The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Fresher's Guide to York city

Thought I'd give a few tips on your first year in York, this isn't an exhaustive guide, but it might clue you up on some less well known knowledge about the city.

City Areas

Heslington
Where: Right next to the University (SE York)
Why is it relevant: You'll live next to it
What's there: Browns Sandwiches, The Charles XII, The Deramore, Post Office, Various Banks/Building Societies
Can I walk through it at night?: Yeah

Fulford
Where: Pretty near the University (S York)
Why is it relevant: You'll live next to it
What's there: Designer Outlet mall, Fulford bike repair, Various B&Bs, all of the tourist traffic into town (avoid Fulford Road if possible at peak hours)
Can I walk through it at night?: Yeah

Tang Hall
Where: North of the Uni, on Hull Road, heading towards town (E York)
Why is it relevant: A lot of third/second year students live there/it's near to you
What's there: Gentlemen of ill repute and a lot of speed bumps
Can I walk through it at night?: I'd rather not

Monk's Cross
Where: Get the 4/44/6 bus into town and get the special Monk's Cross bus (NE York)
Why is it relevant: Probably the best shopping in York
What's there: ASDA, Aldi, Sainsbury's, GAME, McDonalds, Evans, New Look, H&M, Boots, HMV etc etc lots of stuff
Can I walk through it at night?: It's a shopping mall...nobody is there, apart from the weirdos that shop at the 24 hour ASDA at 3am...(me)

Supermarkets

ASDA
Probably the cheapest supermarket in the city, but quite hard to get to if you don't have a car. At Monk's Cross. Open 24hours on weekdays.

Travel time by bus/walking: Probably about an hour
Travel time by car: About 10 minutes
How big is it?: Huge, superstore size
How expensive is it: 3/10

Co-op
Pretty expensive, but good for fair trade elitists. Close to the university so quite accessible. On Hull Road, near Tang Hall. Open normal hours.

Travel time by bus/walking: 15 minute walk
Travel time by car: Don't be so lazy, if you have a car, just go to ASDA
How big is it?: Moderate, not a superstore, but no SPAR either
How expensive is it: 8/10

Tesco
There are two in the city, one you'll probably never go to near the racecourse and York College, and one you might go to at Clifton Moor. Open 24hours on weekdays.

Travel time by bus/walking:1 hour 20 mins on the 6 bus, but no transfers so you can have a kip
Travel time by car: 15-20 minutes
How big is it: They're both huge

Sainsbury's Local
Unless Goodricke college opens up a shop next year (they bloody should) your nearest supermarket is Sainsbury's Local in Osbaldwick. It's expensive but it'll fulfill your eggs/milk/bread needs just fine. Open 7am-10pm.

Travel time by bus/walking: 15-20 minute walk (from Goodricke)
Travel time by car: 5 minutes
How big is it: Small, bigger than a corner shop, but about the same size as a normal SPAR
How expensive is it: 7/10

Morrison's
Probably the nearest big supermarket to the University and the most popular among students.

Travel time by bus/walking: 20 minutes
Travel time by car: 5-10 minutes
How big is it: Not a superstore, but still big
How expensive is it: 4/10
Sainsbury’s
Nobody really goes there, because Morrison’s is closer, but if you’re a Rah and you want food then...actually there’s a Waitrose opening closer next year...well I don’t know, maybe if you’re really into Sainsburys’ orange juice or something you’ll want to go.

Travel time by bus/walking: 25 minutes
Travel time by car: 10 minutes
How big is it: Big
How expensive is it: 8/10

Freshways
Not strictly a supermarket, but still really useful, specializes in South Asian products, but stocks a wide variety of stuff, really good for 69p samosas too (:biggrin:)

Travel time by bus/walking: 5-10 minutes
Travel time by car: 2 minutes
How big is it: Moderate
How expensive is it: 5/10

Costcutters
Actually on campus, in exchange square, so number one for convenience, but sooo expensive for everything but booze
Travel time by bus/walking: 2 minutes
Travel time by car: -
How big is it: Moderate
How expensive is it: 9/10

Night life

Ziggy’s
Pretty grimy/historic house that has been converted into a nightclub, sometimes converts into a strip club on certain days (but only the top of the three floors).
Where: Micklegate
How good do I think it is: 4/10
Student day: Wednesday
Is it popular with students: Yes

Vodka Revs
Nice chain bar that lies in the city centre. Does quite nice cocktails, but can be expensive.

Where: Spurriergate
How good do I think it is: 7/10
Student day: N/A
Is it popular with students: Not hugely, but you’ll still go from time to time

Tru
I think its ****. Neon lights and cheesy pop, if you like that then, well I guess you might like it.

Where: Down some back alley near Micklegate
How good do I think it is: 2/10
Student day: Thursday and sometimes Tuesday
Is it popular with students: Yes

Gallery
Art-deco-ey place that’s a little bit away from the other clubs but isn’t really that worth going to. Pretty boring, but probably the best if you want a little bit of space, it’s not too packed normally.

Where: Near Clifford’s Mound/the river
How good do I think it is: 5/10
Student day: Thursday
Is it popular with students: Moderately

Salvation
Probably the best club in town, hires good DJs that actually care about what they’re playing, but is also a small club in terms of space, and often feels over-crowded. Oh, yeah, and it got set on fire a few days ago, but it’ll probably be fine soon.

Where: Rougier Street, near Micklegate
Student day: Tuesday
Is it popular with students: It wasn’t until they made a student day, but it is now

BPM
Right across the street from Salvation, I’ve never been in, and nobody I know at university has, but from what I hear, it’s a local club that isn’t terribly student friendly, also, it’s owned by the same people as Salvation, so expect it to be pretty similar. Probably. I dunno.

Where: Opposite Salvation
How good do I think it is: N/A
Is it popular with students: No

Evil Eye
Evil Eye is...well it’s pretty odd. It’s a kind of spiritualist, hippyish, south-east Asian self-discovery bar type of thing. I can’t really describe it. They’re a cocktail bar with the best selection in town, but with really pretty rank hygiene standards. Oh, and you’ll see this lower, but the food there is really good.

Where: Stonegate
Is it popular with students: Towards the end of the year when people get bored of other places you’ll go a little more

Eating out

I’m sure many of you will be on a shoestring budget, but that makes it all the more important to go somewhere good with your hard non-earnt student loan!

Red Chilli
Where: Rougier Street (next to Salvation)
Category: Chinese (authentic)
Expensiveness: 9/10
Quality: 6/10
Decor: 9/10
Service: 8/10
When should I go: If you wanna go on a flashy date with someone who doesn’t know much about authentic Chinese food
What’s good: Garlic fried Pak Choi
Overall rating: 5/10

ASK
Where: Blake St (near the Museum Gardens)
Category: Italian
Expensiveness: (they do online vouchers all the time, get one!) 6/10
Quality: 8/10
Decor: 10/10
Service: 6/10
When should I go: If you want to get restraunt quality Italian on the cheap
What’s good: Any of the pastas
Overall rating: 7/10

Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK)
Where: Lendal St
Category: American (well actually my kiwi gf tells me it’s owned by some NZers)
Expensiveness: (they do online vouchers all the time) 7/10
Quality: 9/10
Decor: 6/10
Service: 9/10
When should I go: When you want a really bloody big burger. Nom nom nom
What’s good: Burgers with Avocado is good, but bring your veggie friend! They do quite a lot to cater to them
Overall rating: 9/10

Zizzi
Where: Lendal St
Expensiveness: (they do vouchers all the time) 7/10
Decor: 7/10
When should I go: I took my GF on our first date there, worked pretty well
What’s good: The bloody huge Rustica pizzas! (they also do takeaway stuff, but no delivery)

Maxi’s
Where: In the middle of bloody nowhere, on the A64, car required
Category: Chinese (authentic)
Expensiveness: (Go before 6pm and get the dim sum menu, also, VERY IMPORTANT: make a Chinese friend that can order off the significantly better/cheaper Mandarin language menu) 4/10
Decor: 10/10
Service: 10/10
When should I go: When you’re up for an adventure. But yeah, only go with a Chinese/HK/Taiwanese person who speaks Mandarin, also they’ll know what to order
What’s good: Pu-erh tea is ******* good, Char Siu buns are amazing too!

Little Chef
Where: A64 on the way into York, car required
Category: Diner
Expensiveness: 8/10
Decor: 9/10
Service: 10/10
When should I go: On the way into York from wherever, I know I sound mad by the way, but this is one of Heston Blumenthal’s renovated Little Chef’s featured on that C4 documentary a couple of years ago. It’s really good.
What’s good: The Mussels

Garden of India
Where: Fawcett St
Category: Indian
Expensiveness: 6/10 (they do student discount)
Quality: 7/10
Decor: 8/10
When should I go: For good quality Indian food, it’s pretty standard but the best I’ve had in York
What’s good: The chick pea starters, noms

Evil Eye
Category: Cocktail bar/South East Asian (Indonesian, Malay etc)
Quality: 8.5/10
Decor: 2/10
Service: 2/10
When should I go: If you want an interesting cocktail and some...different food. Oh, and if you wanna take an alt girl on a date, trust me, this place will get you major alt brownie points.
What’s good: The Javanese stuff, really unique
Overall rating: 6/10

Cafe Rouge
Where: Low Petergate
Category: French
Service: 9/10
When should I go: Valentine’s day, for a really good date
What’s good: It’s all good
Overall rating: 8/10

Bella Italia
Where: Low Petergate (near Cafe Rouge)
Expensiveness: (Go on Monday, half price for students) 6/10
When should I go: If you want a break from ASK/Zizzi, also cheapest Italian restraunt in town on Mondays
What’s good: The starter platter, really good calamari

Nandos
Where: High Ousegate
Category: Portugese
Expensiveness: 8/10
When should I go: If you want really nice chicken
What’s good: All you can drink coke! Also, get the extra hot chicken for a nice kick!
Overall rating: 8/10

Toby Carvery
Where: In the middle of nowhere, Malton Rd off the A64 towards Monk’s Cross, Car required
Category: English
Expensiveness: 3/10 (go before 6pm on a weekday and get a carvery for £5.25)
Quality: 6/10
Decor: 4/10
Service: 5/10
When should I go: If you want to make up for not having 5 a day for the last year
What’s good: Butterscotch Ice Cream added onto your meal for a quid! Value!

Thai Paragon
Where: Goodramgate
Category: Thai
Quality: 7/10
When should I go: If you REALLY want Thai food
What’s good: The whole fish is quite good, watch out for bones though
Overall rating: 5/10

Hot tips
- Brown’s in Heslington is not only amazing for sandwiches but it also does really good bread/eggs/pizza!
- Petrol: Go to ASDA/Morrisons/Shell, BP is really expensive
- The closest free parking to the city core is at Morrisons
- The designer outlet is **** unless you want to buy really really expensive clothes, also I work in the Jacket Potato place there, say hi
- Go to the 24hour ASDA at 10.30pm-11.30pm, get reduced to clear stuff that is about to go off for 5p, thank me
- Avoid the city centre in a car if possible

If I’ve got anything else to add I’ll do it later.

Scroll to see replies

Really helpfull!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Great idea this :smile:

I'll add my thoughts on the takeaway services I've used, or friends have used:

Garden of India (Indian)

Choice: Good selection of foods on offer, and a varied selection of starters
Delivery Time: Approx 30 minutes
Satisfaction/taste: Generally good food, although my housemates and I mainly stuck with the chicken dishes
Price: Reasonable, about £6/7 for a main with rice/chips, add another £1.50 for naan

Tang Hall Chinese (Chinese)
Choice: Pretty good choice, probably offers everything you'll have at your local chinese
Delivery Time: Can range from 20 minutes when not busy up to 45.
Satisfaction: Probably slightly bigger portion sizes than GoI, and they do taste pretty good
Price: Similar to GoI, you're looking at around £6 for a main. £1 delivery as I recall

Efes (pizza/chicken etc)
Choice: Efes is the pizza place that you'll hear raved about when you come to York, mainly because it's the main takeaway. Many kinds of pizza available, with chicken & burgers available
Delivery Time: Reasonably swift, I don't remember an order being under 30 minutes
Satisfaction: Good amount of topping, but I found them to be a little greasy.
Price: £5ish for 11'...there's also 13' and 15' available

Viking's Kitchen (pizza/chicken etc)
Choice: Very similar to Efes
Delivery Time: Under 30 minutes
Satisfaction: By far a superior pizza to Efes, the whole pizza just tastes nicer. There's also, on the whole, far less grease.
Price: cheapest 11' is £4.50, going up to about £11 for the 6 topping 16' pizza. No delivery

Dominos (pizza) (I've not used this one)
Choice: It's pizza, they'll have what you want
Delivery Time: ?
Satisfaction: According to my takeaway connoisseur friend, very good
Price: More expensive than the other pizza takeways

Ali G's (pizza etc) (not used by me)
Choice: Similar to other's
Delivery Time: About 35 mins
Satisfaction: Not good, from what I've heard
Price: Reasonably similar to other pizza takeways

York Kitchen
Choice: York Kitchen doesn't do takeaway as far as I know, but it is located in prime post-club position; at the bottom of Mickelgate (for Ziggy's), opposite the road from Reflex and a stone's throw from Salvation. There's a selection of pizza's on offer, as well as chicken, burgers and I recall kebabs at a time. Pizza, burgers and chicken are all good, especially the chicken
Delivery Time: It takes about 10 minutes after ordering to get your nosh
Satisfaction: Very good portion sizes, and very tasty food. Or maybe that's the alcohol talking. The staff are nice as well, which is a bonus!
Price: Super-reasonable, pizza's under a fiver, with topping. 2 pieces of chicken & chips comes in at under £4.

Oki's burger van
Choice: Ahh, the burger van. Oki's is at the end of the high street, just by H&M & Game, in prime spot for post-gallery nosh.
Delivery Time: About 5/10 minutes after you order
Satisfaction: Not on York Kitchen level, but it's good stuff, heart and stomach warming after a long night
Price: "Cheeseburger, 2.50 please" is a phrase you'll hear from 'Mr Oki' alot, the food's generally pretty well priced.

As far as clubs go, I'd say Salvation is the only club really worth making a night of going to at the moment in York. Ziggy's is no more a nightclub than just a drunken mess. Which isn't always a bad thing, but be prepared if you're heading that way. You HAVE to be drunk to go to that place.
Evil Eye has the best drinks in York by far and away. The only problem it is very expensive (looking at £5 a drink). They're very good quality though, I'd suggest going there during the day, or for a 'special occasion'. If you go to Evil Eye to get drunk, your wallet will scream at you.

EDIT: I've talked about takeways and clubs. Gosh I conform to stereotypes :frown:
Reply 3
Jenny's Fish and Chips- next to Walmgate Bar, en route to the city from the University.

Doubt they do delivery, and their opening hours aren't the best- but they're by far the nicest chips in York.
Reply 4
AirRaven
Jenny's Fish and Chips- next to Walmgate Bar, en route to the city from the University.

Doubt they do delivery, and their opening hours aren't the best- but they're by far the nicest chips in York.

:yep:
Get someone to sticky this! Great guide, Meadows! :biggrin:
This is insanely good. Have some of my useless rep :P
Reply 7
Not a mention of Flares and Reflex?

Flares being a quiet-alright-ghost-town-with-gropers, and Reflex being a packed-dancebar-with-gropers-and-arsey-music.
Reply 8
oh, sorry, forgot to mention them, never been to flares, but had a horrific experience at reflex. Old women that are 8 pints worse for wear that think they can try and get with a 19 year old fresher. lol
Reply 9
Viking's Kitchen good pizzas? LOL

And don't diss reflex that place is much better than the sweaty armpit can't-move socialite ******** of salvation. It's all about the willow anyway
Can this be in the Wiki? It's brilliant! I'm a York resident... so want to make a few non-student changes but so far resisting the temptation...

Nah, only kidding, here are my edits!:

City Areas:

Badger Hill
Where: Just a bit further away from Heslington, right next to the new Heslington East Campus(SE York)
Why is it relevant: Generally favoured by the "richer" 2nd/3rd year students
What's there: Badger Hill Bakery, Newsagents, a million hairdressers, a fishing tackle shop(?!) and a primary/secondary school (if you want to do some school volunteering)
Can I walk through it at night?: Yeah definatly.

Monk's Cross
Where: Get the 4/44/6 bus into town and get the special Monk's Cross bus - 9 (NE York)
Why is it relevant: Probably the best shopping in York - If you're a boy... only really got "high street" shops, whereas the city centre has quite a few "unique shops"
What's there: ASDA, Aldi, Sainsbury's, GAME, McDonalds, Evans, New Look, H&M, Boots, HMV, Topshop, Miss Selfridges, Dorothy Perkins, Warehouse etc etc lots of stuff
Can I walk through it at night?: It's a shopping mall...nobody is there, apart from the weirdos that shop at the 24 hour ASDA at 3am...(me)... and those weirdos that finish work at 10:30pm (me!)

Supermarkets

Tesco
There are two in the city, one you'll probably never go to near the racecourse and York College, and one you might go to at Clifton Moor. Open 24hours on weekdays - both as unlikely to be visited. The tesco near the racecourse is on a Park and Ride route - so regular buses to the city centre!
Travel time by bus/walking to the racecourse: 30minutes MAX from city centre
Travel time by car: 15-20 minutes ish - the road is quite notoriously busy, so you're best off going down the A64
How big is it: They're both huge

Evil Eye
Evil Eye is...well it’s pretty odd. It’s a kind of spiritualist, hippyish, south-east Asian self-discovery bar type of thing. I can’t really describe it. They’re a cocktail bar with the best selection in town, but with really pretty rank hygiene standards. Oh, and you’ll see this lower, but the food there is really good. This is always packed out during Freshers week with second year students, trying to find somewhere Freshers don't know about yet. If you go on a weekend, it will take an AGE to get served (TIP: The bloke with a shaved head and odd teeth with always serve you if you get some boob out... so I've been told!)
Is it popular with students: Towards the end of the year when people get bored of other places you’ll go a little more

Dusk
Also fairly odd. It's quite dingy and small, but if you get there on a good day, they do really nice 2-4-1 cocktails (bonus!) and offers on beers for students (I think only on Stella).

Monteys
Top of Micklegate (next to a Wetherspoons - which is literally an old mans pub, so you need a group to go in there). It's a "rock bar" but that just means that the background music is a bit more "rock-y". They have a large "smoking area" outside, which is nice to sit in during the summer... and they also do 241 cocktails before 9pm, or all night on Tuesdays

Nags Head
Also on Micklegate. It's a bit of a dive (very odd... like the whole place is wipe clean and rammed into a small place), and always packed, but its a trebles for singles bar, so also a good place to go on the "Micklegate run".

I also can't believe the Willow wasn't included! It NEEDS to be!

There is also a little ice-cream parlour down Back-Swinegate. It's amazing. Go in... especially good if you (or your girlfriend) is a real girly girl!
Reply 11
Cool add ons, and I've never been to Willow, will probably go next year. Add it to the wiki if you want. Anyone got any questions about non-Uni York stuff, me and link will try our best to answer them. No questions is too small or stupid!
Reply 12
also, Jumbo is a popular place for a budget eating-out, it's depending on the time £6-8 and you can eat as much as you want from their Chinese smorgasbord. drinks are really expensive though, but tap water is still free (exploit that!) :biggrin:

Willow is the place to be :smile:
most people go there for an after-party, cause it's open till early morning. I'd recommend to go there early to experience some great old-school hits, plus when there's only a few ppl around the DJ plays whatever you want. Once the ppl start herding for an after-party he puts on some commercial sh** and it's not nice anymore :frown:

Hansom Cab
the best place for pre-lash, super cheap local beers only (try e.g. Alpine Lager), usually very busy (for a reason!)

BPM
I've been there twice (don't ask how that happened). Expensive and full of locals, poor music. You might be hit on by some strange types, ranging from a 50-year old drunk woman to a bunch of homosexuals. In short - avoid that place.
Reply 13
If you're into pizza, get your hands on Domino's and Pizza Hut vouchers and the food becomes a lot more affordable. They print and distribute new vouchers every term but they last for two terms — so make sure you're well stocked! Places like Efe's and Viking's are much too greasy in my opinion.
Just thought I'd comment to bring this thread to the attention of freshers. :smile:
Fantastic article, wish there had been something like this last year! Although trying them all out for the first time is galf the fun.

Not a mention of Mickelgate Pizza?? Their Deal 5 - 2 11" pizzas, 2 bags of chips, 2 cans of drink all for only £10
BARGAIN
Awesome!

Thanks a lot, I'll have to remember to re-read this in October. :smile:
Reply 17
I'd just like to add a few places to this list too, :p:

There's an off licence that sells all sorts & has some right bargains too, aswell as Absinthe and even a vodka thats 88% !! Popular in Freshers week last year too, had some fun with that :biggrin: .
Its called GLUGGLES , on Goodramgate , so just up the road from York St John.
Reply 18
I'd like to add, If you can get a job a morrisons you can use your discount card to get 10% off. Which saves me and my friends **** loads over the year.

The willow does need to be added, but only really recommend it on any night other than friday/saturday due to the extra cost.

Also since when was Evil eye food expensive! it's like £5 a dish and you get a huge amount for your money.
Reply 19
Where can I get pizza hut vouchers? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending