The Student Room Group

UCL vs KCL in Public Policy

Hello,

I was recently offered a masters at both UCL and KCL in Public Policy. Could anyone give me some advice on which Uni is better for politics? According to the Guardian table KCL is better for politics, but UCL tends to have the better rep overall so I am a bit confused. I will visit both Unis soon anyway, but I would like to get a few opinions from here as well. Thanks

Philip
Reply 1
I wouldn't read too much into rankings since they are generally based on undergraduate degrees/teaching rather than postgraduate degree/teaching. This would also explain UCL's position, as UCL does not offer politics as an undergraduate degree (although certain degrees such as the European Studies degree do have a strong politics element). UCL is however well regarded for its Public Policy programme (only offered as a postgraduate degree) and research relating to the same (have a look at RAE 2008 research ranking on the Guardian website). However you shouldn't base your decision to attend one university over the other solely on rankings, go have a look at each university if you can, talk with the professors/current students, and get a feel for each university and the facilities it has to offer. Also take a closer look at the curriculum and see which has the more interesting courses you would like to do/professors you would like to be taught by/do research under etc. These factors are much more important than ranking or reputation. Saying that both universities are very well respected so you can't go wrong with either one.
Philboy87
Hello,

I was recently offered a masters at both UCL and KCL in Public Policy. Could anyone give me some advice on which Uni is better for politics? According to the Guardian table KCL is better for politics, but UCL tends to have the better rep overall so I am a bit confused. I will visit both Unis soon anyway, but I would like to get a few opinions from here as well. Thanks

Philip

This is easy. UCL>KCL for public policy. For just about every possible reason.

/thread
Reply 3
drive like june
This is easy. UCL>KCL for public policy. For just about every possible reason.

/thread

Could you please specify the reasons for me? I will do some research myself for sure, but maybe you know something else too. Thanks
Original post by Philboy87
Could you please specify the reasons for me? I will do some research myself for sure, but maybe you know something else too. Thanks

Hey, in a similar position now. What did you go with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending