The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
This thread is closed

Durham General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
The thing is is it's not like "GRRRR YOU DIDN'T COME TO YOUR SEMINAR YOU BETTER GO TO ONE NEXT WEEK OR WE WILL KILL YOU!!!!"

It's more like "You missed your seminar! How could you do that to me? :frown: You know it'll be reeeeeeaaaallllyy handy for your exams....you really should come!! Come on, just come for an hour next week....it'll be alright!! :smile:"

And you just can't say no! :rolleyes:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Reply 5481
CALLING ALL HILD BEDERS - don't forget to vote in the exec elections on www.hildbede.dsu.org.uk - check out my manifesto! (Note: you should have gone to the husts.) Pleeeeease.
I missed 2 seminars because I got confused as to which week I was meant to go,oops!

I'm scared they are going to shout at me for it.

And then last Friday when it was snowing I decided I couldn't be bothered to skid down the hill to a seminar so I mysteriously emailed the tutor 20 minutes before it was due to start claiming illness,hmmm.

In other news...I have got through 40 teabags since Friday.This is not good.
Reply 5483
Did you drink the tea or just lick the teabags?
I once ate a teabag to try and stay awake doing work... It worked.

And are you gonna win Jess? I hope you do, since I lost my hust for treasurer, though there were only 18 votes in it, and my opposition was very greasy - thus able to mobilise voters through lubrication.
Reply 5485
Jelkin
CALLING ALL HILD BEDERS - don't forget to vote in the exec elections on www.hildbede.dsu.org.uk - check out my manifesto! (Note: you should have gone to the husts.) Pleeeeease.

The guy candidate seems like a bit of a ****** from his manifesto!

The girl who isn't you, whilst she has some good "practical" suggestions (rather than just "I want to improve this" she's actually said how she would implement it), cannot spell ("gage" should be "gauge") and is not consistent - within the same sentence saying "organisation" and "organized" - either use an S or a Z..but don't swap!!! :rolleyes:

I think you have a good chance - if you don't get it it'll probably be simply because the other candidate is a year ahead of you and so knows more people to vote for her (probably), things like that. But as I say - you do have a good chance :smile:
It's all about mobilising your voters. Make sure everyone who should be voting for you, is. Do not let apathy beat you like it did to me.

4 of my OWN HOUSEMATES didnt bother to log on and vote for me, saying: 'you'll win it easily, no one will vote for the other guy' unfortunately, 18 more people voted for, the other guy! pfft.

So just get the voters going!
Reply 5487
RobbieC
I once ate a teabag to try and stay awake doing work... It worked.

And are you gonna win Jess? I hope you do, since I lost my hust for treasurer, though there were only 18 votes in it, and my opposition was very greasy - thus able to mobilise voters through lubrication.

"Oi Beardy!" pity you didnt win, i liked the poster.

Tell you what's a real kick in the nuts, when you have "friends" tell you that you shouldnt run for a position as the competition is too stiff and you're hated too much to get elected again.
Lol. This has happened to you then? Surely at Butler everything is up in the air and there is no established stiff competition... Here we have our untouchables and whatnot... unfortunately Im a little outside of that sphere... but I do try!
Reply 5489
RobbieC
Lol. This has happened to you then? Surely at Butler everything is up in the air and there is no established stiff competition... Here we have our untouchables and whatnot... unfortunately Im a little outside of that sphere... but I do try!

it is all up in the air, but in the short while I've been on the Exec. I've ruffled a few too many feathers. Oh yea, and since when has student voting ever been meritocratic? it just doesnt happen.
Reply 5490
It's true. I really, really don't think I'll win. Here's why.

a) The other candidates do maths. People are stupid and assume that maths degree = good treasurer.

b) Jess Clempner is a second year. She was a frep. Her boyfriend is a fourth year (I think) and knows a ****load of people, plus he has been on a lot of committees and stuff. She now knows a lot of freshers, and all his friends.

c) Chris Smith (who clearly put no effort into his manifesto AND has broken about a zillion campaign rules such as campaigning on Facebook) is a lad. Lads will vote for him. He is also funny. People who don't care too much will vote for him. He is also a footballer. Most of the football teams will vote for him. Apparently in his hust he tried to play on the fact that he is from the same town as, and is similar to, our current treasurer.

d) I bet most people won't read the manifestos.

I really, REALLY want this and think I deserve it (definitely did the most research and work towards it and know what I'm talking about the most with it), but I really won't win. And it sucks.
Reply 5491
This is student democracy.
6+6=6
it is all up in the air, but in the short while I've been on the Exec. I've ruffled a few too many feathers. Oh yea, and since when has student voting ever been meritocratic? it just doesnt happen.

It's because people often don't see/understand the things that a person may have acheived.
Reply 5493
Becca
It's because people often don't see/understand the things that a person may have acheived.

indeed. Its sad really, I know the likely competitors for the position I want to go for, I know that despite it being a position where you have to heavily involved for a year, not one of them has made a substantial commitment thus far. Yet I know I wont stand a chance against a few of them. Wont stop me standing though.
You're on the exec and you're an absolute first year noob! How can you complain about the system?!

And Jess, that's prob the best attitude to approach it with, you wont be as disappointed that way, and might be pleasantly surprised!!
Reply 5495
RobbieC
You're on the exec and you're an absolute first year noob! How can you complain about the system?!

And Jess, that's prob the best attitude to approach it with, you wont be as disappointed that way, and might be pleasantly surprised!!

I was a lone candidate, and yet you'de be shocked by how close the election was, I only beat RON by a few votes.
Reply 5496
If I don't get Treasurer I might go for DSU Livers Out Officer so that I can attempt to improve Find a House Month.
Reply 5497
Jelkin
It's true. I really, really don't think I'll win. Here's why.

a) The other candidates do maths. People are stupid and assume that maths degree = good treasurer.

b) Jess Clempner is a second year. She was a frep. Her boyfriend is a fourth year (I think) and knows a ****load of people, plus he has been on a lot of committees and stuff. She now knows a lot of freshers, and all his friends.

c) Chris Smith (who clearly put no effort into his manifesto AND has broken about a zillion campaign rules such as campaigning on Facebook) is a lad. Lads will vote for him. He is also funny. People who don't care too much will vote for him. He is also a footballer. Most of the football teams will vote for him. Apparently in his hust he tried to play on the fact that he is from the same town as, and is similar to, our current treasurer.

d) I bet most people won't read the manifestos.

I really, REALLY want this and think I deserve it (definitely did the most research and work towards it and know what I'm talking about the most with it), but I really won't win. And it sucks.

a) No, people won't equate maths with that. Firstly the majority of people will probably not realise that they do maths, and secondly the position of treasurer really really doesn't have anything to do with what they do in a maths degree.

b) This is the only point of yours that I agree with - and it's true, the way to get elected into a position is to get out there and know everyone. And whilst on one hand it's bloody annoying, it actually works both ways - there are those people who EVERYONE knows and they know everyone else - but everyone dislikes them. It's a shame to say, but yes - it is about knowing people but then again, if people don't know you, they can't be expected to just trust you with an Exec Position from you saying so.

c) Again I think you're wrong. Lads are lads...but only around other lads. Elections are confidential, and when they actually get to the computer they'll actually take it seriously, to an extent, and so you'll have a chance there. There have been plenty of elections where guys and girls have gone for the same position and me and my male mates have been like "He's a loser, no way am I voting for him". Same gender does NOT equal preference :p: (In fact, you have some assets that will sway the lads to your side :biggrin:)

d) Those who don't read manifestos, tend not to vote. Don't worry about that.

e) Oh. There was no e.

Good luck anyway! :smile:
dobbs

c) Again I think you're wrong. Lads are lads...but only around other lads. Elections are confidential, and when they actually get to the computer they'll actually take it seriously, to an extent, and so you'll have a chance there. There have been plenty of elections where guys and girls have gone for the same position and me and my male mates have been like "He's a loser, no way am I voting for him". Same gender does NOT equal preference :p: (In fact, you have some assets that will sway the lads to your side :biggrin:)

I thought she was wrong for c), but for a different reason. I would think guys would vote for the prettiest girl. Maybe that is just me :s-smilie:

Good Luck Jess :smile:
So they can watch her do the accounts? Because I know that really turns me on....

Or would if I were THAT into girls, you know... but Donald Trump...

OMG FIT!!

I think people will vote for which name is the funniest/which poster is well formatted or who did a good/amusing hust/who their friends are...

Latest

Latest