Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about the hazard perception section of theory test (car) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    When doing the hazard perception section, and say you think a man walking down the pavement is a hazard, and you click and a flag comes up. Then, you see a car coming from side road into main road, and you realise this is the hazard and you click again, etc. so you've clicked for more than 1 possible hazard, do they only take your first click or all of them, or what in the actual theory hazard perception section?

And what happens if you click at the point where you would get 5 marks (highest) than again at the point where you would get 4 marks then again at the point where you would get for example 2 marks. Would they award you 5 marks or 2 marks or 0 for that clip?

Also, the official DSA theory test kit has only got 3 or 4 clips to practice on which won't be enough as the actual test consists of 14 clips.
    Are there any books/CDs/websites which cover all of the possible hazard perception clips that can come up in the exam? (As I know there are certain books/CDs which cover ALL the multiple choice questions possible for the theory exam) or any websites/books with many very very similar to the real thing hazard perception clips? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In the Hazard Perception part of the test, you will watch 14 video clips which between them have 15 hazards that you will be marked on - there are two in one of the clips.

The hazards you are marked on cause you as the driver to either change your speed or change direction.

You are allowed a fair amount of clicks on each clip, as you are supposed to click everything that is a "potential" hazard. One of these "potential" hazards will develop, causing you as the driver to change speed or direction.

For example, a man walking along the pavement is a "potential" hazard, but if he were to suddenly walk out into the road in front of you, the hazard would have developed. You need to click as soon as you notice the hazard develop. You score from 1 to 5 depending on how fast you to notice the hazard develop.

You can probably click up to around 10 times in one clip to be safe, but be careful clicking too often, otherwise you will score 0 for the clip.

If you click and score 5, then click again and score 2, for example, you will always score the highest number.

There are some products you can buy, such as Driving Test Success (which I used) that give you a huge number of real Hazard Perception clips to practice with. [LINK]

I hope I answered your questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ewen1605)
    In the Hazard Perception part of the test, you will watch 14 video clips which between them have 15 hazards that you will be marked on - there are two in one of the clips.

The hazards you are marked on cause you as the driver to either change your speed or change direction.

You are allowed a fair amount of clicks on each clip, as you are supposed to click everything that is a "potential" hazard. One of these "potential" hazards will develop, causing you as the driver to change speed or direction.

For example, a man walking along the pavement is a "potential" hazard, but if he were to suddenly walk out into the road in front of you, the hazard would have developed. You need to click as soon as you notice the hazard develop. You score from 1 to 5 depending on how fast you to notice the hazard develop.

You can probably click up to around 10 times in one clip to be safe, but be careful clicking too often, otherwise you will score 0 for the clip.

If you click and score 5, then click again and score 2, for example, you will always score the highest number.

There are some products you can buy, such as Driving Test Success (which I used) that give you a huge number of real Hazard Perception clips to practice with. [LINK]

I hope I answered your questions
    Thank you very much for your informative post
    So if someone clicks at score 5 and then at score 2, they will get 5 yeah?

Also, thank you for the link but I registered here: theory-test.co.uk and paid for around 70 hazard perception clips. Are these very similar to the real ones as well?

The ones you used (your link) how similar were they to the real ones? e.g. exact same hazard, roads, etc. or different and how many of the 14 you got in the test where from that CD?

Do you know of any websites or something where I could read about ALL the possible hazards that I would need to look out for in the hazard perception?

Also, during review, they sometimes show the point to click for 5 marks and it's something at a great distance and looks very very blurry and almost impossible to spot.. Is that how the real exam is like or is the clip quality just lower on my computer or as they are only practice ones?

Sorry to ask so many questions lol

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)
    Also, during review, they sometimes show the point to click for 5 marks and it's something at a great distance and looks very very blurry and almost impossible to spot.. Is that how the real exam is like or is the clip quality just lower on my computer or as they are only practice ones?
    I found the real thing way, way easier than any practice clips I did. They're a lot more obvious in the real test, well at least the clips that I got. Just keep practising, if you can nail all these ones, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    I found the real thing way, way easier than any practice clips I did. They're a lot more obvious in the real test, well at least the clips that I got. Just keep practising, if you can nail all these ones, you'll be fine.
    Thank you for your post Can you please provide links to all the websites/CDs/etc. from which you practised clips for the hazard perception?
    Also, what month & year did you take the theory test?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your post Can you please provide links to all the websites/CDs/etc. from which you practised clips for the hazard perception?

Thanks
    Sure, I used:

http://www.learnerdriving.com/hazard...ption-test.php - 28 clips in total available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test..._sw_h__title_0 - a lot more on there, plus theory questions.

Took it a few months ago this year, it hasn't changed since to the best of my knowledge.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    My sister used a BSM dvd rom which was quite good - she was getting about 46/7 on the practice ones and she got 44 on the real thing 3 weeks ago. Well at least she passed!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your informative post
    So if someone clicks at score 5 and then at score 2, they will get 5 yeah?
    Indeed, you'd score 5.

Also, thank you for the link but I registered here: theory-test.co.uk and paid for around 70 hazard perception clips. Are these very similar to the real ones as well?

The ones you used (your link) how similar were they to the real ones? e.g. exact same hazard, roads, etc. or different and how many of the 14 you got in the test where from that CD?
    Absolutely none of the clips I watched on my CD were on my actual Hazard Perception test but it was good practice anyway because you start to learn the hazards you'll probably see.

For example, if the video clip is on a motorway, you'll pretty much guarantee that it'll be someone joining from a junction awkwardly or someone cutting in front of you.

If you've paid for 70 hazard perception clips, that's brilliant, and I'd expect you'll see at least one or two on your real test - but don't be surprised if you get a lot of new ones too.

Do you know of any websites or something where I could read about ALL the possible hazards that I would need to look out for in the hazard perception?
    Again, this is just practice by viewing as many clips as you can. You'll start to see the hazards you might face. Another one is if you're on a country road - it's usually something like pedestrians walking on your side of the road when you come round a corner.

I know what you mean because I had the same problem when I was using clips from my CD. The quality is slightly better in the test centres (or it was in mine, at least) but don't fret - you only need to score 3 on every hazard to pass.

Sorry to ask so many questions lol

Thanks again!
    It's quite alright, glad to help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much, you three
    will be giving you all positive rep soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.