Accepting Oxbridge offers Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Do you have to accept your Oxbridge offer within 20 days? What if you wanted to wait for replies from other Universities first - could you accept your Oxbridge place and then reject it later?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Do you have to accept your Oxbridge offer within 20 days? What if you wanted to wait for replies from other Universities first - could you accept your Oxbridge place and then reject it later?
I was just asked if I could "please inform them within 21 days if I didn't intend to take up the offer". I didn't have to sign anything or anything though and could still choose somewhere else as my "firm" choice.
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Some colleges ask for accepted applicants to write back immediately stating whether or not they plan to accept their offers but I haven't yet seen anyone receive a time limit for replying. You wouldn't accept it through UCAS until you've heard from all your other choices first unless you withdraw your applications from the unis you haven't heard from. Once you accept your oxbridge place through UCAS I don't think you can go back on it until after results' day. During January you may 'accept' your place by writing to your college but when your final decisions are to be made (around March/April) you can still reject them later (harsh ).
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
During January you may 'accept' your place by writing to your college but when your final decisions are to be made (around March/April) you can still reject them later (harsh ).
Can you do that? I did wonder about how binding the Oxford acceptance was. If you did accept a place then turned it down through UCAS would another candidate get it?

When I was made an offer I think i had about a month to reply, I did'nt reply straight away but did reply within the deadline as i was too scared about them taking back the offer .
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Can you do that? I did wonder about how binding the Oxford acceptance was. If you did accept a place then turned it down through UCAS would another candidate get it?
I'm not too sure to be honest. I didn't really think it would be binding because this year a person on this board received an acceptance letter from a uni who went on to reject him via UCAS and there was nothing he could do about it. I thought it might be applied vice versa .

I doubt another candidate would get the place because it would be around the time that everyone would be making their decisions and it would run into all sorts of problems (e.g. if a candidate has already accepted another uni as a firm choice having been rejected from oxbridge I don't know if he/she could back out of it).
Jess
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
interesting thread Tek, I was wondering too, what does happen to the places if someone doesn't accept their offer - is there another mini-pool at the end of Jan, or do these empty places get filled in the summer pool.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)

When I was made an offer I think i had about a month to reply, I did'nt reply straight away but did reply within the deadline as i was too scared about them taking back the offer .
The same for me. I got an offer from Pembroke, had 21 days to accept it. But completely forgot about it, and sent it on Jan 7, and it was Jan 8 that it was due! I hope they got it! I sent it recorded delivery.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
The same for me. I got an offer from Pembroke, had 21 days to accept it. But completely forgot about it, and sent it on Jan 7, and it was Jan 8 that it was due! I hope they got it! I sent it recorded delivery.
jesus christ........

arent u worried about this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads