The Student Room Group

Applying to CeX

I'm applying to CeX for my first job, is this a good move? No other company is hiring in my area atm apart from CeX, although the journey time is an hour. I was waiting for Waitrose to have an open post but nothing seems to be coming up.

Anyway, once I apply (applying for Saturdays only), do I get sent some work to do like a questionnaire regarding the job like Next do or do I get called straight away for an interview?
chaz1992
I'm applying to CeX for my first job, is this a good move? No other company is hiring in my area atm apart from CeX, although the journey time is an hour. I was waiting for Waitrose to have an open post but nothing seems to be coming up.

Anyway, once I apply (applying for Saturdays only), do I get sent some work to do like a questionnaire regarding the job like Next do or do I get called straight away for an interview?

If you're successful then they'll contact you via telephone or email confirming an interview.
If you don't hear back after 2 weeks or so, you've probably been unsuccessful. Some companies send out unsuccessful letters, though many (infuriatingly) don't.

Do keep in mind that probably a lot of people will be applying for Saturdays only; so just keep realistic about the opportunity.
Good luck.
Sorry for thread necromancy, but I can provide a little info having worked for CEX for around 4 years.

My hiring, was simply handing a CV in (asked by manager in store to attend interview next day) and I got hired. Found out within 1 day.

From my experience working in stores though, every store does it a little differently.
Our store had a sign up in the window, when you applied, 9/10 we'd ask you if it was full or part time, CV's, we'd usually build for a week or two, up to 3 weeks. Then we'd look through them, discard the bad ones, and if you were selected for an interview, we'd phone ya. If you hear nothing back in a month, you probably won't get it, if they're just holding onto your CV, you may get lucky a few months down the line, it depends on if the store really has a high staff turnover.

Onto the interview. No email questions or anything like that, simply turn up for the interview (smart casual is better than full-on casual) and Suit is better than both of those. Our store would give you a sheet of paper, and give you 10 minutes to go round the store to write 10 things you liked, and ten things you didn't like. This gives you a chance to air some suggestions, and we found it'd help identify weaker staff to come.

As for the interview, again, depends entirely on the manager of the store. Most are fairly relaxed, they look for hard working staff willing to learn with product knowledge. Mostly they'll care more about your taste in games/music/movies, to show you have knowledge. Expect usual interview questions basically..
EDIT : Also, if it's part time you apply for, most stores love someone they can call at a moments notice and have them cover shifts, that's one of the largest things our store hired for, before I left, we had manager + 2 supervisors + 2 FT staff, we had 7 part time staff. after I've left store now has 8/9 part timers. So, biggest tip is to be available often.

Finally...if all goes well, our store would phone the people the same day, or within 2 or 3 days tops, if you don't hear back, you didn't get it.

Quite a simple interview process. Really what you need is to be confident, like the same things as the staff ! and be competent.

Again, sorry for thread necromancy, but this may help some people :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Apologies also for thread necromancy (years down the line as well) but since my interview was totally different it seemed worth noting. I handed in a CV once I saw the ad they posted and they contacted me within the week by phone and said it was a group interview.
There were 6 of us though there were meant to be 10 and we got a few minutes to mingle. We were then sat down and told to introduce ourselves and say who we would give a bullet and a rose to. This was a good point to show whether you had any extensive knowledge on certain people e.g. I gave a rose to the Dark Souls creator though most people were giving them to 'in' actresses such as Ellen Page. Knowing your stuff can help you stand out.
Then we were separated in to two groups and given 5 sheets of paper, some tape and a pair of scissor and told to build the tallest tower we could. The last bit of the interview was that we had to do a comparison between 5 sets of items which included phone, tablets, computer components and DVD/Blu Rays. Hope this helps anyone just in case the interview layout changed in the last few years.
We were told that we would hear back from a certain day (just under a month away) as they had to do several more sets of interviews.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I would like to work with you because I am very good at communication and very trustful and very helpful all the time and just wondering if you have any spaces so I can join please
My interview at CeX was different again, so I just thought I's share. It was all pretty relaxed, handed in a CV,heard nothing foa few weeks and literally kind of forgot about it. Then got a call asking me to go in for an 'informal interview'. Basically they just wanted to see what kind of person you were and whether you know anything about the stuff they sell (they asked questions like 'name 2 recently released films.':wink: About a day later they called to ask if I'd go back for a 'trial day', where I basically floated round and tidied the shop floor for a few hours. Then they contacted a couple of days later to offer the job. In my experience, it was a lot more relaxed than applying for other jobs and certainly wouldn't be too overwhelming for your first experience of applying.
Although, do bear in mind it will be competitive, so you're going to want to apply for loads of jobs, anywhere you can, because most places won't even bother to reply to you. Good luck! 😄
Reply 6
Im applying for a job at CeX and got an email for a interview next week. to keep in mind this is a neew franchise that is opening near me, there isn't a store near me the closes one is around 15miles away. I got a interview at a library close to the store where it will opening.

Does anyone know what types of questions they ask ?? Thanks if you know any that can pop up please tell me. I'm in desperate need of a part time job !!!
Original post by Tahaa M
Im applying for a job at CeX and got an email for a interview next week. to keep in mind this is a neew franchise that is opening near me, there isn't a store near me the closes one is around 15miles away. I got a interview at a library close to the store where it will opening.

Does anyone know what types of questions they ask ?? Thanks if you know any that can pop up please tell me. I'm in desperate need of a part time job !!!

I got a job at CeX in summer, whilst it was still being built. Bearing in mind that my shop is a franchise, my bosses held the interview at a coffee shop and offered to buy me one (aw) and then asked about new release games, asked me to recommend films for different types of customer with different situations, asked what I know about mobile phones and DSLRs (which was and still is close to nothing!! I told them I don't know but I'd be willing to learn), asked me to sell my phone to them (describe what it's like, the functions etc). They asked about customer service (CeX staff DON'T harass custies!!) and then how I'd deal with horrible customers.

Basically, you just need knowledge of the products - you can't really bluff it, in my case, my bosses really know their stuff, and be polite and friendly and show that you know how to deal with custies! I thought I'd ruined my interview but I got the job, and I absolutely love it. They tend to like to hire a certain type of person - outcasts, nerds, metalheads, that kinda thing.

Oh, and they said casual dress for the interview, but I wore business wear (smart dress and Dr Martens)... my bosses turned up in jeans and tshirts!
My boyfriend used to work at CeX and he really liked it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi my name is James and I would love to work in cex as I no I would be great at my job I'm friendly as very hard working
Would you say Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday 4 till close which is 7 apart from Wednesday and Thursday and full day Wednesday and Saturday Sunday would be enough hours that they would employ me and what does it mean when they say that they'll put me in their computer
Would you say Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday 4 till close which is 7 apart from Wednesday and Thursday and full day Wednesday and Saturday Sunday would be enough hours that they would employ me and what does it mean when they say that they'll put me in their computer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending