The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
morecambebay
why do people do this? what is the point?

No idea why they go to those other places but Wolverhampton is all right. I've done both OU and Wolverhampton, I like them both.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Lol_100
I am doing A210 at the O.U and am currently on an 86% average. I attended Newcastle University for my Linguistics degree and I got a 2.1, but I am trying harder at the O.U course as it is a postgrad. Therefore, I'd say the effort levels are pretty much the same but I think it's definitely easier to get higher marks at the O.U so don't worry about it.

Whats the postgrad support like? Same as undergrad or different in any way?
Thinking of a postgrad diploma after my degree.
mart2306
No idea why they go to those other places but Wolverhampton is all right. I've done both OU and Wolverhampton, I like them both.

not what i meant
morecambebay
why do people do this? what is the point?

Some buffoon 'aving a larf no doubt :rolleyes:
Reply 24
They can tell you if they don't think your plans are realistic - eg if you're trying to start with a Level 3 course - and refuse to let you do it. And some courses have requirements for previous study, or that you have to have a related job (eg Nursing)
ily_em
It's not gonna so much harder to get a 1st with the OU than a traditional university - that would be completely unfair. The marking system is just different.

I guess that ily_em is right saying that marking system is different. The study with Open seems to be slightly easier (for those who can cope with this kind of learning and have no other commitments, like full-time job or family), and to keep the quality of its courses, Open has to compensate shortfalls by stressing accuracy.

I believe that an Open degree is somewhat comparable to 'normal' degrees, however, the study experience is completely different from that of other universities.

It's quite interesting to study with Open having previous experience of 5 yrs full-time studies at good - but Polish :wink: - university. I don't find it inferior, but different. Maybe sometimes, I feel a bit restricted by very structured and uniformed courses and assignments, and that there might not be much space for my individuality in tackling problems, or that I'm not really encouraged to broaden my interest in particular field. However, I guess it's not the most essential feature of undergraduate studies. Of course, I might be wrong :smile:
Reply 26
woolgatherer
I guess that ily_em is right saying that marking system is different. The study with Open seems to be slightly easier (for those who can cope with this kind of learning and have no other commitments, like full-time job or family), and to keep the quality of its courses, Open has to compensate shortfalls by stressing accuracy.

I believe that an Open degree is somewhat comparable to 'normal' degrees, however, the study experience is completely different from that of other universities.

It's quite interesting to study with Open having previous experience of 5 yrs full-time studies at good - but Polish :wink: - university. I don't find it inferior, but different. Maybe sometimes, I feel a bit restricted by very structured and uniformed courses and assignments, and that there might not be much space for my individuality in tackling problems, or that I'm not really encouraged to broaden my interest in particular field. However, I guess it's not the most essential feature of undergraduate studies. Of course, I might be wrong :smile:

Depends on the course.
My professional qualification had a portion the OU ran as a module (Winning resources and support). Could show some good individuality in the course (useful considering the wide range of organisations we all worked for) and could focus on the elements of most use to us individually, often discussions covering poacher turned gamekeeper, lottery problems, donor retention and so on.
Stuff we cared about or were interested in.
I do sort of agree that the assessment is quite guided, although maybe this varies between subjects. On my degree there are only two opportunities for any kind of project work, one in a team and one individual, so from that perspective it seems like you're given less time to "do your own thing". But on the other hand, you're basically left to your own devices to arrange all your study, so maybe that balances it out. Slightly disappointing to come out of it without a decent portfolio of project work to show prospective employers, but there you go.
Re: SunburnedCactus and mart2306's posts

I must say that I have the experience of studying two courses only (S104 and SD226) and it's probably not enough to give strong opinions about many aspects of studying with the Open. I have no idea what a level 3 course looks like yet. For me, a mature student, the Open is amazing regarding the opportunity to pick the most interesting courses and to make your degree very personal experience. And here we go, this is a great place to show individuality.

Anyway, I believe that Open 85% is rather what 70% at regular universities. I'm afraid that I used to have to work more and harder to be able to succeed with similar result (>85%) for the same amount of credit points. But again, it was Polish, not British university, and it's really hard to say.
I am studying for BA English Lit and then BSc Maths with the OU. Currently on the second module of the English and have to say it is very different to my experience at a 'brick' university.

There is some support available if you need it and ask for it (the tutors are good), but there is no 'handholding' whatsoever (in contrast to my experience at 'brick' uni, where we were told specifically what, when and how to study at each point). You get the course materials at the start of each module and just work your way through the assignments by the deadline (then sit any exams).

How much 'harder' it is depends very much on whether you prefer continuous guidance or feel happy enough working by yourself. You do occasionally meet up with other students if you attend the optional tutorials or practical lessons and I personally have not found the lack of contact a problem. But I am in my mid-20s now and I certainly would have found this method of study difficult/impossible a few years ago - mainly due to lack of confidence/motivation.

I studied English at A Level and the mark scheme for the OU level 1 module (60pt) seems to roughly match. Although the referencing is more rigorous and essays are generally longer than at A Level as you progress through the module. I studied Business Economics at the 'brick' uni, so can't really compare the mark schemes there. The essays at the 'brick' uni seemed a lot easier, but I think that was due to the amount of help we had from classes/lectures.

There is quite a jump from the level 1 to level 2 modules and although I am studying both together, I am having to put in more hours a week for the level 2 module. The level 2 module also counts as 5% more than the level 1 module in terms of your overall degree score. Judging by my experience so far it would seem that OU level 1 modules are GCSE Level content to year 1 degree content, OU level 2 modules are year 1 to year 2 degree content and OU level 3 modules are the same as year 3 degree content. So a steeper climb than a regular uni, but helpful if you intend to complete a full degree and lack (or need to revise) previous experience in the subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Hi has anyone done a DSE141 course on the OU? x
Reply 31
Original post by mart2306

I can speak for hull and says its a lovely uni shame I picked the wrong course but hey open university is going to be fun and I doubt that it will be easy mode or something
Reply 32
For me the OU is brill. Yes you need to get 85 overall to get a 1st but tbf 85% is quite straightforward if you apply yourself. The level 1 courses don't count which are no more difficult than GCSE's, if even that!

I haven't studied in 17 yrs and I have scored an average of 75% on my two, level 1 courses and I haven't even read the material through from cover to cover.

I wouldn't get to hung up on comparing like for like as there models are completely different plus there are more benefits to the OU as you don't get riddled with debt and you can work a significant job whilst attaining your degree.
Original post by kathyowen
For me the OU is brill. Yes you need to get 85 overall to get a 1st but tbf 85% is quite straightforward if you apply yourself. The level 1 courses don't count which are no more difficult than GCSE's, if even that!

I haven't studied in 17 yrs and I have scored an average of 75% on my two, level 1 courses and I haven't even read the material through from cover to cover.

I wouldn't get to hung up on comparing like for like as there models are completely different plus there are more benefits to the OU as you don't get riddled with debt and you can work a significant job whilst attaining your degree.

There is quite a difference between the OU Level 1 and Level 2 and 3 courses.

Level 1 courses are pass and fail but don't think you can stroll to a first because you are getting 75% on a Level 1 course. 85% on a Level 3 course is achievable but, for illustrative purposes; only 2% and 6% of students received a Distinction on the two Level 3 OU courses I completed (AA309 and AA312).

Certainly in the Humanities, 85%+ takes a lot of time and effort.
Reply 34
Original post by Novocastrian
There is quite a difference between the OU Level 1 and Level 2 and 3 courses.

Level 1 courses are pass and fail but don't think you can stroll to a first because you are getting 75% on a Level 1 course. 85% on a Level 3 course is achievable but, for illustrative purposes; only 2% and 6% of students received a Distinction on the two Level 3 OU courses I completed (AA309 and AA312).

Certainly in the Humanities, 85%+ takes a lot of time and effort.

I appreciate this however because the level 1 courses aren't taken into consideration regarding the weighting I'm not really trying at this stage. Level 1, for me anyway, is easier than a GCSE, I cant imagine year 1 of a brick built uni being this easy!! However I do fully expect come level 2&3, it to be much more difficulty, hence when I get to that stage I will only take on once curse at a time.

The original question was comparing OU with brick built uni's, so in my opinion a 1st would be as equally tricky to get weather the chosen path was OU or traditional, which I think is what I originally said.

Novocastrian: re level 1 you can get a merit & distinction in these as well, but they don count towards your overall weighting.
Reply 35
Level 1, for me anyway, is easier than a GCSE, I cant imagine year 1 of a brick built uni being this easy!! However I do fully expect come level 2&3, it to be much more difficulty, hence when I get to that stage I will only take on once curse at a time.

Either you did difficult GCSE's or I did easy ones :cool: Which L1 courses are you finding easier than GCSE stuff?
Reply 36
Original post by Moggs
Either you did difficult GCSE's or I did easy ones :cool: Which L1 courses are you finding easier than GCSE stuff?

B120 & MU123.

I did my GCSE's 17 years ago, when some might argue they were harder (only joking!) more like the teaching wasn't as good as now.

I am finding it all quite straightforward and the big challenge it getting the TMA's in on time. Can I stress though I'm most certainly not complaining and I did get straight A's in my GCSE's, although that means nothing as it was so long ago.

To be fair though I am doing subjects that compliment my field. I run my own business in finance and so far I have done 'an introduction to business studies' and a 'discovering mathematics', so I would be quite worried if I struggled in them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
B120 & MU123.

I did my GCSE's 17 years ago, when some might argue they were harder (only joking!) more like the teaching wasn't as good as now.

I am finding it all quite straightforward and the big challenge it getting the TMA's in on time. Can I stress though I'm most certainly not complaining and I did get straight A's in my GCSE's, although that means nothing as it was so long ago.

To be fair though I am doing subjects that compliment my field. I run my own business in finance and so far I have done 'an introduction to business studies' and a 'discovering mathematics', so I would be quite worried if I struggled in them.

While it's true that MU123 is a basic maths course you'd find yourself horribly out of depth if you tried to move straight onto level 2 maths. MU123 is supposed to be an introductory maths course for those who haven't done maths in a long time or didn't do well in it at school. By the sounds of it you should have done MST121 and not MU123.
Reply 38
Original post by hmm_what?
While it's true that MU123 is a basic maths course you'd find yourself horribly out of depth if you tried to move straight onto level 2 maths. MU123 is supposed to be an introductory maths course for those who haven't done maths in a long time or didn't do well in it at school. By the sounds of it you should have done MST121 and not MU123.

I dont think so, as I need to get 120 point at level 1, and to get myself back into the swing of things I have picked easy ones for me. I am prepared to be challanged at level 2 & 3 but at this stage I just want to knock the dust off myself and tick the compulsory level 1 box. :smile:
Reply 39
I dont think so, as I need to get 120 point at level 1, and to get myself back into the swing of things I have picked easy ones for me. I am prepared to be challanged at level 2 & 3 but at this stage I just want to knock the dust off myself and tick the compulsory level 1 box. :smile:

You may not be intending to take maths at a higher level but you need to know that MU123 is absolutely not in any way preparation for level 2 maths courses. There's a wide spread in the difficulty of level 1 in order to accommodate people with diferent levels of experience and some of these modules are meant to be studied sequentially. If you just pick the easy ones not only do you waste your time and money but you also fail to adequately prepare yourself for later study. I fear you're setting yourself up for a fall. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending