Durham University
Durham
paddy
Yes I have. It's in Chat and the Back Room:wink:
EDIT: post 5000, well I'll be buggered.

BLAST!!
Reply 5002
Jelkin
I love England. It's the kind of love that children have for their favourite childhood toys, no matter how grubby/broken/ugly they are.

Urgh, but why?

I have a particular affection for Newcastle, but not for the country....I don't really relate myself to anything that a whole country produces because there are so many different possible ways of growing up I can't say "Oh wow those 11 men won a football match and they're part of the same 68million people in England so I'm just as good as them!" lol....not really!

National pride/nationalism is just wrong. If you're going to be "proud" of a nation then you can only be proud of one thing by thinking that other things are crap. I.e. England is good because some other country is crap. I regularly watch competitions and cheer for countries who I think look better (example being Eurovision where last year I cheered for Romania all the way as it was an awesome song!)...so not "glory supporting" as many people call it, just going for who I think looks the best to me.

In the football world cup last year I supported Iran :smile: Just because I thought it would be so amazing if Iran, one of the so-called "Rogue States" won the world cup :biggrin:

Oops, sorry, bit of a lecture, wish I'd done my dissertation on this, bugger!
Reply 5003
England isn't really that bad. The weather could do with tuning up but there's nothing like a long trip away to remind you how much you miss the place. It's not nationalism per se (I fervently despise it and its hallmarks), people often seem to have a state of mind that I like and enjoy things that I enjoy (ale,cricket,music,sarcasm).
Put it this way, England is so much better than France. :biggrin:

I like Norway too. ;yes;
Reply 5005
arkbar
England isn't really that bad. The weather could do with tuning up but there's nothing like a long trip away to remind you how much you miss the place. It's not nationalism per se (I fervently despise it and its hallmarks), people often seem to have a state of mind that I like and enjoy things that I enjoy (ale,cricket,music,sarcasm).

There are some things that I would miss about England - British comedy for example is second to none.

But these days you can get that anywhere really.

But the negatives far outweigh the positives. I'm sure you get them everywhere, but the BNP and general racist attitude of Britain really pisses me off.

I like the Scandinavian countries which tax loads but have good services. Good for them :smile:
dobbs
There are some things that I would miss about England - British comedy for example is second to none.

But these days you can get that anywhere really.

But the negatives far outweigh the positives. I'm sure you get them everywhere, but the BNP and general racist attitude of Britain really pisses me off.

I like the Scandinavian countries which tax loads but have good services. Good for them :smile:

Yeah, the standard of living is just so high in Norway. It's a brilliant place to live. Not so cheap when you go there on holiday though. :biggrin:
Reply 5007
Becca
Yeah, the standard of living is just so high in Norway. It's a brilliant place to live. Not so cheap when you go there on holiday though. :biggrin:

Prague is quite cheap, but not as cheap as you'd think!

Food is cheap.

Clothes are not.

The public transport is awesome, oh man I loved it! You buy one ticket which is like, erm I think it was 800Kc (like 20p or something!) and you can go right across Prague on a subway then a tram! Or a subway then a bus...it's immense!

Oh yeah, the best thing about Prague is a massive poster in the airport arrivals area (where you get your luggage) which says "Welcome in our country!"....a proper Czech Republic national poster. Wonder which idiot they got to design that.....Lucie was devastated by its English when I told her. Hehe :biggrin:
dobbs
Prague is quite cheap, but not as cheap as you'd think!

Food is cheap.

Clothes are not.

The public transport is awesome, oh man I loved it! You buy one ticket which is like, erm I think it was 800Kc (like 20p or something!) and you can go right across Prague on a subway then a tram! Or a subway then a bus...it's immense!

Oh yeah, the best thing about Prague is a massive poster in the airport arrivals area (where you get your luggage) which says "Welcome in our country!"....a proper Czech Republic national poster. Wonder which idiot they got to design that.....Lucie was devastated by its English when I told her. Hehe :biggrin:

You don't need czech clothing anyway! :p:
Does it get cold there?
Reply 5009
Becca
You don't need czech clothing anyway! :p:
Does it get cold there?

lol czech clothing is cool though - they have some awesome stuff over there, but as I say, it's expensive! :frown:

And yes, I went over the 2nd weekend in November and it was bloody freeeeeeeeeeeezing!! It's a different kind of cold than England though, they have less wind and more like "nice cold" i.e. snow and all that, whereas we get blistery winds, etc.

But apparantly they get down to -20oC in the winter, which I know Scotland and sometimes northern England can reach in the middle of the night in winter, but very rarely (I think I only remember one time a good few years ago when that happened!).

I think their climate isn't too much different from the UK's though.
dobbs
lol czech clothing is cool though - they have some awesome stuff over there, but as I say, it's expensive! :frown:

And yes, I went over the 2nd weekend in November and it was bloody freeeeeeeeeeeezing!! It's a different kind of cold than England though, they have less wind and more like "nice cold" i.e. snow and all that, whereas we get blistery winds, etc.

But apparantly they get down to -20oC in the winter, which I know Scotland and sometimes northern England can reach in the middle of the night in winter, but very rarely (I think I only remember one time a good few years ago when that happened!).

I think their climate isn't too much different from the UK's though.

Buy a ski jacket from Aldi, and you'll be fine. :biggrin:
Reply 5011
Becca
Buy a ski jacket from Aldi, and you'll be fine. :biggrin:

Aldi do ski jackets? Wow!!
dobbs
Aldi do ski jackets? Wow!!

Only occasionally, but ususally around this time of year.
And, as I've always said, Aldi is amazing!! :biggrin:
Merry Christmas to all. May festiveness reign supreme in your heart.
Reply 5014
Merry Christmas, hope you all have a blast on this lovely day! xxx
Happy Christmas Durhamlets :biggrin:

+xmas+
Reply 5016
dobbs
Urgh, but why?

I have a particular affection for Newcastle, but not for the country....I don't really relate myself to anything that a whole country produces because there are so many different possible ways of growing up I can't say "Oh wow those 11 men won a football match and they're part of the same 68million people in England so I'm just as good as them!" lol....not really!

National pride/nationalism is just wrong. If you're going to be "proud" of a nation then you can only be proud of one thing by thinking that other things are crap. I.e. England is good because some other country is crap. I regularly watch competitions and cheer for countries who I think look better (example being Eurovision where last year I cheered for Romania all the way as it was an awesome song!)...so not "glory supporting" as many people call it, just going for who I think looks the best to me.

In the football world cup last year I supported Iran :smile: Just because I thought it would be so amazing if Iran, one of the so-called "Rogue States" won the world cup :biggrin:

Oops, sorry, bit of a lecture, wish I'd done my dissertation on this, bugger!

I didn't say I was an English nationalist! I just love England. I have lived here my whole life and have become fond of it. That's not to say I think other countries are crap, at all! And being proud of something doesn't mean you think other things are crap. Eurovision is generally terrible, but I will cheer for the country with the best song. I couldn't really care less about football, except maybe being mildly pleased if England won something good. [Which we won't, ha ha.]
Reply 5017
dobbs
National pride/nationalism is just wrong. If you're going to be "proud" of a nation then you can only be proud of one thing by thinking that other things are crap.

^o) That is utterly wrong :frown:
Reply 5018
TKR
^o) That is utterly wrong :frown:

You can only form opinions on things by relating them to other things. If everyone in the world could run as fast as the fastest runner in the world, then you couldn't say that he was an amazing runner could you?

Whilst OK, I shouldn't have said by thinking other things were "crap" - but by being "proud" of being British then you're implying that you're glad you are not of any other nationality, and therefore forming the opinion that those other nationalities are "lesser" than British.

Surely if I have the opinion that I'm proud of being a Geographer then I'm saying that I'm glad I'm not studyng any other subject? Being proud is just subjective and no backing of it - should we say that China is the "best" country in the world because it has the highest population and therefore (logically) will have the most people in the world who are proud of it?

Although of course there are completely different levels to it, from just thinking "Oh I'm glad to be English" to BNP-Style "I'm English and so I hate all the ****ing French, Germans, Americans, etc etc"....and this is why people get defensive of it because they think they're being branded as a BNP-supporter just because they like being English. They're not, it's just a simple - if you're proud of being from a particular country, you are implying that every other country is a lesser country than your own.

I could of course get into the whole "supporting national teams" thing which is stupid (and I missed half of last years' Eurovision because of a heated debate on this subject with my housemates in Trevs bar during it!).....it's far too complex and I can never argue it very well. But to keep it simple - I'm not particularly "proud" of being British, I like some things about the country, but not most things. :smile:
Reply 5019
Personally I think you're confusing sunjectivity and ojectivity. Saying you are "proud" or "glad" to be British is not the same as beleiving there is some objective way of ranking countries and that yours outstrips others in this ranking. All it means is that your glad to be of one nationality because there are things that you personally prefer about your country compared to other countries, not that you think this makes them better or worse - it's a totally personal thing.