The Student Room Group

Does watching youtube videos count as downloading?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ScouseWheelTrim
:confused:

I rest my case.
It only counts as downloading you were seated at the time, it future use your computer whilst standing up. This trick also works for restaurants and allows you to get free food, try it at home kids.
It is streaming.
Reply 23
i actually read my library's terms and conditions for using the computers and it says do not download anything without permission. i really wanted to ask if i could download the google webpage so i could search something.
Reply 24
ScouseWheelTrim
Ofcourse it count's toward your "download limit" but more fool you for having an ISP that caps bandwith. I simply could not function with an ISP that does that, I use the internet all the time for everything.

But isn't sky the ONLY provider who gives true unlimited internet (with no fair usage policy?) It's not sensible to limit yourself to just one provider, plus not everyone has a choice over their ISP.

But yeah, it does count sadly :smile:
A minute of youtube video in 360p is around 2.5mb :fyi:
gildartz
I rest my case.

No, no you don't.

Glidartz: cool, I hope that unnecessary expansion of what I said made you feel better.

Dystopian91:
No it didn't, it pissed me off actually. People like you keep PC World in business.

Glidartz: ok, now I hope getting into a pointless argument with me made your life suck a little less than it already does.

Dystopian91: It takes two to argue, you're the pointless element of this blowjob.

Glidartz: it takes one idiot to quote someone else for no reason at all.

Dystopian91: :confused:

Glidartz: I rest my case.

Ya mad? ******* ****.
Reply 27
Yes it does.
Reply 28
i was wondering this too. I think i've gone over my limit too :frown:
kpwxx
But isn't sky the ONLY provider who gives true unlimited internet (with no fair usage policy?) It's not sensible to limit yourself to just one provider, plus not everyone has a choice over their ISP.

I know it's not, I never once mentioned sky. Read the post you cited again.
Reply 30
ScouseWheelTrim
I know it's not, I never once mentioned sky. Read the post you cited again.

No what I was saying is that it is the only one. I just mentioned that it's sky incase I was incorrect or you wanted to check it. The point is, there are a lot of ISPs and while band with is important, its not fair to say that everyone should use that one company (which if you only used truly unlimited net you would have to)
Reply 31
Of course it counts, that's how they make their money those bloody greedy sods :p:
I watched the entire IT Crowd series 1,3 and 4 on youtube over two days last week and was informed that I'm not allowed download any more between the hours of 4pm and 12am until next month :emo:
kpwxx
No what I was saying is that it is the only one. I just mentioned that it's sky incase I was incorrect or you wanted to check it. The point is, there are a lot of ISPs and while band with is important, its not fair to say that everyone should use that one company (which if you only used truly unlimited net you would have to)

Well I don't think bandwith limits are something any company should need to constrain because the amount of money they're making, the infrastructure should exist (reinvestment) for that to be done. Given we are a sespit nation of captitalist bull - it's not going to happen very fast though - like a cure for cancer etc. It could be done much faster if it weren't for greed.
creative_
If you have a internet contract with limited download capacity per month, does watching youtube videos count as downloading in this sense? I watch quite a lot of them almost every day and I'm afraid I'll get an invoice for that.
Thanks for your advice!

anything creative you do with your browser counts as downloading, some take alot than others but needless to say, its still counts.
Reply 35
kpwxx

Virgin 50mb has no traffic shaping or limits.
Reply 36
ScouseWheelTrim
Well I don't think bandwith limits are something any company should need to constrain because the amount of money they're making, the infrastructure should exist (reinvestment) for that to be done. Given we are a sespit nation of captitalist bull - it's not going to happen very fast though - like a cure for cancer etc. It could be done much faster if it weren't for greed.

I agree that they shouldn't limit it. With speeds now, they surely aren't that affected by people using more. And since the internet is such a big 'thing' now, it's getting nearer and nearer to being something everyone should be able to have. Obv there has to be a charge, but it seems unfair to limit it. At least there are libraries lol.
Reply 37
majikthise
Virgin 50mb has no traffic shaping or limits.

Says it does on their website? But I'm not gonna argue lol, I of course haven't checked all of them out so there probably is at least one other out there. Realistically the policies are often high anyway, so it only matters in principle.
Reply 38
Don't mean to high jack the thread but does playing online games on consoles also count as downloading?
My dad watches the most pointless things on BBC iplayer. When I say watches, I really mean puts on then falls asleep with it running.

He does not believe me that it is absolutely killing our download limit. I would have perhaps 'accidentally' left this thread open on his computer, but there have been so many idiots saying it doesn't count as a download that he might read and believe those dumb posts.

We're with BT and I'm not sure what our limit is. When we first got it I almost killed my mum for getting one with a limit (even though even that is bloody expensive...), but she was all like 'we don't download anything though! I just check my emails and watch things on iplayer!!'. AAAAARRRRGH!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending