one of the MPhils in the JIMS and it is a bit of both!
It can't get more vague than this... right?!! well.. this is exactly what I'm trying to do!

When did you submit your application? or in other words.. how long did take till you were offered the place?
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fido)
When did you submit your application? or in other words.. how long did take till you were offered the place?
My application arrived in Cambridge 31st March, and I received a letter from the Department dated 23 May telling me they would be recommending to the Board of Graduate Studies that I be admitted, and an actual offer from the BGS dated 10 June.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (444)
59.04%
Yes- I don't like it (42)