The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yoyo462001
I got a first in my First year and to be honest I would certainly say I didn't go out as much as everyone, there were many times I declined to go out in order to get some work done. Then again you can still party hard but it also means you have to work harder.

Was it worth not going out as much , HELL YEAH :yes:

Oh really, see the thing is.. im a Boxer so we have Boxing seasons in which drinking for the most dedicated boxers (myself :p:) should be prohibited, and we only really drink in times of closed-season which is June-September..

So.. if things stay the same, and i'm not sucked into the pits of Boozeyness at University, i should have available time to do the necessary reading/studying/revision to get a high classification? :wink:
Bekaboo
I think it's worth noting that yes for some people and some subjects a first may mean no social life. But not for everyone. I rowed (think 12 training sessions in a week) and did 2 choir practices, 2 orchestra practices, played football and hockey... gave up on the latter two in my final year, and I didn't go out as much as some people (rarely more than twice a week). Still got a first. So if I hadn't had lots of extra curriculars I probably could have gone out loads instead of rowing and still managed it.

Well as i mentioned, i should be getting a boxing scholarship which i'll probably be expected to train everyday (which i have done previously anyway).. but you think ill manage yes? :yep:
Frankster1992
Oh really, see the thing is.. im a Boxer so we have Boxing seasons in which drinking for the most dedicated boxers (myself :p:) should be prohibited, and we only really drink in times of closed-season which is June-September..

So.. if things stay the same, and i'm not sucked into the pits of Boozeyness at University, i should have available time to do the necessary reading/studying/revision to get a high classification? :wink:

Managing your time is one of the most important things at uni, if you can allocate effectively and enough time for study then you'll do fine, I don't think boozing is too bad, unless you're going hungover to a 9am lecture :teehee:
yoyo462001
Managing your time is one of the most important things at uni, if you can allocate effectively and enough time for study then you'll do fine, I don't think boozing is too bad, unless you're going hungover to a 9am lecture :teehee:

Oh being Hungover at 9am Lectures a bad thing then, you know from experience? :hahaha:
Bekaboo
I think it's worth noting that yes for some people and some subjects a first may mean no social life. But not for everyone. I rowed (think 12 training sessions in a week) and did 2 choir practices, 2 orchestra practices, played football and hockey... gave up on the latter two in my final year, and I didn't go out as much as some people (rarely more than twice a week). Still got a first. So if I hadn't had lots of extra curriculars I probably could have gone out loads instead of rowing and still managed it.

The only thing I was doing outside of uni, one day a week was my dancing (it was the only thing that kept me sane for 3yrs and gave me a break from it all) and I have still managed to fall short of the First, regardless of studying non stop. In the 3yrs, I have been out once with my uni friends and now and again to events with family, but other than that - it's been non stop studying, living under a stone!!!

Not at all sayin, yes no social life whatsoever is the way forward to achieving a First, because my friends have achieved it with a social life, but for someone like me - it literally would have meant do nothing for 3yrs . .if what I have been doing for 3yrs and still left me short of getting the First, then what else would I have had to do to get it?? . . . :dontknow: . . .ah well, I don't officially know my results for another 6weeks, im just speculating . . . .

Frankster1992
Yeaaa maybe, i just hope i get a First, cant say i will because i havent even started the course, dont know the workload or the stress ill be under so its all a blur for me at the moment but i'll know soon enough..

Just really want to make people who have helped me out proud tbh, i am pretty determined though, i'm a boxer though and will hopefully obtain a boxing scholarship at the university im going to, hopefully this will be ok and not add to the increased pressure :p:

Criminology is pretty full on (jus finished doing it), along with Law im sure it'll be stress stress stress. But you sound like you've got your head screwed on with the right work ethic.

Tefhel
I want to get a First in my first year. Might as well try, even if it doesn't count. I'm perfectly happy sacrificing social life to get a higher classification.

I did and I still fell short of it by a few marks . .
DancinBallerina
The only thing I was doing outside of uni, one day a week was my dancing (it was the only thing that kept me sane for 3yrs and gave me a break from it all) and I have still managed to fall short of the First, regardless of studying non stop. In the 3yrs, I have been out once with my uni friends and now and again to events with family, but other than that - it's been non stop studying, living under a stone!!!

Not at all sayin, yes no social life whatsoever is the way forward to achieving a First, because my friends have achieved it with a social life, but for someone like me - it literally would have meant do nothing for 3yrs . .if what I have been doing for 3yrs and still left me short of getting the First, then what else would I have had to do to get it?? . . . :dontknow: . . .ah well, I don't officially know my results for another 6weeks, so it could miraculously change :p:.

Criminology is pretty full on (jus finished doing it), along with Law im sure it'll be stress stress stress. But you said like you've got your head screwed on with the right work ethic.

You might've fallen short by a few marks but you still did really well, well done :biggrin:
Reply 26
DancinBallerina

But if you hadn't maybe you would have ended up missing a 2:1 by a few marks and getting a 2:2?
Reply 27
70% doesn't seem that hard? I just did the IB and got 90%+ in most subjects.
I got a first in my first year, and I think whether you have studied the subject before, as I am doing an BSc economics degree, and as I studied Maths and Economics before, so the core economics modules were repeated and that made it a bit easier. OP have you studied law or have some knowledge related as this will help. But year 2, which I just looked is much more challenging, and more in content. Good luck Op
Reply 29
Surely work hard play hard would be the way to go on this?
Reply 30
Frankster1992
Hey, im due to start University in September studying Law with Criminology LLB, i've been told that you need to get at least 40%+ in the first year to continue with your degree..

Obviously, i will aim for the best possible outcome for my first year but what percentage is best if aiming for a First ?! Thankyou..

I have been told 60%+ would hold me in a good position..
:biggrin:

I aimed to get 55% in first year, got 62%
Aimed to get 65-70% in second year, got 69.5%
Aimed to get 71% in Third year, for 71%
Got a first overall.

Aiming to get a 2:1 is good. 1st year is to have fun and work.
inksplodge
You might've fallen short by a few marks but you still did really well, well done :biggrin:

Tefhel
But if you hadn't maybe you would have ended up missing a 2:1 by a few marks and getting a 2:2?

That's what my mum said -it's better to aim high and still achieve well, than not aim high and achieve something you didn't want . . .I don't officially know my results yet, so it could miraculously change :tongue:. But uni is finished with and I survived 3yrs, considering I was going to quit in my first year!
inksplodge

Yes, a 2:1 is still brilliant!, there is a girl at my work.. and she recieved a 2:1 and she is a brainbox, no lies she is something special... shes going onto do a Masters in Criminology and Criminal justice (i think:confused:) but yeaa she's not init for the money, she wants to become a Cultural Criminologist, to me, that sounds really boring but ohwell... :hmmmm:

Im a dark horse though, i think ill pull something out the bag at university and pull through, dont want to be over-confident but ill be on my own with limited distractions (of which there was loads at home) and i just think i may just pull it off... HOPEFULLY :biggrin: i wouldnt be dissapointed if i recieved a 2:1 i'd be very happy!
DancinBallerina
That's what my mum said -it's better to aim high and still achieve well, than not aim high and achieve something you didn't want . . .I don't officially know my results yet, so it could miraculously change :tongue:. But uni is finished with and I survived 3yrs, considering I was going to quit in my first year!

Well done. :biggrin: A lot of people wouldn't have stuck it out and tried their best, so you've done really well :smile: I hope you're proud of your results :woo:

Apparently at Open Uni you need 85% for a first. Got a long path ahead of me. :biggrin:
samiz20891
I got a first in my first year, and I think whether you have studied the subject before, as I am doing an BSc economics degree, and as I studied Maths and Economics before, so the core economics modules were repeated and that made it a bit easier. OP have you studied law or have some knowledge related as this will help. But year 2, which I just looked is much more challenging, and more in content. Good luck Op

Sounds interesting, i've just finished A-level Law so hopefully like you have stated, that will give me a slight advantage in terms of study for the first year.. i did enjoy the criminal side of things this year like Offences against the person, but we didnt study contract and i've got a feeling that its going to go down like a lead baloon at university :wink:
Thanks and goodluck to you also :yep:
Reply 35
lookahead
70% doesn't seem that hard? I just did the IB and got 90%+ in most subjects.

How dumb. It depend how it's marked...
inksplodge
Well done. :biggrin: A lot of people wouldn't have stuck it out and tried their best, so you've done really well :smile: I hope you're proud of your results :woo:

Apparently at Open Uni you need 85% for a first. Got a long path ahead of me. :biggrin:

LoL I don't want to celebrate just yet as I don't officially know until Sept 14th (so don't want to jinx myself) - but if its a 2:1, will be happy with that. If it wasn't for my friends, I would have gone . . they encouraged me to stay . . and also I didn't want to work full time @ Asda!

Yea I was having a nosey on the OU and it's 85% for a First . .I thought CRIKEY :woo: lol . . .

EDIT: What are you studying with the OU?
Reply 37
To be honest don't listen to the people who say first = no social life. This is untrue.

To be honest what it does mean though is that you have to make the time you do put into your work count. I knew people who would spend weeks on end in the library for full working days but didnt manage a first. Thats because they would spend half of that not focussing.

Me personally i had 100% attendence in lectures (its <10 hours a week yet most cant seem to manage it) i worked hard where it counted, was determined and used my common sense.

So ye for most of the year i did have a social life, but when the essays rolled in or it was exam period i was sensible and hit the books.
Reply 38
I got a good first in my first year, on top of doing 25% more credits than normal (I'm advancing courses this year and the next so I get about 25% more optional modules to choose from in year 3), was treasurer of one society, social sec of another, went to volleyball twice a week and still went out about twice a week. It was very stressful at times but totally worth it, and I don't believe for one bit you should have to give up your social life/grades in favour of the other - just learn to balance them out. Sure, you might end up with 2.1 instead of a first, but think of the experience overall... you want to have fun!
DancinBallerina
LoL I don't want to celebrate just yet as I don't officially know until Sept 14th (so don't want to jinx myself) - but if its a 2:1, will be happy with that.

Yea I was having a nosey on the OU and it's 85% for a First . .I thought CRIKEY :woo: lol . . .

:yep: Hopefully it goes the way you want it to!

I know :s-smilie: I am interested to see what the work load is like and how hard it is to achieve the higher marks. :biggrin: Come on, October :woo: