This discussion is closed.
unknownFluency
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi All

Just wondered if any current Southampton residents can provide me with a list of areas to consider living in and areas to avoid in Southampton. Doesn't matter how close/far I am from the university, although around 5 miles would be my limit.

Thanks a lot in advanced guys.
faeriequeene
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Hey!
I just know about the places near the uni but the main student area for Southampton uni students is Portswood which is a mile from Highfield campus and easy walk. It is also really good cos its on the bus route, on a high street and near the local student pubs. But if you want somewhere away from the main student 'ghetto', then Basset Green and the houses round Glen Eyre are quite good and close. I don't know about much further afield although I lived in Swaythling last year and I wouldn't rate it. It's a bit rough and not particularly close to much but a tesco and a maccy D's.
There are nicer places and places in the centre but I don't know as much about them. But Portswood seems a pretty good area and feels pretty safe. :-)
Hope this helps
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
Could you name the nicer areas (don't worry if you don't know much about them - I'll look for reviews and stuff, I'd just like to at least be looking at the right areas to begin with). Thanks a lot for your help though, very useful and it'll help me.
nikki_louise
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say highfield is nice, as is the basset green area, a lot of places around portswood are really nice for the reasons above but some areas are a bit grotty (sp?) but it is one of the main areas for students. i think you have to be careful with some of the houses on burgess road especially as you get nearer to mcdonalds esp with the flowers estate being very near by.
The_Jammy_Witch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't forget the Polygon area..! Highfield is good also.

Don't live in St Mary's.
LongTallAlly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd avoid St Mary's (although I lived there for a year and survived it just wasn't a very nice area), also avoid the Flowers Estate. I'd also avoid Bevois Valley, we had LOTS of problems there.

You want to look at places like Portswood, Bassett (although it's more expensive there), some parts of Shirley (Foyes Corner is okay), The Polygon, Archers Road and Hill Lane are all good too. Oh and Inner Avenue.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Jammy_Witch)
Don't forget the Polygon area..! Highfield is good also.

Don't live in St Mary's.
I lived in ST marys for a year - it was alright actually, nice neighbours, cheap rent and really handy for town. Debenhams for a corner shop isn't great for your bank account though
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
Brilliant info guys, thanks so much! Please keep the suggestions coming. I've made myself a little list. What do you think of Banister Park, Winn Road, Westwood road, Ocean Villiage? Also, i've heard Gordon Avenue and Alma road aren't too nice, same goes for Alma road. Can anyone confirm? Thanks again!
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unknownFluency)
Brilliant info guys, thanks so much! Please keep the suggestions coming. I've made myself a little list. What do you think of Banister Park, Winn Road, Westwood road, Ocean Villiage? Also, i've heard Gordon Avenue and Alma road aren't too nice, same goes for Alma road. Can anyone confirm? Thanks again!
Those are generally alright areas. Banister park used to be reasonable The local rag makes out it's not so good now but that might be a few vocal local residents. As for Alma road, Gordon Avenue etc. They may feel a bit run down but I think that's mostly due to it being mostly rentals to students.

A lot of the Student heavy places may feel more rundown as the landlords may not put as much money into the properties as they might do if they owned and lived in them.

Ocean Village is likely to be expensive. It also borders on St Mary's and Northam which are some of the more rough places.

Flowers Estate can be good, can be bad. It was a council estate that's now been overtaken by students in some areas. Same can be said for Mayflower road, broadlands road, etc. (opposite side of burgess road to the flowers estate)
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
Any opinions on Regent Street and the surrounding areas? Thanks a lot again - this is the last time I'll ask; you've all been very helpful. Reps coming your way =)
mfaxford
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any opinions on Regent Street and the surrounding areas? Thanks a lot again - this is the last time I'll ask; you've all been very helpful. Reps coming your way =)
If it's what google maps is showing me that's right in the middle of town. Your nearest corner shop is probably Asda, easy access to trains and buses. The only potential problems I can see are noise at night (with people traveling between various pubs and clubs). You might also need to be a bit careful at night with the odd homeless people around.
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
Ahh sorry im such a tool. I meant Regents Park Road! Apologies, what do you think based on that? thanks again!
cheercoach101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stop listening to people who are ****ging off place because they make it all seem like its worse than it is.

St Mary's is a predominantly Asian area. This doesnt make it a bad place! It is not ideal for you because you go to southampton uni and unless you want to bus it everyday or walk for half an hour to get to uni, You may want to avoid it. On the plus side- its 2mins away from the town center.

Whoever said ocean village is just ok obviously doesnt know it well! It is gorgeous. It located near the marina and is mostly filled with proffesionals. I had a two bedroom flat there in my second year and it cost me £650 a month excl. bills but it came with a private roof top garden and overlooked the penthouses. £650 a month is cheap in ocean village lol.

The Polygon is mostly studentland and but its also mostly Solent Uni students due to its proximity to Solent Uni. It is closer than St M's and ocean village but there are unilink buses close to all three anyway. They cost about £10 for a weeks tickets or £1.50 a single for any journey or £2.50 for a return ticket which also works as an all day ticket.

Highfield is very close to soton uni and its a decent area. Portswood is also ok because its also studentland for southampton uni students. But its not great. Like any student area, you have to deal with noise, drunken people and there is a naked guy who w*nks in the street often. Other than that, its a typical student area.

Southampton is generally a nice friendly place. I wouldnt advise you to be any more careful here than i would anywhere else. And whereever you end up living, it wont matter coz its all about the people you end up with more than the place you live in.

good luck
mfaxford
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cheercoach101)
St Mary's is a predominantly Asian area. This doesnt make it a bad place!
When I've suggested St Mary's as a rough place I wasn't thinking of Asian people. Both St Mary's and Northam have a number of Council Estate blocks of flats. These have the potential for a number of problems. If you fit in with the other residents then you may not have any problems. I don't think I'd want to be a Uni student living there though! If you're away from those hot spots they're probably no worse than any other area. For me personally I'd do a lot of research into the part of one of those areas I was going to move into before going there.

Oh. And I know several people from those areas including the hot spots. Whilst most of them are really nice it's the sort of area you will have the few that aren't.

Ahh sorry im such a tool. I meant Regents Park Road! Apologies, what do you think based on that? thanks again!
I don't know it that well but I think Regents Park is pretty reasonable as an area. It's probably not the best place for getting to either Uni, the only real options are walk/cycle/car (and parking can be a problem) in Southampton.
cheercoach101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mfaxford)
When I've suggested St Mary's as a rough place I wasn't thinking of Asian people. Both St Mary's and Northam have a number of Council Estate blocks of flats. These have the potential for a number of problems. If you fit in with the other residents then you may not have any problems. I don't think I'd want to be a Uni student living there though! If you're away from those hot spots they're probably no worse than any other area. For me personally I'd do a lot of research into the part of one of those areas I was going to move into before going there.

Oh. And I know several people from those areas including the hot spots. Whilst most of them are really nice it's the sort of area you will have the few that aren't.
So the incidences that occur in the polygon, portswood or the occassional ones in ocean village dont count? I think yes, something could happen in st mary's but for the most part, a lot of the incidences that occur amongst students tend to be because people arent being careful. i.e walking in the parks at night, going out and getting drunk and then walking home alone, not being aware of their surroundings etc.

If you are worried about it them dont live in the heart of st mary's. all the students i know live on the outskirts of it and are fine.

I have coached near a housing estate and a boxing club known for violence for 3 years in southampton and not once have i have a problem. Neither have any of the 64 5 - 26year olds i coach, most of whom live on or near the estates.
aas
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hello guys, I was wondering if I could ask you a question? I am starting my Master at Solent University in January and have found a 2 bedrooms flat at Portland street but I dont know anything about Southampton until I've seen this forum and as I can see Solon must be a crazy place, so please if you know anything about portland street area let me know how dangerous it is, so at least I will be prepared. Thank you
katyness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
o.0 im so shocked. my friend lied to me :'( i'll never forgive him...
mfaxford
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aas)
Hello guys, I was wondering if I could ask you a question? I am starting my Master at Solent University in January and have found a 2 bedrooms flat at Portland street but I dont know anything about Southampton until I've seen this forum and as I can see Solon must be a crazy place, so please if you know anything about portland street area let me know how dangerous it is, so at least I will be prepared. Thank you
It's not particularly crazy. Like any city you've got some more up market areas (Chilworth, Parts of Bassett and Highfield), Student Areas (lots of portswood, swaythling, parts of Bassett and Highfield) and not so good areas.

I think portland street is probably in the center of the city near lots of shops and things. That could mean lots of noise of an evening with the various night life I don't know much more though.

It's worthwhile trying to have a day that you can look at various flats and look at the areas. Google maps and street view can also be a help.
PixiePlumber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm at Orion's point right now, which is either at the edge of Portswood or at the edge of St Mary's. I'm practically round the corner from Solent which would have been handy if I went there!

I don't feel safe here at all, I'd feel safer in the middle of Portswood, ya know, like near Iceland etc, but where I live there's lots of drunk people and creepy looking people who stare at you. It only took a week for us to be the victims of some violent crime on a unilink bus too, it's really made me scared.
Zoltar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi all,

What is it like living on Burgess Road near Burger King? I am coming to the UK in March and I might be living on Burgess Road. Any reason to be worried?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (208)
57.14%
I don't have everything I need (156)
42.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed