The Human Being desires judgement

Watch
joey!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'd like to throw out the idea that the human being desires judgement.

The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgment and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary. The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgment of others), soon it will be another subject.

The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization.

Every human institution is like a pyramid. Those with power are at the top; they are more important. They judge, observe, and punish the foundation.

The checks and balances of society are held in place by criminal justice systems. Our criminal justice system is based upon the notion of judgement of one another, at every level of the institution.

Discuss.
MarknSpark
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll just throw some of my initial thoughts about your points out there:

(Original post by joey!)
I'd like to throw out the idea that the human being desires judgement.

The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgment and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary. The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgment of others), soon it will be another subject.

The relationship between God and humanity is not the same as fame. God judges humanity, whereas humans judge the subject of fame. You also indicate that you believe the worship of fame has replaced the worship of God, but is this really the case? Religion is still massive and indeed co exists with fame. You could even argue that God itself is perhaps the ultimate height of fame. Therefore one has not replaced the other.

The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization.

Whether this is true or not, it isn't a reason for your thinking. It seems to me kind of like saying "humans desire judgment because individual humans desire judgment."

Every human institution is like a pyramid. Those with power are at the top; they are more important. They judge, observe, and punish the foundation.

The checks and balances of society are held in place by criminal justice systems. Our criminal justice system is based upon the notion of judgement of one another, at every level of the institution.

I'm not going to really argue with this. However, in the cases you have mentioned here surely humanity is desiring things like vengeance, equality, and safety? In the cases judgment is a means of achieving these desires, but it is not the desire itself. Therefore judgment is crucial to society, but it isn't the subject of such desire that you make out.
joey!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
It's not just criminal justice systems that operate as a pyramid.

Corporations, governments, emergency services etc. etc.
MarknSpark
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by joey!)
It's not just criminal justice systems that operate as a pyramid.

Corporations, governments, emergency services etc. etc.
This is true, but what has that got to do with judgment? I mean, organizations form themselves as a pyramid for a reason, not just to judge people lower than them.
Rachael_B
Report 10 years ago
My initial thought is that maybe it is in fact the other way round; as human beings we tend to judge others (not always consciously).

I don't know what you think of this?
HmLookatThat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This was taken word for word from Deus Ex, a video game from the early 2000's.

Was that... intentional? I don't see you give any credit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (780)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (365)
19.69%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.48%

Watched Threads