Apply for two courses at same university? Watch

This discussion is closed.
africa
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is it advisable to apply for two courses at LSE? I have one choice left. I'd really like to to LSE. Have applied for economics (my first choice, but highly competitive). Would like to know how I'd be treated if I apply in addition for a BSc in Maths and Econometrics (less competitive). Will they see I have applied for two courses? Will I be rejected immediately from the Economics course in favour of the BSc in Maths and Econometrics? Thanks for your opinion!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by africa)
Is it advisable to apply for two courses at LSE? I have one choice left. I'd really like to to LSE. Have applied for economics (my first choice, but highly competitive). Would like to know how I'd be treated if I apply in addition for a BSc in Maths and Econometrics (less competitive). Will they see I have applied for two courses? Will I be rejected immediately from the Economics course in favour of the BSc in Maths and Econometrics? Thanks for your opinion!
well they r quite similar anyway........u need an interest in maths and economics 4 both courses......
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know people who've applied for four courses at the same university.

I don't know whether the different admissons tutors will be able to tell that you've applied for both courses though. You'd have to ask somebody about that.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by africa)

apparently tutors do know if u apply to the same uni......especially the same department. i think its not a good idea for LSE cos u should focus on being really interested in one course......so it shows u're devoted. my friend applied for straight econ and econ and history i think........he had 4A at AS and predicted 3A.........but got rejected for BOTH. But i also know someone who applied for 2 courses for econ at LSE, with lower predicted grades, and extremely low AS grades........yet was accepted by both.......!!!!
AlexDowning
Report 16 years ago
Well tutors would probably know - but since the courses are very related it may not really matter so much - though I agree with the fact that it would be better to show you are really determined to do one thing ...
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If its a differnt department/admissions tutor then u'll be treated equally, unless by chance they happen to metion u in convosaion, unlikley as departments seem to be very isolated, they will never even know and i doubt they'd hold it against you
frappucino
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i applied for two courses in the same dept. (biochem & biotech) at imperial and got offers for both (although identical offers-bleh) don't know if this helps...
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A friend of mine applied for 2 courses in the LSE, and got offers for both. The admissions people definately know, because she got one letter covering both offers! She explained her interests in her personal statement, but I suppose if they doubt your interest for your subject(s) it could work against you.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I applied for both Multimedia and Internet Technology and Computer Science at Salford. I got a place on both but decided to the Internet Technology course as cruncing numbers for 3 years didn't really apeal to me.
ruthie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[COLOR=magenta]if you didnt want to risk applying for two courses that close at one university apply for ure top choice n if the other is not as competative you could go through clearing, or if u dont meet the grades they may suggest a different course for you, [COLOR=magenta]
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On your ucas form any courses you have applied for at that university will show up i think - the other choices will be blank as usual. So they will be able to see im afraid. - but then again this may show that you're very keen to go to LSE so coul dbe a pluss point for you.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthie)
[COLOR=magenta]if you didnt want to risk applying for two courses that close at one university apply for ure top choice n if the other is not as competative you could go through clearing, or if u dont meet the grades they may suggest a different course for you, [COLOR=magenta]
This'd usually be a safe bet, but I don't think the LSE go through clearing... you should definately check before you try this.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lurker)
This'd usually be a safe bet, but I don't think the LSE go through clearing... you should definately check before you try this.

LSE definitely don't go thru clearing
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One the LSE open day they said they said dont apply for more than one of maths and economics, business maths and stats, and actuarial science, as they will not be considered sperately and u certainly wont get 2 offers. This implies that you could apply to one of these and another in the department, and the single economics applications are definitely assessed seperately, by different people, to the maths and economics ones
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (0)
0%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (0)
0%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads