The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2011 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Till when can you apply for these internships?
Reply 61
Debating whether to apply to BarCap now or not. I reckon the rolling applications make it an advantage, but I'm starting another internship in 2 weeks...you can't really put future stuff on a CV can you?
Reply 62
eivoquraf
Debating whether to apply to BarCap now or not. I reckon the rolling applications make it an advantage, but I'm starting another internship in 2 weeks...you can't really put future stuff on a CV can you?

I think you can. Obviously you don't have the advantage of being able to say what skills you learnt etc. but it still shows that you were good enough to get a place. It's up to you really if you want to wait or not.
Reply 63
Milch
I think you can. Obviously you don't have the advantage of being able to say what skills you learnt etc. but it still shows that you were good enough to get a place. It's up to you really if you want to wait or not.

I guess I can put it down, but the problem is I'm not really sure what my tasks will be etc.

Does anyone know when they start doing phone interviews?
Reply 64
eivoquraf
I guess I can put it down, but the problem is I'm not really sure what my tasks will be etc.

Does anyone know when they start doing phone interviews?

they normally show it on the website, i think goldman is around jan-feb, someone correct me if im wrong, but i would presume others would be the same
Apply early. Practice your numericals. Get seniors to look over your CV.

Let it commence...
Reply 66
NothingOnYou
Apply early. Practice your numericals. Get seniors to look over your CV.

Let it commence...

i'm just wondering, what months do they normally arrange interviews?
CS_Prodigy
i'm just wondering, what months do they normally arrange interviews?

October through to February, generally. Some banks get it out the way early (UBS), some banks wait a little (CS).

Get applications out of the way as soon as you can, and where possible get someone's who's received an offer in the past to look over your CV and general cover letter template. The only harm in applying early is that your views about what you want to do and your understanding of the business may not be completely formed, but there's still time.
Reply 68
NothingOnYou
October through to February, generally. Some banks get it out the way early (UBS), some banks wait a little (CS).

Get applications out of the way as soon as you can, and where possible get someone's who's received an offer in the past to look over your CV and general cover letter template. The only harm in applying early is that your views about what you want to do and your understanding of the business may not be completely formed, but there's still time.

so i should really send it away now then?, because most of the ones apart from GS, have numerical tests which i want to practice till september then send them away, is that a better idea?
CS_Prodigy
so i should really send it away now then?, because most of the ones apart from GS, have numerical tests which i want to practice till september then send them away, is that a better idea?

Now? Probably a little too hasty. If you're not 100% confident on your tests practice them, it's a stupid fall down on the most trivial part of any application.

The first few weeks of university is a great time to be getting them away. You won't be at the very very front, but you'll still be ahead of a lot of people at that point.
Reply 70
NothingOnYou
Now? Probably a little too hasty. If you're not 100% confident on your tests practice them, it's a stupid fall down on the most trivial part of any application.

The first few weeks of university is a great time to be getting them away. You won't be at the very very front, but you'll still be ahead of a lot of people at that point.

cool, thanks for the advice. :yep: so do you think i should send the ones without tests and just interviews applications pretty soon?
CS_Prodigy
cool, thanks for the advice. :yep: so do you think i should send the ones without tests and just interviews applications pretty soon?

If you're happy with the content, of course.

I think it was Merrill Lynch / Bank of America that had tests after the very first section. A good chance to practice numericals.
Reply 72
NothingOnYou
If you're happy with the content, of course.

I think it was Merrill Lynch / Bank of America that had tests after the very first section. A good chance to practice numericals.

Thanks for the advice :yep:
What's the deal with the UBS logical and numerical assessment. I sat them yesterday and got an email saying if I don't hear back from them immediately it means they are still considering my application. I didn't hear back (so that's good).

By Immediately do they mean within the day? Are the tests automatically graded?

It has been more than 24 hours now so I hope I'm in the clear (Y) :smile:
c12andn15
What's the deal with the UBS logical and numerical assessment. I sat them yesterday and got an email saying if I don't hear back from them immediately it means they are still considering my application. I didn't hear back (so that's good).

By Immediately do they mean within the day? Are the tests automatically graded?

It has been more than 24 hours now so I hope I'm in the clear (Y) :smile:

How difficult is the numerical/logical assessment?
chocolat321
How difficult is the numerical/logical assessment?

Hmmmm how to summarise.

The Numerical one isn't difficult, I find the time constraint the worst bit about it.

The Logical test is weird. For the practice questions I got 10/10 but as I was doing It I thought I was guessing them/felt I wasn't sure they were correct.

Same happened in the actual test, I felt I was getting them wrong but hopefully I wasn't. I also finished 7 minutes early on the logical test...

Either way, they haven't got back to me which is a good sign, as their email to me said (quote)
:

"Thank you for completing the online tests as part of your application for the UBS Internship or Graduate Training Program

If you are successful, your application will be screened by our recruitment team and we will contact you regarding next steps. If you do not hear from us immediately, it is because we are still considering your application.

If you are unsuccessful at this stage, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

That was almost two days ago, so I think (but don't know) I passed them.
c12andn15

Hmmmm how to summarise.

The Numerical one isn't difficult, I find the time constraint the worst bit about it.

The Logical test is weird. For the practice questions I got 10/10 but as I was doing It I thought I was guessing them/felt I wasn't sure they were correct.

Same happened in the actual test, I felt I was getting them wrong but hopefully I wasn't. I also finished 7 minutes early on the logical test...

Either way, they haven't got back to me which is a good sign, as their email to me said (quote)
:

"Thank you for completing the online tests as part of your application for the UBS Internship or Graduate Training Program

If you are successful, your application will be screened by our recruitment team and we will contact you regarding next steps. If you do not hear from us immediately, it is because we are still considering your application.

If you are unsuccessful at this stage, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

That was almost two days ago, so I think (but don't know) I passed them.

Thanks. How long are the two?
chocolat321
Thanks. How long are the two?

They are both 30 minutes if you include the examples, if not 21 minutes.

I think 18 questions and 21 minutes for the numerical test and 20 logical questions in 21 minutes.

This is for London IBD btw, just to clarify.
c12andn15

I think 18 questions and 21 minutes for the numerical test and 20 logical questions in 21 minutes.

Okay, thanks. :smile:
Reply 79
c12andn15

what other banks have you applied for?

i still think its a bit too early to submit applications, for me that is, so im just going to wait till start of sep, as this is when most banks open their online apps, and on the plus side, i can research and prepare for the interviews, but good luck with your result

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending