This discussion is closed.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
has put the font on everything really big + made the icons in the bottom left bigger as well... i'm there is a really simple way of gettign it back to normal by doign something in control panel or something... but i don't have a clue what (i have messed around with it for age and i've not found it yet, but i know i've doen it before)

the first person to come up with the answer will get mucho rep from me... this is driving me crazy.

lou xxx
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right click on desktop, go to properties, then display settings and there is an appearance tab, click on that and you can change the size of the fonts.
white_solitude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Right click on desktop, go to properties, then display settings and there is an appearance tab, click on that and you can change the size of the fonts.

u can just right click, go to destop/cutomise desktop/settings and theres this slidy thing that has something like 800*600 pixels, move the slidy thing up and experiment
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What size monitor do you have? If you have a 17" one or bigger it should be in 1024*768 anything below 17" 800*600. Its a matter of preference though.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you mean the quick launch icons in the bootom left hand corner. If so, first right-click the start menu, then go to properties. then click the task bar tab. If the "lock the task bar" box is checked un-check it. Then just right-click at the bottom of the screen below your icons. Click on "view" and you can change the size of the icons there.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by white_solitude)
u can just right click, go to destop/cutomise desktop/settings and theres this slidy thing that has something like 800*600 pixels, move the slidy thing up and experiment
tried that last night- it made everything else smaller except the font.

g4ry- i get to appearance and it won't let me change the font. i knwo it's somethign much simpler than that because i've doen it before.

lou xxx
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)

g4ry- i get to appearance and it won't let me change the font. i knwo it's somethign much simpler than that because i've doen it before.

lou xxx
Is it greyed out so you can't change it and what does the font size currently read? What about the size of the icons, can you change those?
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lou xxx
if u right click on your task bar, then click properties, and go to the tab 'start menu' (assuming ur on XP), then click customize, and select the option that says 'show small icon in start menu'
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hope this is what you want. Go to desktop, right click, then go to properties, then appearance tab, click effects, there is a box which reads "use large icons" un-check that.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
has put the font on everything really big + made the icons in the bottom left bigger as well... i'm there is a really simple way of gettign it back to normal by doign something in control panel or something... but i don't have a clue what (i have messed around with it for age and i've not found it yet, but i know i've doen it before)

the first person to come up with the answer will get mucho rep from me... this is driving me crazy.

lou xxx
Right click desktop, choose properties, then settings, then change the resolution to 1024x768.

Or, in Internet Explorer, try clicking View -> Font Size -> Medium.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What size monitor do you have? If you have a 17" one or bigger it should be in 1024*768 anything below 17" 800*600. Its a matter of preference though.
nah, it's only a 'normal size' one. it's only 800 * 600 at the mo (like it always is).

(Original post by G4ry)
Do you mean the quick launch icons in the bootom left hand corner. If so, first right-click the start menu, then go to properties. then click the task bar tab. If the "lock the task bar" box is checked un-check it. Then just right-click at the bottom of the screen below your icons. Click on "view" and you can change the size of the icons there.
i don't get a properties option. when i right click on start i get open, explore, find and Trend PC-illan 98. in the task bar options i don't get anything do to with size.

it's doing my head in- this all looks about a size 18 to me.

lou xxx
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
Hope this is what you want. Go to desktop, right click, then go to properties, then appearance tab, click effects, there is a box which reads "use large icons" un-check that.
it not checked

lou xxx
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nah, it's only a 'normal size' one. it's only 800 * 600 at the mo (like it always is).

i don't get a properties option. when i right click on start i get open, explore, find and Trend PC-illan 98. in the task bar options i don't get anything do to with size.

lou xxx
Did you try my Internet Explorer tip? Click view -> text size -> medium.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lou xxx
wat version of Windows are you runnign?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
Is it greyed out so you can't change it and what does the font size currently read? What about the size of the icons, can you change those?
yep i can change icons + yes it is greyed out.

(Original post by 4Ed)
if u right click on your task bar, then click properties, and go to the tab 'start menu' (assuming ur on XP), then click customize, and select the option that says 'show small icon in start menu'
tried that... (although i'm not on XP)

lou xxx
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
wat version of Windows are you runnign?
98.... oooh, actually it might be XP (we added on some programme that updated it)

lou xxx
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Could it be greyed out because of permissions. Is there more than one user, do you have administrator rights. Although saying this you said you weren't running XP so it puzzles me slightly.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yep i can change icons + yes it is greyed out.

tried that... (although i'm not on XP)

lou xxx
i'm pretty certain it has something to do with your taskbar......... right click and select properties, and just play around with all the likely options...
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
i'm pretty certain it has something to do with your taskbar......... right click and select properties, and just play around with all the likely options...
i've done a quick search here..... Google groups
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Right i've figured out what i need to change... it's the window text, but that isn't even an option in display -> appearance...

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads